Dr Pitella impossible hair transplant

• Moderators

Adding to my previous post... over the past few years I've become a big fan of using body hair because it lasts much longer than scalp hair. For men who become NW 7s or even men who just start thinning all over their head as they get older, over the long run the body hair transplanted to your head is going to far outlast the scalp hair that was transplanted. I've been losing scalp hair for the past 40+ years yet I'm still gaining hair everywhere else.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Posted (edited)

To be honest, i don't like this idea. I am not a fan of beard grafts at all, but i have to admit that sometimes with right proportions like 80% scalp grafts and 20% beard grafts it can work out. 

However when you transplant 50% and more beard grafts it starts to look unnatural and one of the goals of HT is naturalness. So 100% beard grafts, it is pretty much bird nest on the head and everybody can clap hands and say "wow, it grew so well, bravo!!", but i would rather embrace the baldness and shave completely bald then do such kitschy procedure. 

Edited by GeneralNorwood
  • Like 3

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Perhaps a relatively short haircut with the beard grafts will look good.

I don't know how old this patient is, nor what his motivation is to do this now. I am assuming he is pretty old. One would think at this point considering the quality of the donor area, it would be better just to accept the situation and move on. 

I'm on the fence with this one, do I hope it turns out well for the patient? Yes of course, but I have seen cases before when a excess of beard grafts are used that are not so great. 

Of course we know beard grafts are thicker and usually only singles, but I still think a whole scalp of them isn't going to be naturally pleasing. Dr Pittella is pretty fantastic so let's wait and see. I'm just not convinced yet, and like others I have been very impressed with his work, and how he's pushing the boundaries of what's possible. 

Is this a step too far? Going to be a interesting one to follow to say the least. 

As long as both the patient and doctor are on same page in terms of expectations and risks…this is a win-win for both. Patient may end up with something he is happy with and doctor gets to push the boundary a little bit further and hopefully open door for many such cases! Either way…this one is going to be a very interesting case to follow!

• Like 4

12.5k grafts with Dr. Felipe Pitella in Jan 2024.

Link to my journey:

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/71724-12501-grafts-dr-felipe-pittella-jan-2024/

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, YodaHead said:

As long as both the patient and doctor are on same page in terms of expectations and risks…this is a win-win for both. Patient may end up with something he is happy with and doctor gets to push the boundary a little bit further and hopefully open door for many such cases! Either way…this one is going to be a very interesting case to follow!

Yes, end of the day. What matters most is the patient’s goals. If the doctor explains what’s possible and realistic and the patient is happy with it, not much anyone can say.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
  • Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

8 minutes ago, BaldReaper said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4CMWHvttAa/?igsh=anB2cXVzMGxzYmp4

I saw this ht on Dr Pitella’s instagram page. Anyone knows what the result looks like or any details about the procedure like grafts etc.?

This guy was literally a NW8

I've heard that approx 11k body grafts were used.

4 hours ago, BaldReaper said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4CMWHvttAa/?igsh=anB2cXVzMGxzYmp4

I saw this ht on Dr Pitella’s instagram page. Anyone knows what the result looks like or any details about the procedure like grafts etc.?

This guy was literally a NW8

The procedure was done before 1 week, so there's no result yet. Also Dr Pittella says on the instagram comments that this was mostly done with beard grafts

• Administrators
  • Thanks 1

View my thread

3 hours ago, BaldReaper said:

Where did you hear that? 

Here it is ↓

On 3/5/2024 at 3:51 AM, Gatsby said:

Dr Pittella showed me the graft breakdown last night (without the patient’s name). It’s pretty much all beard grafts and it is impressive! Over 11k of beard!!!!

• Like 1

We definitely need some better pictures pre-op and some data on how many grafts were used and from where.

