How common is hyper responding to fin/dut?

How on some sort of percentage, does people hyper respond to fin/dut? 

on the forums of tressless and there’s quite a heavy pool of people hyper responding to the medication.

but how many people out there are on the drug who are not seeing much gains or just treading water with the medication to prevent further loss.

damn these guys who are hyper responders! 

I have seen a few instances on Reddit where, if they catch their MPB early enough (say they arent worse than NW2 and have only been suffering from MPB for 1 year or so) AND they are super young (early 20s), i have seen cases where hair regrowth has occured.

But even so, these people are the minority. 

At best, you should only expect to halt future hairloss with meds.

Getting hair regrowth from dht meds should always be viewed as a miracle/minority case. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have seen a few instances on Reddit where, if they catch their MPB early enough (say they arent worse than NW2 and have only been suffering from MPB for 1 year or so) AND they are super young (early 20s), i have seen cases where hair regrowth has occured.

But even so, these people are the minority. 

At best, you should only expect to halt future hairloss with meds.

Getting hair regrowth from dht meds should always be viewed as a miracle/minority case. 

Most of us men with MPB will experience a significant decrease in the progression of our hair loss which for myself was a huge victory…what I have observed has been the young men who get started early with meds have the best potential to realize any regrowth gains without surgery.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

Id say 5% are hyper responders. Most only maintain with meds. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/23/2023 at 6:56 PM, Woody1000 said:

How on some sort of percentage, does people hyper respond to fin/dut? 

on the forums of tressless and there’s quite a heavy pool of people hyper responding to the medication.

but how many people out there are on the drug who are not seeing much gains or just treading water with the medication to prevent further loss.

damn these guys who are hyper responders! 

Hi,

Look at this study which focuses on two age groups 18-41 years and 41-60 years (the paper is not freely accessible but you can have it on libgen): Global photographic assessment of men aged 18 to 60 years with male pattern hair loss receiving finasteride 1 mg or placebo

You will see that in the 18-41 year old age group finasteride allows regrowth in some in all areas while in 41-60 year olds regrowth only exists on the anterior area/mild scalp but in very small amounts proportion. Basically after 41 years no chance of having regrowth.

Among young people, for 18-40 year olds, a study on Japanese people shows 62% maintenance, 34% almost invisible regrowth (they exist but visually the effect is zero) and about 10% with moderatly visible regrowth (average between investigator and photographic assessment) and 1,5% of greatly increase of visible regrow (on average) on the top of the skull: Finasteride in the treatment of Japanese men with male pattern hair loss

So if hyper responders are considered as greatly regrow, I would say percentage is about 1,5%.

By the way, finasteride is as effective in 18-41 age groups as in 41-60 age group to maintain hair.

We can clearly see that finasteride is very effective in maintaining hair... but only around 10% of 18-40 yo users will have moderatly visible regrow and around 1,5% greatly regow...

After 40 years, finasteride only serves to maintain the hair and there will be no regrowth anywhere (just a little perhaps on the mild scalp). Whereas before the age of 40 there is a little less than 5% chance of having visible regrowth on the different areas (4% among Japanese on the top of the skull - but among Caucasians it seems that it is a little more) :

Sanstitre1.jpg.26e1df2927181090396794a9faa4a7e6.jpg

Sanstitre1(1).thumb.png.86a5a9def89118f48a45a2078525fa43.png

In conclusion, you should not believe everything that is written on Reddit !😆

Edited by arthurSam
  • Like 1

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

• Moderators

I took finasteride for 11 years. I gained a little bit in the first maybe 3 years, then pretty much stayed the same for a few years, then went downhill and lost everything that was gained plus lost even more and was worse off after 11 years than when I started. That was when I gave up on it and stopped using it. My age at the time was 31 when I started and 42 when I stopped.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@Woody1000,

The truth is, the vast majority of men who take finasteride and even minoxidil in conjunction with it are maintaining their existing hair rather than actually regrowing any.  Now, a smaller percentage of men may be experiencing what appears to be a good bit of regrowth and while I certainly don’t want to discount the miracle that this is… it’s because 1) they are a good responder to the medication and 2) the many miniaturizing hairs still on their head begin to thicken, darken and become terminal (aka normal healthy hair).   This reversal process is cosmetically significant for these individuals in which is a miracle. But do understand that these medication‘s did not regrow hair from a completely bald area but instead, simply reversed the effects of male pattern baldness that were still in place.

The bottom line is, men have a much better chance of experiencing what seems like significant regrowth from medication if they catch their hair loss early enough.

I hope this helps 

Patient Advocate for Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I took finasteride for 11 years. I gained a little bit in the first maybe 3 years, then pretty much stayed the same for a few years, then went downhill and lost everything that was gained plus lost even more and was worse off after 11 years than when I started. That was when I gave up on it and stopped using it. My age at the time was 31 when I started and 42 when I stopped.

So you lost everything while you were still on Fin? Why didn’t you switch to DUT

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

So you lost everything while you were still on Fin? Why didn’t you switch to DUT

1. I was already a NW 7, so I wasn't going to grow much anyway.

2. This was between 1998 and 2009, so I don't remember if dutasteride was easily available (or at all) then.

3. Finasteride was thinning out my body hair and I knew I was going to need to use body hair (which was just beginning to be tried in a few cases), so there was no point in switching to dutasteride because I needed my body hair to increase again which meant staying off the meds.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 12/25/2023 at 2:33 AM, Gatsby said:

To get an idea of a hyper responder have a look at @Viney’s results to medication. 👌

Very exceptional!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY