For guys on TRT, what works to keep your hair?

Hi All,

Curious to ask, for anyone on TRT (or were on it) what is your stack/protocol for keeping your hair?  Curious to see what combination everyone is using and at what strength. For reference, I'm asking this question more towards men who are on TRT because they have low T to begin with. 

For the record, I just started using 0.025% topical fin and an oral vitamin supplement that has various DHT blocking ingredients.  In the past, taking even just .25 of fin orally would give me sides, so hoping this stack doesn't give me sides but works. I was trying topical min too but it gave me terrible dark circles/eye bags.  If anyone has tips on how to alleviate that, much appreciated! 

• Valued Contributor

TRT will elevate your DHT levels unfortunately. If you can't tolerate finasteride (like I can't) I would really think about this. If it means your health over your hair I would focus on your health every day of the week. This is just my opinion. All the best.

16 hours ago, Gatsby said:

TRT will elevate your DHT levels unfortunately. If you can't tolerate finasteride (like I can't) I would really think about this. If it means your health over your hair I would focus on your health every day of the week. This is just my opinion. All the best.

hey Gatsby, are you still side effect free with the topical fin solution u were using?

On 2/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, OfficerWinslow said:

I was trying topical min too but it gave me terrible dark circles/eye bags.  If anyone has tips on how to alleviate that, much appreciated! 

I've been on topical Min and it definitely made my dark circles/eye bags worse. How long were you on it before you noticed yours? I always had some light dark circles under my eyes but topical made them far worse I think. I'm considering stopping and just trying rosemary oil or something and hoping the dark circles go away over time. But searching online it seems like for a lot of people they continieu even after stopping min, so kind of between a rock and a hard place. 

If I were to go back in time, I probably would never even use Min and just rely on natural stuff and plan for needing numerous HT's. 

@GoliGoliGoli

I've actually only been on it for a short time, a few weeks! Oral minoxidil could result in less dark circles than the topical possibly from some posts I've been researching.  There is also a hypothesis that consuming collagen supplements may help offset the cosmetic issues caused by min; but no solid proof yet. 

I did use rosemary oil for a while. Not sure if I can say it's a worthy replacement, but I think it's a good adjunct to add to the stack. 

For what it's worth, I have read some folks use a caffeine rollerball for their dark circles and it helps alleviate them somewhat. I'm going to try a cold eye mask in the morning with this for the next week or so to see how it goes.

• Administrators

TRT will require a powerful 5-alpha reductase inhibitor. Oral finasteride would be the go-to, if you still lose ground on fin, you’ll have to switch to oral dutasteride.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, OfficerWinslow said:

@Melvin- Admin Hey Melvin, did you ever end up trying CosmeRNA?  

I didn’t, they were supposed to send it but never did. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin- Admin Bummer! It's such a divisive yet still unknown product.  The reddit thread is a mess, but there are some who claim they are still using it and it has worked (at least to stop further loss).  The mechanism of it is what intrigues me since it works differently than 5-alpha reductase inhibitors; which could be a big thing for guys who are sensitive to fin/dut. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, OfficerWinslow said:

The mechanism of it is what intrigues me since it works differently than 5-alpha reductase inhibitors; which could be a big thing for guys who are sensitive to fin/dut. 

I don't know anything about it, but just from reading what you wrote I'm wondering.... if it works differently than finasteride then would you get better results by using both.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.