Nausea & almost fainting during HT - common?

I just discovered this Forum and wish I had found it earlier! I'm 41 and I did my first HT (1650 grafts) about 10 days ago.

My question: Is it common to suddenly experience nausea and come close to losing consciousness during the HT?

The morning of the HT, I had a bowl of oatmeal and some coffee. I was anxious/excited about finally getting this done. The procedure started mid-morning and aside from the discomfort of the injections, I felt like I was holding up well.

The doctor had been removing the follicles from my donor area for several minutes when I felt this sudden wave of nausea come over me coupled with a spinning sensation that made me think I was going to pass out. I informed the doctor and he told me to immediately place my head below my knees with my arms by my sides and to breathe deeply. I was given cookies and Coke to eat while I remained in that position.

Eventually, the nausea subsided and he was able to proceed. I was drenched in sweat and exhausted but the cookies and Coke seemed to help.

He mentioned low blood sugar as a cause coupled with anxiety and the physical discomfort of the HT. According to one of the staff, this type of thing is common among first-time HT patients.

I was wondering if it was caused by blood loss - I was sitting up during the entire procedure. Or perhaps it was psychosomatic; moments before I became nauseous, I was thinking that I was getting scalped (very active imagination)!

Any insights on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

I just discovered this Forum and wish I had found it earlier! I'm 41 and I did my first HT (1650 grafts) about 10 days ago.

My question: Is it common to suddenly experience nausea and come close to losing consciousness during the HT?

The morning of the HT, I had a bowl of oatmeal and some coffee. I was anxious/excited about finally getting this done. The procedure started mid-morning and aside from the discomfort of the injections, I felt like I was holding up well.

The doctor had been removing the follicles from my donor area for several minutes when I felt this sudden wave of nausea come over me coupled with a spinning sensation that made me think I was going to pass out. I informed the doctor and he told me to immediately place my head below my knees with my arms by my sides and to breathe deeply. I was given cookies and Coke to eat while I remained in that position.

Eventually, the nausea subsided and he was able to proceed. I was drenched in sweat and exhausted but the cookies and Coke seemed to help.

He mentioned low blood sugar as a cause coupled with anxiety and the physical discomfort of the HT. According to one of the staff, this type of thing is common among first-time HT patients.

I was wondering if it was caused by blood loss - I was sitting up during the entire procedure. Or perhaps it was psychosomatic; moments before I became nauseous, I was thinking that I was getting scalped (very active imagination)!

Any insights on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would have to believe, between the anesthetic, the lack of solid foods for breakfest, may have been the culprit. Coffee, i think,pushed you over the edge.

Since the coffee has caffine, that raises your blood pressure. Then add lack of substance to what you ate, along with the anesthetic. Perfect mix for what happened. LOW BLOOD SUGAR.

Now for someone to say it is common, I disagree with that. I think they may have been just trying to help you feel better about the whole situation.

Sitting up is normal during a procedure, and really shouldn't make any differance.

Everything sounds ok. But word of advise for everyone going under the knife.

There is a reason they say to eat breakfast before surgery.

I guess they should clarify it better though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Follicular Slippage,

I have to desagree with hairbethere, Nausea and passing out is common than what people in general think there is a combination of anxiety ,low sugar and there is nothing to worry about it your doctor did the right thing by giving u sugar. Enjoy your hair.

Hello,

I had an Ht this Tuesday 23rd.

I experienced nausea and was out of it a little bit. they laid me back and had me sniff something nasty a few times. I heard them say my color was coming back , my blood pressure dropped low. I was not feeling to good for a while. I got the shakes for about an hour.

They said I had a reaction to the anesthetic.

Who knows.

The Ht Doctor was an MD so I trusted him.

Thank you all for the insights.

I'll probably be doing another HT and wanted to come up with a solution that might help me avoid the nausea and dizzyness that I experienced.

Based on your collective advice, I plan to:

* Have a BIG breakfast with a glass of OJ and NO coffee.

* Drink lots of water.

* Have another glass of OJ/fruit juice during the procedure.

I' m hoping that this will do the trick and that it wasn't a reaction to the anesthetic as experienced by Wantitback.

Thanks again.

Dear FS,

Consumption of caffeine products is a definite no-no prior and during surgery. It does indeed raise blood presuure just like nicotene and it is highly recommended to abstain from both prior to surgery and shortly thereafter.

Alot of doctors have and still do administer valium, some ambien to relax the patient and to stabilize blood-pressure. I have even heard of Vioxx being utilized! It is possible that you experienced nausea from the side-effects and/or the interaction of the other medications employed. Any of these meds have nausea as a reported side-effect. Did the surgical staff include a nurse or trained medical assistant who took your vitals before administering anesthesia? In addition your medical history and meds should be screened at the time of enrollment and there should be questions asking about your potential negative re-actions or allergies to any known meds.

My premonition is that the food and drink you were given did raise your sugar levels to snap you out of the lathargic state but also to get something in your system to counter-act the full effects of the meds. On your next procedure be sure to eat a good hearty breakfast and try some bagels or something high in carbs to sustain you until lunch. Take care!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 5 months later...

How long does it typically take to cut,remove then sew up the strip?

Are incisions being made in recipient area while the strip is open?

How does the surgeon know how much area to cut for, say, 1200 grafts that the are removed equals exactly 1200 grafts?

What if more or less area than necessary is removed?

MOre than likely it was the coffee as caffeine increases blood pressure and if you had low blood surgar this would be be cause. You will no better next time-- chock it up to experience.