How many grafts should I expect to need?

Hi all, I was just wondering what number of grafts should I expect to need for a good result if I was to have a transplant to fill in my temple areas? Thanks for any help! (Pictures are of 2week and 1week growth from shaved bald)

PXL_20240420_094959465.jpg

PXL_20240420_094959465~2.jpg

PXL_20240324_114015939.jpg

Edited by Jack97

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Phillyman1996 said:

Nice you prob need 1200-1800 grafts

Okay interesting. I appreciate that. I had a consultation recently for the temples and they quoted me 1000 grafts which I thought seemed fewer than I personally expected. But I am not an expert. 

Edited by Jack97

4 minutes ago, Jack97 said:

Okay interesting. I appreciate that. I had a consultation recently for the temples and they quoted me 1000 grafts which I thought seemed fewer than I personally expected. But I am not an expert. 

Who was the consult with? 

7 minutes ago, Jack97 said:

It was UK Wimpole Clinic London Harley Street. The consultancy I had was in Brighton.

I had somewhat similar recession to you I had 3000 grafts but I got fine hair that's black on light skin

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, WhiteyUK said:

Nowhere near 3000 required for that highlighted area, 1200 max

Ah, okay, thank you for letting me know. I'm just putting feelers out there as my hair loss has only become noticeable to me in the past year or so. I wasn't very comfortable after the consultation as it felt very rushed and they seemed to be trying to get me out the door, it only lasted around 15 minutes and they didn't really answer my questions or properly look at my hair. So I was sceptical that they had underestimated the amount of grafts I would need. Especially as I have quite fine hair. This is not an area I am very familiar with so I appreciate the help.

Edited by Jack97

• Valued Contributor
5 hours ago, Jack97 said:

It was UK Wimpole Clinic London Harley Street. The consultancy I had was in Brighton.

Avoid Wimpole.

In the UK we have Dr Ball, Dr Ted and Dr Mani who are all very, very good options. There's also Dr Reddy, Dr Farjo and Dr Arshad. Whilst I'm sure there's a few hidden gems on the brink of emerging in the UK that aren't yet known, these six are by far your best & safest bets in the UK. Personally I really like the former three (hence mentioning them first), but other posters may take a different view.

I would guess you need around 1500 grafts, give or take. Make sure you opt for a conservative approach to preserve your donor to meet the future needs of your hair loss.

Posted (edited)

Hi Jack, what is your age and are you on meds for hair loss? If I understand you are not on any yet.  Be careful with small surgeries if young and not on meds..1000 - 1200 and get on meds to see firstly if you tolerate them and then if you stabilize or have growth...If not on meds then the risk is you have this transplant become isolated and will be a bad decision if you then lose significantly with time...So, if under 25 forget it and just meds is the best way, if over then meds first and then see for HT. Be good to see your donor also to make sure all good. 

Edited by laverita

1500 I would say but if you intend to get on meds (I wouldn't recommend it) then you should do it sooner rather than later and then see how that impacts your hair loss before making a decision. The pattern of the rest of the hair loss will have an impact on how many grafts they use this time and plans for the future. How your body reacts to the meds will have an impact on this then.

I would personally not to do in the UK either, and especially not at Wimpole. Are you picking this based on location or have you seen especially good patient posted results on a public forum such as this? If the former, that is a terrible motivating factor. 

Posted (edited)

Hi Trix, my thoughts were it's in the UK so travel is possible for me, and they seem to have a lot of positive reviews. May I ask why you personally wouldn't recommend meds? Many thanks.

laverita I am 27 years old at the moment but a late bloomer. Thank you for the information.

Berba11 I will look into the doctor's you recommended. All help and suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks all

Edited by Jack97
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack97 said:

Hi Trix, my thoughts were it's in the UK so travel is possible for me, and they seem to have a lot of positive reviews. May I ask why you personally wouldn't recommend meds? Many thanks.

When I talk about location, I mean that people choosing a clinic because it is in the same city/state/country as them is a bad motivating factor. It is not hard, time consuming or expensive to get to Continental Europe from the UK and your results will be better and/or cheaper. I did mine in Switzerland and had consultations in Belgium with several clinics and an online consultation in Spain. I am not from the UK but I lived there at the time and so this would have been the most convenient to me. Several years, I maintain this was the best decision I made.

On the reviews - they have lots of positive reviews online where and by who? Are they by patients on a public forum like this where they are easily scrutinised for authenticity and held accountable? If not, they are not worth anything. Any clinic can set up fake accounts on Google Reviews etc. Chain clinics are hair mills. You will regret it.

On meds -  this goes in the face of perceived wisdom but I do not care. Check out post-finasteride syndrome. Everybody seems very quick to prescribe meds to people, and I do not mean just doctors. All the forums recommend the same thing and most people on these forums are not doctors and even the doctors are not endocrinologists. In a few years, about 20 in your case, you will be wanting to hold on to as much free DHT as you can for regular functioning of your organism. You are considering going on meds now, for a temporary aesthetic gain (it does not stop it, it slows it down), to dampen your free DHT. Google low free DHT symptoms and age, or something similar. Also, I have had conversations about meds with top docs (Feriduni, Muresanu etc.) and they agree there is no study to support these meds have no side effects in the long-term. It is actually Feriduni who told me about post-finasteride syndrome and he said he no longer recommends the meds to patients.

• Like 1