Proscar vs Propecia

Joered78

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding these two. First I know that they are the same drug but just different dosages. My question is, what is the advantage of taking proscar over propecia? Is it cheaper? I spend about $235 every 3 months for my prescription of propecia. Do any of you get it cheaper and if so where from? I just have my local dr. prescribe it for me and I pick it up from target pharmacy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

hi bud,

I recently found out from help of people on the forum the following:

Finasteride is the generic form of proscar (both are 5mg tabs) but finasteride is cheaper.

If you fill your Rx at Costco it's like $35 or so for a 30 pill supply of Finasteride (which after you split it in four lasts 4 months) vs. my local pharmacies/CVS/walgreens where it is $90 or so for the same quantity.

Versus propecia, which like you said is on the order of $200-300 for the same quantity.

Seems like a no-brainer, esp. since I'll be taking it for many years...

I used to try and cut Proscar into 5 pieces but it is very difficult. I have recently had hair transplant surgery from Pakistan and have started using a product called Hair Fin which is a 1mg tablet of Finasteride. You could probably order it online.

The only thing with Hair Fin is that I don't really trust the medicine from 3rd world countries because they have very relaxed regulations therefore the quality of the finasteride could be worse? What do you guys think about this?

P.S. Hair Fin costs about ??1.40 for a months supply.

Thanks for the responses guys. Last time I had my doctor write me a propecia refill prescription he changed it to proscar for me but when I went to the target pharmacy they went ahead and just gave me propecia again and it was $235. I may have to go somewhere else to have them fill it I guess!

I agree with Severn. Cutting the tablet into 5ths proves almost impossible and for me, almost a difficult and stressful activity, therefore cutting into 4ths is a very achievable task. Leaving you with 1.25mg each dosage. Some Dr's who recommend this go on to explain that it is okay to skip the 5th day and begin the cycle again on the 6th. I however prefer to re-continue the cycle on day 6.

Regarding Hair Fin from Pakistan and its economy compared to Europe or North America, then perhaps the cost stated is realistic. However, with these presumptions come the problem mentioned, that the medical quality control may not be quite as tight and specific as we are used to! Interesting!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I also cut my pills into 4's but another option is to dissolve the pill in 5ml of alcohol such as vodka, then put the liquid in a syringe and take 1ml per day.

I believe Dr Reddy, an Indian company that manufacture very cost effective Finasteride and Dutasteride also supply pharmaceuticals to America and other western nation companies (at least thats what I read) so I personally wouldn't be overly concerned regarding their quality.

I know some people don't even trust generic finasteride, let alone getting a generic from overseas.... personally i wouldn't mess around with a med not made in a US pharmacy, just isn't worth the risk for your precious hair.

cutting the pill in 4 is hard enough, i can't imaging trying to cut it in 5 -- generic finasteride is a SMALL pill..... i wouldn't skip a daily dose either, but just my personal opinion.

i think the AM is the best time to take it, your body's productions of steroid hormones are at the highest then... anyone agree/disagree?

Maxxy,

My Finasteride is produced by Mylan:

http://www.mylanpharms.com/pro...aspx?pid=187&query=1

This is the stuff I have now which I got from my local pharmacy. When it runs out I'm filling at Costco; I'm not sure which company produces their Finasteride.

Spex: That looks pretty hard to me, also the Finasteride pill is a bit smaller than the Proscar pill, and I have a hard enough time cutting it into 4 even pieces with a pill-cutter! Also, when you cut like that you're taking a bit less than 1mg on some days and a bit more on other days, whereas w/ a 4-way split you know you're getting at LEAST the recommended dose of 1mg every day. Maybe it doesn't matter though...

Hello everyone! I'm new and will be following up as much as I can with my progress.

I heard that taking finasteride every other day can be as effective as once a day, with less negative sides.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I am taking finasteride 5 mg every other day. Its easier to cut the pill into two. i talked to 2 docs and both recommended that taking it every other day is also as effective. plus its so cheap. i got 100 pills from costco for $83. you don't have to be a costco member to buy medicines there.

I don't take the whole proscar pill. I cut the 5 mg pill into 2, so i am taking 2.5mg EOD. or if you like you can cut the pill into 4 pieces and take it every day. are you taking 1/4 tablet every other day?

In response to the question of where to buy Finasteride (proscar) at a low cost, I haven't found anyone who sells it for less than here:

www.canadadrugs.com

They are reliable and shipping has never failed. 112 tablets of the generic Finasteride 5mg tablets is $154 with free shipping.

I hope some of you find this useful!

Panama Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...