I joined this site around 10 years ago where I gained some invaluable information. I've been out of the loop for the past 8 years 

I started on Finisteride 1mg 8 years ago. It regrew loads of hair at the crown and back and held what was left of the the front. 

I've noticed that my hairline is creeping further and further back now. If I've got this right, I'm probably IVA on the scale now. I'm now at the stage where I'm contemplating shaving it down, which I'm really not keen on, or getting a transplant.

I've got a few questions:

1, I know everyone is different, but do you think it will keep on creep back, or should the Finisteride hold the back half and crown?

2, Could someone give me an estimate (again, I know everyone is different) of what it would cost to get the transplant. I'm UK based, and I'd prefer to have it done here if possible, but would consider a reputable clinic in Europe if it was worth the travel.

3, I think I'd prefer FUE over strip. Are there any other methods to consider?

4, Any do's and don'ts gratefully received 

Thanks all in advance 👍

• Moderators

It's great that you were able to keep and even increase your hair for 8 years just on meds. Unfortunately in some cases the hair loss genes eventually over power the meds and you may start to lose ground again. This could be where you are at. There's no way to really tell for sure. If you just noticed it recently then it could be just a shed that will grow back. Do you have any pictures of your current situation? That would help. Most people are getting FUE these days. Not many Drs even do FUT any more.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Pics would definitely help and take a closer look at docs in Europe.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, newby1234 said:

1, I know everyone is different, but do you think it will keep on creep back, or should the Finisteride hold the back half and crown?

How old are you @newby1234? If you could also share some pics it would give us all a better idea to give you more accurate answers. All the best!

Posted (edited)

I've just looked back at a previous photo which made me realise I needed to do something! I had forgotten how bad it had gotten! The first one was February 2015. 

The second one is from today which shows frontal third/half  needing work!IMG-20150201-WA0001.jpg.55b18e7e4b0a5d93ec270a28f82da62a.jpg

1000011897.thumb.jpg.8f1ef751cec223c2b789ecaeaad7ac1f.jpg1000011902.thumb.jpg.670fb3892745ab04c089fc5f7337a36a.jpg

The one above is again from today, but with hair brushed forward ! Definitely a great advert for Finisteride!

I'm 46 years of age now.

Edited by newby1234
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:05 AM, Gatsby said:

How old are you @newby1234? If you could also share some pics it would give us all a better idea to give you more accurate answers. All the best!

Pictures uploaded. Any guidance would be appreciated!

• Valued Contributor

I would look at the forum's recommended surgeons. Have a look at patient posted results. Look for patients who have a similar level of hair loss with results that you want to achieve. You will find a commonality eventually to narrow down surgeons to about two or three. Firstly (I'm not a doctor) but I would recommend that you try finasteride to stabilize your hair loss. You have a lot of hair to keep! Also don't look for the cheapest and surgeon. If your surgeon happens to be in the UK then good and well. But be prepared to travel. This is surgery for life that you will have to look at in the mirror every morning. All the best!

• Like 1

• Administrators

We’ve added some new surgeons from the UK. Check out our list: 

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

I suggest consulting with many. Hattingen in Switzerland is going to be in London next weekend. They’re definitely worth consulting.

8483835c-e1c0-4b72-b62d-6c6b640c00ad.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.