PRP can be very dangerous

hdude46

There is a lot of talk about PRP on here, and rightfully so. These platelets have a lot of growth and stimulant properties which obviously can be correlated to helping control hair loss as well as regrow hair. However, what some of you don't understand is that when you start separating these cells and injecting them into the human body, especially in large doses, they can take on their own growth properties, meaning these cells can grow and turn into different types of tumors, cancers, ect...

While I'm sure to average person PRP appears to be safe (aka without side effects), not enough research has been done to show the long term effects and I would be very hesitant to be using this on my scalp, especially with the possibility you could be aiding in starting a brain tumor in your own body.

There is a lot of talk about PRP on here, and rightfully so. These platelets have a lot of growth and stimulant properties which obviously can be correlated to helping control hair loss as well as regrow hair. However, what some of you don't understand is that when you start separating these cells and injecting them into the human body, especially in large doses, they can take on their own growth properties, meaning these cells can grow and turn into different types of tumors, cancers, ect...

While I'm sure to average person PRP appears to be safe (aka without side effects), not enough research has been done to show the long term effects and I would be very hesitant to be using this on my scalp, especially with the possibility you could be aiding in starting a brain tumor in your own body.

Hdude --

Is there a way that you or your dad can direct everyone to a link discussing these things. I have researched the procedure very thoroughly and found absolutely nothing about any of these risks.

As a matter of fact, I have found source after source citing the procedure as extremely safe as far these things go.

Thanks...

Unless you are reading peer reviewed scientific and medical journals, I doubt a google search is going to provide you with much information. At this point PRP is experimental. I'll ask my father if he could go a but further in depth but as far as I know its not fda approved and the long term risks of these procedures, especially in larger doses, is not known yet.

I was a college quarterback and given PRP on a semi-regular basis for injuries to my arm by our team physicians and I can say that it was an absolute miracle for me personally. There would be days when I could barley lift my arm above my head and yet a few days later my arm would be around 90% and I would be able to play. To my understanding, PRP has been studied fairly extensively and the side effects that you speak of have not manifested. Further, it is not as though PRP is a brand new phenomenon, as it has been used since the 1970's.

Your 'understanding' is not as good as my fathers...that much is for certain. Its application to what we are talking about is brand new and yes, these things have manifested before. But believe what you want....

I'm probably one of the more cynical members of this forum and highly doubt that PRP will have much benefit for hair growth. That being said, I question your motivation in joining this forum and immediately attempting to induce a backlash against a treatment that may prove to be beneficial to many members. Dakota and Caesar08 have both asked you to support your statements with some evidence. Instead of doing so, you responded that your dad works with it and that unless we read medical journals we won't find this information. My apologies, I didn't receive the message that whatever your dad said became gospel truth. You're like that guy who tries to argue that evolution didn't occur, and when you find yourself in a bind you drop the "god did it" line. Considering you offer no support for your statements other than a personal conversation between father and son, everyone on this forum should let what you say go in one ear and out the other.

I don't know what your motivation or agenda for this topic was, but from the arrogance of your previous post and your attempts at ducking legitimate questions, I can only conclude that it is not one that has the best interests of the members at the forefront. At this point, you should either put up, or shut up, and putting up does not mean repeating that your dad works with it.

Hdude --

Again, it would be greatly appreciated if you or your dad can provide anything that cites these risks.

PRP has been done for all types of things for years. Dr. Lindsey himself (who has access to peer review journals, medline, etc.) has had it done for his tendinitis. Dr. Feller and Dr. Law are planning on doing it on themselves.

It's very hard to believe that doctors and dentists would be performing it routinely and for mundane purposes if there was even the slightest risk of tumor growth.

In terms of it never having been used on the scalp... I have no idea as to why that has any relevance. It's just injecting ones own blood into the body.

I do not mean to diminish your father's knowledge, but you really need to provide a lot more detail and information before posting such a alarmist claim.

Honestly, aside from your arrogant reply, Ive been on this forum for a long time as a lurker and just the other day finally joined. If it seems like I have an agenda, and I can see how it may come off that way, then I am sorry because I don't. What benefit would bashing PRP have for me? Really?

I will ask my father, who has a PHD by the way, to look at the peer reviewed stuff on PRP and send it to me so that I can post it. If you don't want to believe what he says then by all means be skeptical but I will do my best to get some info I can post on this. But just because Dr. Feller is incorporating it (and btw I think DR. Feller is awesome) doesn't mean its safe.

If you don't want to believe me don't, and if I were you I would probably be a bit cynical too, but like I said my dad uses this stuff all the time and this is what he told me. If it is so safe, how come its not FDA approved? At this point its all experimental.