If this is succesfull it will be the best hair transplant in history

3 hours ago, Shadman said:

Here it is ↓

11k beard grafts will be slightly over 1 hair per follicle, so about half as many as using scalp as a donor source. 6k scalp grafts wouldn't cover the area entirely, so I'm not expecting a miracle here, but do expect/hope for very effective use of grafts to give a good illusion of density.

On 3/4/2024 at 3:31 PM, Al - Moderator said:

The old transplants may have worked at the time (at least as far as getting growth), but his hair has thinned out so badly which means the transplanted hair would have thinned out just as much. You can see he has a few wisps of hair still growing over the top of his head when the Dr combs over it. The back is very thin, but the top will be even thinner because those grafts would have been spread out over a larger area than the small area where it came from. I'm in the same situation. It isn't as noticeable on me because I started repair work 10 years ago before it got so bad that I didn't have any transplanted hair left, but if I hadn't had any body hair added over the past 10 years I'd have almost nothing left throughout my entire original transplanted area right now.

Here is a picture I posted of myself some time ago. It's a bit blurry, but you can see the many rows of scars with almost no hair around them because the retrograde balding went up so far. This area was once full of thick hair which is why hair was taken from that area.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 6.50.00 AM.png

Were you on finastride ?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, bigmistake said:

Were you on finastride ?

I was on it for roughly 11 years from 1998 to 2009. I think it helped a bit the first few years but after that I was definitely losing hair, so I decided there was no point to continue on it. I felt why should I suffer the side effects and unknown long term issues if it’s not solving the problem. If it was working I would have stayed on it. I think my hair loss is just too aggressive for it. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, Al - Moderator said:

I was on it for roughly 11 years from 1998 to 2009. I think it helped a bit the first few years but after that I was definitely losing hair, so I decided there was no point to continue on it. I felt why should I suffer the side effects and unknown long term issues if it’s not solving the problem. If it was working I would have stayed on it. I think my hair loss is just too aggressive for it. 

So were you having any side effects from it. I have retrograde alopecia and in need for a repair. My doctor says I can get a repair as long as I commit to finastride (oral or topical) currently on topical .25 for the last six months. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bigmistake said:

So were you having any side effects from it. I have retrograde alopecia and in need for a repair. My doctor says I can get a repair as long as I commit to finastride (oral or topical) currently on topical .25 for the last six months. 

I would say mild sexual side effects. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't deal with it, but if it's not going to keep my hair then I may as well get my libido back. If my hair had not started falling out again I would have stayed on it.

EDIT: I almost forgot. I should point out the biggest reason I stopped using finasteride. Since it wasn't keeping the hair on my head I knew I was eventually going to use beard and chest grafts as they were just becoming a thing then, but the finasteride was thinning out my body hair, so that was a big incentive to stop. Also, just for reference, I was taking 1.25mg about every other day.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

40 minutes ago, Al - Moderator said:

I would say mild sexual side effects. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't deal with it, but if it's not going to keep my hair then I may as well get my libido back. If my hair had not started falling out again I would have stayed on it.

EDIT: I almost forgot. I should point out the biggest reason I stopped using finasteride. Since it wasn't keeping the hair on my head I knew I was eventually going to use beard and chest grafts as they were just becoming a thing then, but the finasteride was thinning out my body hair, so that was a big incentive to stop. Also, just for reference, I was taking 1.25mg about every other day.

I'm not sure why doctors  deny that finastride causes side effects. Some doctors go a step further and ridicule people saying that they have side effects. I think people should keep measuring their DHT levels and Total Testosterone every three months and taper dosage of finastride as per DHT blood levels.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, bigmistake said:

I'm not sure why doctors  deny that finastride causes side effects. Some doctors go a step further and ridicule people saying that they have side effects. I think people should keep measuring their DHT levels and Total Testosterone every three months and taper dosage of finastride as per DHT blood levels.

I think most doctors agree that side effects do occur, but in a small percentage of men. Even @Al - Moderator said it was sides he could tolerate. 

View my thread