Why is this forum so pro meds for NW6/7?

I was wondering why hrn has recently turned so pro med. Regularly, I see posters telling NW7s to try finasteride and oral minoxidil, the former which has several labels describing potential permanent sexual side effects and the latter having a black box label for heart related sides. Just more generally, you are changing several hormonal and cardiac biomarkers for decades that isn’t a natural thing to do -- especially when these drugs weren't even intended to treat hair loss, that is just a side effect of which there could be countless negative ones as well.

Granted, both of these are extremely rare and taking meds is all about trade offs, but a NW7 is very unlikely to grow much hair. In regards to the argument about “preserving the donor zone”, I think it’d be quite unethical for a doctor to rely on a patient taking meds for “a donor zone” that can be extracted. The safe donor zone is safe for a reason as studied by Oestrich and the true narrow safe strip doesn’t miniaturize for 99% of men.

I’m all for meds if someone is a NW1-3 but once you get past, especially a NW6-7, you’re really trying to grow plants in a barren wasteland and potentially poisoning the entire soil. Just curious about people’s thoughts on this.

Edited by Fox243

• Fox243 changed the title to Why is this forum so pro meds for NW6/7?

Sometimes finasteride can strengthen a weakened donor in high norwood patients, which gives more healthy grafts for a surgeon to use.

Also, there is evidence that hair transplants, in some patients who are particularly sensitive to DHT in their recipient areas, may thin over time. Finasteride is extra insurance policy of helping the DHT resistant, not DHT proof, standing the test of time and growing healthy. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

First I will say I'm a NW 7 and I'm not currently on any meds.

However there are several reasons a NW 7 may want to be on various meds. Todays FUE extraction area extends outside what used to be considered the safe zone, especially on higher NWs who need as many grafts as they can get, so preserving what you have left after having a HT can stop the area from expanding past some of the FUE extractions. You mention that 99% of men won't thin in the safe zone, but statistics are funny. Let's suppose it is 99%, meaning only 1 % will thin in the safe zone. That's 1% of all men, but nearly all of that 1% are going to be NW7s. For example someone who never gets past NW 3 probably isn't going to have significant thinning on the sides and back. The ones who are going to have a thinning "safe" zone are the NW 7s, so if you look at just the small percentage of people who reach NW 7, it turns out a lot of them will end up with a thinning "safe" zone.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

You've made a huge investment in both time and money in your hair. So it makes sense to look after your hair and prevent DHT from affecting it. The so called donor are of the scalp is not DHT proof. It's DHT resistant. It will still be affected as you age. Look at the photo of hair of someone in their 20's. Then look at the same person in their 50's, 60's and beyond. It's always thinner even if that person has not gone bald.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Fox243 said:

The safe donor zone is safe for a reason as studied by Oestrich and the true narrow safe strip doesn’t miniaturize for 99% of men.

I’m all for meds if someone is a NW1-3 but once you get past, especially a NW6-7, you’re really trying to grow plants in a barren wasteland and potentially poisoning the entire soil. Just curious about people’s thoughts on this.

how many grafts can you extract from there with fut? or even fue

Think its wise advise to take if your are NW 6/7 in you 20/30s. Balding young runs a much higher risk of continued progression of hair loss inc thinning into the donor. Also NW6 can lose their sides and progress into NW7. If you are a NW7 in your 40/50s I guess there is less of need to take. But by that time us men will probably be on finateride for our enlarged prostates anyway 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree that meds are useful, even for a NW7, but nobody has really talked about the trade offs here. Finasteride and oral minoxidil are not risk free drugs, far from it in fact. There’s simply not enough research into long term effects from using these daily. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

I agree that meds are useful, even for a NW7, but nobody has really talked about the trade offs here. Finasteride and oral minoxidil are not risk free drugs, far from it in fact. There’s simply not enough research into long term effects from using these daily. 

No drug is risk free. If you looked at the side effects of Paracetamol/Tylenol you would be spooked. Finasteride has been used for decades, as a treatment for enlarged prostates and hair loss, so there should be long term studies available. If it was unsafe, i'm sure we would have seen some horror stories 40 years on. Taking medication though should always be based on an informed decision. I feel a tad emotive towards this, as I was scared to take the medication based on scaremongering stories, as a consequence  I went slick bald, when the reality was I could tolerate the medication just fine.  

Edited by Bandit90
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bandit90 said:

No drug is risk free. If you looked at the side effects of Paracetamol/Tylenol you would be spooked. Finasteride has been used for decades, as a treatment for enlarged prostates and hair loss, so there should be long term studies available. If it was unsafe, i'm sure we would have seen some horror stories 40 years on. Taking medication though should always be based on an informed decision. I fell a tad emotive towards this, as I was scared to take the medication based on scaremongering stories, as a consequence  I went slick bald, when the reality I tolerate the medication just fine.  

Yes, but a couple of things.

1) Tylenol doesn’t affect the hormonal system

2) Tylenol is not a lifelong medication, unlike fin or oral med, which is building up and affecting your body daily

And I think I agree with your point that medication should be an informed decision. What I'm trying to say is I think the forum is way too pro med, especially when the risk reward doesn't justify it.

Edited by Fox243

A sugar processed diet is very very bad for your health long term but majority ea plenty of sugar.

I had sides with oral fin after 2 years had to stop. Oral min no sides. It really is an individual choice & if your willing to take the risk.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

Yes, but a couple of things.

1) Tylenol doesn’t affect the hormonal system

2) Tylenol is not a lifelong medication, unlike fin or oral med, which is building up and affecting your body daily

Tylenol is a life long medication for people with chronic Pain. Anyways back your original point, why is the forum so pro meds..,, because this is a hair loss forum and it's  the best weapon we have against hair loss. 

Edited by Bandit90
  • Like 1
  • Well Done 1

• Valued Contributor
53 minutes ago, Fox243 said:

No one complained about finasteride (in much higher daily doses) about taking the drug for benign prostate hyperplasia before finasteride was used for hair loss that I’m aware of? No post finasteride syndrome group was created in all the years pre low dose finasteride to treat MPB that I’m aware of either. Though I do believe that some people do experience this. No one is forcing you to take Finasteride, Minoxidil, etc. Going bald is not a disease. This forum just provides information for those that are not aware of it. At all times you should be consulting with your doctor/dermatologist about anything you choice to take. 

• Like 2

This forum is "pro" finasteride because of the nature of the forum. We are dissatisfied with being bald and took drastic action of very expensive surgeries with a large time commitment to try to restore our hair. Popping a pill with a relatively good track record of safety is additional insurance that this investment pays off.

Many surgeons don't even recommend oral finasteride, you can always try topical if oral is not for you. 

I also wish I didn't have to take this drug. I just value my hair more than the potential side effects, which I have not had for over 8 years of taking it. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

The forum is pro what works. Finasteride and minoxidil are one of the few treatments that work. They’re not risk-free, like surgery. But combined, all three can provide you with the best results possible. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.