what is the average density of a donor (fu per square centimeter)

• Administrators

It varies widely, as a general rule of thumb. Visible hair loss isn't visible until around 40 fu per cm2. Donors can range from 65-80 fu per cm2. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It’s supposed to be in terms of FUs.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

hairs or follicle units?

Follicle unit just contains x number of hairs, what matters is hair count.

A good donor is above 100 hairs per cm2 

9 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

so youre saying average donor has 80-90 fu per sqcm?

IMHO 80-90 is above average.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

8 hours ago, Maorizio said:

Follicle unit just contains x number of hairs, what matters is hair count.

A good donor is above 100 hairs per cm2 

I would consider that a superior donor density level.

Gillenator

22 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

what would be considered an average donor density wise, what above average, what a poor donor?

I would say less than 60 fu/cm^2 is poor, between 60-80 fu/cm^2 is average, and more than 80 fu/cm^2 is above average.

I saw Dr Bruno Ferreira and was told I have a great donor area with about 100 fu/cm^2, I also have a lot of doubles, triples and quadruples so this would easily translate to more than 200 hairs/cm^2. 

So, if you want some photos on what an "above average" donor area looks like you can take a look at my consultation report and photos of my donor area on my thread - link below:

3 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

I would say less than 60 fu/cm^2 is poor, between 60-80 fu/cm^2 is average, and more than 80 fu/cm^2 is above average.

I saw Dr Bruno Ferreira and was told I have a great donor area with about 100 fu/cm^2, I also have a lot of doubles, triples and quadruples so this would easily translate to more than 200 hairs/cm^2. 

So, if you want some photos on what an "above average" donor area looks like you can take a look at my consultation report and photos of my donor area on my thread - link below:

well, damn

kinda jealous

my donor density came back with 65-75 density (fu / sqcm) but i didnt get told how much hair. feels like im a bit cooked even though its hopefully within the means of average

8 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

well, damn

kinda jealous

my donor density came back with 65-75 density (fu / sqcm) but i didnt get told how much hair. feels like im a bit cooked even though its hopefully within the means of average

Everyone is different! I may be fortunate with a good donor, but I am a NW5 diffuse so I will need quite a lot of grafts for full coverage.

65-75 is very decent in terms of density, most people have a graft to hair ratio of 2.05-2.25 so assuming you're in that range you're looking at 140 to 160 hairs per cm^2. 

Remember other characteristics are equally as important to help with the illusion of density, such as as hair color, scalp/skin color, and of course hair thickness. Someone with thick hair but a bad skin/hair contrast will need more grafts vs someone with a white or pale skin and light blonde hair.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting discussion 

So what by rule of thumb is the no go level for surgeons ? I assume age also plays a factor in that too?

For example if someone has say a density in the donor of a lowish figure like 50-60 in their 30s that’s massively different to that of someone in their 50s when planning a surgery.

Edited by ScottishGuy21

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Ccd99 said:

Would be interesting to see how many grafts you need or donor capacity you have using scalp scan or Dr. Zarev’s software. 100 fu’s per cm2 is very rare. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Would be interesting to see how many grafts you need or donor capacity you have using scalp scan or Dr. Zarev’s software. 100 fu’s per cm2 is very rare. 

I would love for an opportunity for a consult with Dr. Zarev! But I cannot afford his off-schedule pricing so that's not an option unfortunately.

I tried using ScalpScan but I am having troubles making it work, it keeps saying "Not Enough Light" so I just gave up on getting it to work! I think it needs to be in a well-lit room with a proper lighting setup.

EDIT: Yes I am aware 90+ is rare, and I was very surprised myself. Dr Ferreira did say I have some miniaturisation in my donor but despite the miniaturisation he said it's easily 100 fu's per cm^2.

In all honesty my whole life I've always been told by people that my side and back hair is very dense, so it's good to know the numbers back that up. I know I have enough donor capacity to provide full coverage, but I hope it can be done in a way to minimise FUE scarring as I like to have my hair as a short fade.

Edited by Ccd99

Average density is not only measured by number of grafts per sq cm, it's also depending on the type of hair and scalp empty areas measurements, 50-60 sq cm of my type of hair won't give the same coverage effect of a candidate with fine thin blonde hair or candidate with thick curly hair, there's no binary formula, every candidate is a unique case with it's own potential, average density is just a single property for evaluation.

• Like 2

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.