PRP can be very dangerous

hdude46

I'm still reading and learning about PRP. To date, I haven't read anything to suggest it's dangerous. However, the issue of "safety" is just as important as "efficacy" and is certainly worth discussing.

The danger becomes when people believe everything they read right off the bat without doing the proper research. I suspect that PRP will be wrongfully hyped and spread around the internet as either the next cure or the next scam. Some companies will probably take advantage of this hype and make it worse by offering and advertising it as the "solution" for baldness, thus hyping the "cure" mentality. This will cause those deceived by false advertising to scream foul, thus, causing the opposite and equally destructive "scam" mentality.

PRP is already effectively used in healing, but whether or not it really works to help fight hair loss is yet to be fully discovered. I suspect however, that there will be some benefit to it that falls comfortably in the middle between "cure" and "scam", much like Propecia and Rogaine.

But those thinking that it will restore a full head of hair on a bald head are dreaming. It's not that I don't have the same daydreams, but we live in a world where "cures" are an anomaly rather than the norm. But just because something doesn't "cure" us, doesn't mean it's a scam either if there is at least some proven benefit in some hair loss sufferers.

I remain cautiously optimistic and hope that PRP will be a safe and effective treatment that can at least match the benefit of Propecia. I guess time will tell.

Bill

Right on Bill. I for one would not care to go into a doctor's office to give blood, have it reduced and then injected into my scalp periodically so that I could have a better head of hair.

A one time shot maybe. a recurring sentence never. Just not that important to me I suppose.

The issue of potentially enabling the errant cancerous cell would also be a concern for me.

I'll just put it this way - don't count me among the first 5,000 patients or even as a subject within the first 5 years of widespread implementation of this procedure.

• 6 years later...

Armaan123,

Please understand that this thread is almost seven years old. PRP is not dangerous and has shown to be effective for some patients, especially those that are diffused thinners. However, not all PRP is the same as there are many variables that contribute to it's success that are not considered to be standard practice from clinic to clinic. It is imperative to research the success of any single clinic's use of PRP and look at the background and track record of those that offer it.

I represent Dr. Jerry Cooley online. All opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Dr. Cooley. I am not a doctor.

Learn more about Jerry Cooley MD and Hair Center in Charlotte, NC

For complimentary consultations with one of the leading hair transplant doctors worldwide please contact us here.

Hair Transplant Consultation With Jerry Cooley MD at HairCenter.com

• 1 year later...

I am writing from Australia. A company in Sydney called Great Directions offers PRP treatment. Their promotional video ( at the end) talks about the possible long term side effects of PRP. The risk of eg a skin cancer growing faster is mentioned as a known side effect.

I was considering PRP for hair loss associated with radiation to the brain for a malignant cancerous tumour. Having watched that video and read comments on this forum I'm not prepared to take the risk of remnant cancer cells having a growth spurt even though it was all 10 years ago.

I think there must be a significant risk if a company selling PRP says it's a problem.

• 2 months later...

Briefly looking through pubmed, there are some 'in vitro' studies that show definite tumor promoting properties by increasing the blood supply to tumors through a growth factor called VEGF. No actual 'in vivo' trials that I could find.

In particular, who knows if the PRP gets into your systemic circulation at a reasonable level, and if its effects are only local, then you would presumably have to have cancerous/pre-cancerous cells already on your scalp, skull or brain (ie. skin, bone or brain cancer), which are relatively rare in younger folk. It seems, however, that no one knows for sure.