Like I said believe what you want, and I again apologize if it looks like I have an agenda, but I don't, other than wanting to warn people that it might not be totally safe.

Caesar - In small doses, yes, it is very beneficial. But we are talking about large doses for years on end to keep the hair.

I'll see what my father can dig up and I'll post it b/c I understand the cynasism. But for me, I would rather believe him who knows a ton about the stuff than a bunch of cynical posters who say where is the proof. Although if I was on your side of the fence I would be saying the same thing probably lol.

Moreover, its not just injecting ones own blood in the body. Its separating these blood cells so there are high concentrations of them to promote and stimulate growth and healing. But when you do this, these cells run the risk of developing their own growth properties, which like I said can mutate into tumors, cancer, ect...

As far as doctors and dentists using them, like I said in small doses. But don't be nieve that there aren't dr's out there using this nonchalatently. Just like there are bad ht surgeons, there are unethical dr's all over the place. If you don't believe me, ask all these ball players getting caught with hgh and womens fertility drugs....

Hdude --

I read over my reply again and didn't really see where it sounded arrogant. If you took it that way, I sincerely apologize for that post. I also don't see any place where I accused you of having an agenda.

I just felt that writing "my dad said you can get a brain tumor" was a bit vague, and that it's a very strong claim to just throw out there without any further info or evidence. It's also alarming because it conflicts with the doctors on this forum who have stated that it is extremely safe.

Again, I'm sorry if my last post sounded nasty in any way. If you are just trying to help out, then I certainly do appreciate it.

Hdude ---

Just realized you weren't addressing your words to me, but to the other poster.

The platelets are essentially gone in a certain amount of time. My understanding is that there is no "buildup" in dosing over time.

hdude - While your at it, please tell us what your dad does with this PRP specifically and what his background is in. Telling us he has a PhD and that he works with it alone does not mean much since I know many PhDs who can't walk and chew gum at the same time icon_smile.gif

Assuming your dad has the background to credibly comment and provide advice/knowledge, I want to thank both you and your dad for sharing.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Comb

that is correct but also they likely would regulate the devices used to extract the PRP.

I say this because while the FDA does not approve LASIK for eye surgery (not a drug), they do approve the devices used for the procedure. So I believe there is possibly a parallel here.

Now let me come to the assistance of hdude46 and perhaps explain what his dad may have cautioned him about:

Some doctors do believe that there may be instances where the application of PRP could be contra indicated. This is when injecting such a substance in the presence of cancerous cells.

I refer you to this website platelet gel

Quote "In her practice APG is applied to open wounds as a means to spur hemostasis and to encourage healingvia the presence of platelet-derived growth factors. She cautions that in her experience there is one clinical circumstance where APG might be contraindicated, specifically, in the presence of cancerous cells, because platelet rich plasma contains properties which may lead to the proliferation of said cells".

So I believe the idea here is that if you have a stray cancerous cell here or there, applying a substance with such great growth enhancing properties like PRP could enable that cell to grow in a way that may not have occurred in the absence of PRP.

Originally posted by miked:

Now let me come to the assistance of hdude46 and perhaps explain what his dad may have cautioned him about:

Some doctors do believe that there may be instances where the application of PRP could be contra indicated. This is when injecting such a substance in the presence of cancerous cells.

I refer you to this website platelet gel

Quote "In her practice APG is applied to open wounds as a means to spur hemostasis and to encourage healingvia the presence of platelet-derived growth factors. She cautions that in her experience there is one clinical circumstance where APG might be contraindicated, specifically, in the presence of cancerous cells, because platelet rich plasma contains properties which may lead to the proliferation of said cells".

So I believe the idea here is that if you have a stray cancerous cell here or there, applying a substance with such great growth enhancing properties like PRP could enable that cell to grow in a way that may not have occurred in the absence of PRP.

Ahh... This makes sense now. Very interesting.

By the way, I'm wondering if there's any novel equipment that's being used either than a centrifuge and needles. My understanding is that hospitals do this sort of thing every single day.

PGP and dakota--- come on guys dont you realize it would be FAR to helpful and appropriate of dr feller if he would weigh in on this subject?? apparently much to helpful... why would Dr. Feler want to do that guys?? its NOT LIKE HE IS JUST ABOUT TO START OFFERING THIS TREATMENT HIMSELF VERY VERY SOON OR ANYTHING......................wait a second?....................................hmmmmm..................

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

Maybe some one can PM Dr. Feller to bring his attention to this subject.. If we still get no answer then maybe someone is avoiding the discusion on purpose! Either way we get what we want. AN ANSWER!