Hair is getting worse after 2 years post surgery

shmutzydawg

all seemed okay 7 months ago..was getting nice and thick

'

now its starting to thin like crazy on top..from the front to the back..its awful..i just sent my doctor an email and pictures..i was taking a medication called depakote they say can lead to hair loss, so i stopped...

any help would be appreciated..WHY WONT IT LET ME POST NUMEROUS PICTURES

hairloss-nov_2009-1.thumb.JPG.1602aeeb290e704c572cb56fd0f32d1c.JPG

Schmutzy,

Unfortuantely, the photo didn't load. To post multiple photos, you have to create a photo album. You can do this by clicking on "New" and "Photo Album" instead of "New" and "Discussion".

Each photo in an album have to be less than 500K in size. You may need to resize your photos if they are larger than that.

I also saw your posts directly to me in the "Open Hair Loss Topics" section of the forum. I've replied and also sent you an email at your request.

Best wishes,

Bill

Something not often discussed, but which I have heard speculated, is that of "hyper inflation"; where due to the vagaries of the maturation process as well as hair cycles, your HT can appear thicker before it actually reaches its ultimate end, which can end up being reached around the 18-24month mark.

It's just a theory, and it doesn't seem to happen to many, at least not to an appreciable degree, however.

Shedding, continued loss, and our ever hyper-critical eyes are often the most likely culprits, though.

As already mentioned, that medication can cause hairloss; hopefully in a bit of time you can determine whether or not it was the cause.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same loss after two years. Had surgery done by one on the top docs, as recommended by this forum. Looked great about a year afterward. Has started to thin since the two year mark. Doc recomended I double Proscar dose to 1/2 tablet per day about 3 months ago. Hope it reverses cause not real happy with the ordeal that I went thru to have it thin out this much.

Doc recomended I double Proscar dose to 1/2 tablet per day about 3 months ago.

Clearly doctors accept that this can happen and is not just the product of over-scrutiny. I hope it works out for you hairtomorrow and you don't get any sides from hiking your dosage to this new level.

hairtomorrow,

Unfortunately, hair loss is progressive and in many cases, subsequent procedures are needed to maintain the head of hair we'd be happy with.

Proven hair loss medication such as finasteride and minoxidil can help slow down, stop, or even reverse some hair loss however, this is not a guarantee. That's why anyone considering surgical hair restoration needs to think long term rather than just about what a single procedure can do for them.

I do agree that medical treatment is a good idea to consider to attempt to get your hair loss under control. If you're lucky, it may help thicken existing hair. But most likely, it will not regrow hair once it's completely gone. Thus, another surgery may be required to get you to where you want to be.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

yeah, it's permanent, provided grafts are taken from the back and the sides which are not susceptable to male pattern baldness.

However, if you have native hair left and get a transplant, the native hair may continue to thin and be lost. That's why follow up procedures and medication are needed.

Spend a lot of time researching this website and forum and don't go to any doc not approved here.

Good luck.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Sherrybalesteros,

Our prescreening process is quite thorough and only those who meet prove to consistently meet our high standards are approved for recommendation.

While our recommendations are not a all encompassing list of all quality physicians in the world, those we do recommend have gone through a vigorous prescreening process and have proven to deliver excellent results.

Patients are still encouraged to research all physicians they are considering, which is the primary purpose of providing a platform for patients to share their genuine experiences and opinions like this forum.

All the Best,

Bill

Sherrybalesteros,

I chose to respond based on this question "do we have the best doctors in this forum?" I wasn't sure if you were familiar with how we prescreened physicians and I figured those who read this thread later should have this information given the nature of your question.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by spex:
Shedding, continued loss, and our ever hyper-critical eyes are often the most likely culprits, though.

I agree with Than icon_smile.gif I still over scrutinise my own hair ebven after all these years - i have learnt though that the less you look at it the better it gets icon_wink.gif

I think there is an element of truth in that statement.