Are we making major strides in hair loss research? 2 questions for the experts here...

These are probably pretty ignorant sounding questions, but I'm hopeful I suppose... Would appreciate feedback from the guys here that have done lots of research.

1. Are we getting closer to being able to implant foreign hair into our scalps to thicken and treat receding hairlines?

2. Is it unrealistic to think in 5 years there will be a solution that will guarantee to grow hair on the head?

Thanks much

These are probably pretty ignorant sounding questions, but I'm hopeful I suppose... Would appreciate feedback from the guys here that have done lots of research.

1. Are we getting closer to being able to implant foreign hair into our scalps to thicken and treat receding hairlines?

2. Is it unrealistic to think in 5 years there will be a solution that will guarantee to grow hair on the head?

Thanks much

One guess would be the next big step or "breakthrough" would be to duplicate your own hair in a lab. Take 1 HDT resistant hair and duplicate a few thousand times. I heard this idea from someone else, but it seems to make sense.

Yeah, I agree. That seems logical to me. One would think if we're able to clone living organisms, then cloning hair would be easy.

Has anyone heard anything about the latest progress on this?

Hmm... After doing some reading today, it sounds like we're a long way away, which stinks. Apparently a company called intercytex was making good progress last year, but they stopped their testing (likely because it wasn't working).

Have any of you guys heard anything about that?

I think we are at a very good point now in hairloss treatments. We can produce virtually undetectable results with a finite donor suppy and potentially slow down or stop hairloss with meds.

The next step is haircloning which basically would give us an infinite donor supply!

that should be available inthe next 5 or so years

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Take it at face value, but I recently heard radio spots sponsored by Aderan's (owned by Bosley...or now owns Bosley...I can't remember) here in Atlanta wanting people to come in to participate in clinical trials. After looking around, it appears to be phase II.

And in case anyone asks, NO I didn't sign up. I just heard the spot and listened with interest.

I'm excited for the future of this technology, but after I had the very awesome opportunity to speak at length with more than one hair restoration physician about it, I am willing to be patient...

Remember that hair multiplication (or hair cloning, or whatever the "hot" term for it is these days) isn't going to be a magic wand that will erase hair loss. The grafts still have to be placed with meticulously-skilled artistry and a million-and-one other variables have to be taken into consideration to ensure a successful procedure.

I certainly don't want to throw dark clouds on anyone's horizon or anything, though. The future's never looked brighter for us would-be "chrome-domes!"

But I guess what I'm trying to say is utilize the treatments that are available right now to salvage what you have *(barring any conditions that keep you from doing so, of course).

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I believe that labs have already succesfully taken a hair and cloned it and grown it in a scalp..The problem is approving this with the FDA. Anytime the FDA sees "human" and "cloning" in the same sentence I don't think they like that very much. That's a huge reason why this is taking forever.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I think eventually there will be more options to fight hair loss. But I must say I am getting tired of hearing "5 years". It seems like they've been saying that for decades. PRP looks to be the next big thing. And then maybe HT multiplication after that.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey Aaron, I completely agree. It seems that every year we hear "In the next 5 years". Very frustrating. I'm curious to hear what comes of this whole Bosley thing... although Bosley has a horrific reputation which scares me.

I agree with Robert and others that stated the future has never looked so bright for us baldies. However, in terms of future advancements, it doesn't appear that much has changed in the last couple of years.

The below article I wrote is a bit old, but since not much has changed it still applies.

See "The Future of Hair Restoration". I've also copied it below for those interested.

------------

Despite the many claims of a ???cure??? for baldness, to date there are only a few viable methods hair restoration.

The first one is through hair loss medication such as finasteride marketed as Propecia and minoxidil marketed as Rogaine ??“ the two FDA approved medical treatments for hair loss. The second is through hair transplantation ??“ a surgical procedure where hair is removed from the donor ???safe zone??? (the sides and back of the head where hairs are not vulnerable to Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the hormone responsible for the loss of genetically predisposed hairs. The harvested hair is then transplanted into recipient incisions in the balding areas made by a hair transplant doctor.

Though some options are more viable than others depending on the hair loss sufferer, none of them offer a ???perfect??? means of hair restoration. Hair loss medication MIGHT restore some hair but is generally better at combating future hair loss. Hair transplantation may give a patient a cosmetically pleasing look and the illusion of density ??“ however, one can never restore a full head of hair.

But what about the future of hair restoration? Will there ever be a hair loss cure?

Hair loss is being researched from two different angles as far as I can tell.

The first angle is finding and curing the cause of hair loss by attacking it at the core. WNTs proteins and the signaling pathway is one such possibility in discovering the root ???cause??? of hair loss in order to find a cure.

The second perspective is hair regeneration or hair multiplication. This is a process in which dermal papilla (DP) cells (the cells responsible for the formation of new hair) are extracted from the donor ???safe zone???, are multiplied and than injected into the balding areas of a hair loss sufferer.

ICX-TRC hair regeneration is being developed by a company called Intercytex. It is currently in Phase II clinical trials in the UK. Preliminary results were expected the first half of 2007 - not sure if they are available yet). These Phase II clinical trials are being conducted at The Farjo Clinic - one of our recommended hair transplant clinics.

In a nutshell, below is how ICX-TRC hair regeneration therapy should work if it becomes approved for safety and efficacy.

Hair follicles and dermal papilla cells will be extracted from a patients scalp which will take approximately 30 minutes or so. These cells will then be sent to a lab and separated from the follicle. The lab will disassociate the DP cells from the follicle and will multiply them over a 3 week process.

The patient will return to the clinic in which time these cloned DP cells will then be injected into the recipient area and eventually grow on a similar timeline as a traditional hair transplant. Unlike a traditional hair transplant however, there will be no recipient sites made with a cutting instrument.

For a Q&A session about ICX-TRC hair regeneration therapy posted by one of our hair restoration discussion forum members, click here.

------------

One concern regarding hair multiplication however, is how the angulation and direction of hair growth will be controlled without a skilled surgeon making recipient sites. Last time I checked, this concern hasn't been fully addressed.

In my opinion, the future may be bright. But since there's nothing immediately over the horizon, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Best wishes,

Bill