Temporal Points

Hello all. I've been devouring this site for the past several months in preparation for my first transplant. I still have a lot of questions, so I can forsee myself starting a lot of threads. I apologize in advance. 

One of the clinics I've consulted with is H&W. From what I gather they seem to advocate pretty strongly for doing temporal points. This is not something I ever envisioned and would be inclined to not do in favor of saving grafts.

However, do people feel these are essential for aesthetics? Or are they more a matter of personal preference? If I go with H&W I want to know how hard to push back against these, or if I should accept their recommendation. Thank you so much!

• Valued Contributor

Temporal points really depend on the height of the hairline. A high hairline and you might be able to get away without them. But an appropriate hairline and temporal points frame the face and executed properly give a younger look in your appearance. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LaNada said:

Hello all. I've been devouring this site for the past several months in preparation for my first transplant. I still have a lot of questions, so I can forsee myself starting a lot of threads. I apologize in advance. 

One of the clinics I've consulted with is H&W. From what I gather they seem to advocate pretty strongly for doing temporal points. This is not something I ever envisioned and would be inclined to not do in favor of saving grafts.

However, do people feel these are essential for aesthetics? Or are they more a matter of personal preference? If I go with H&W I want to know how hard to push back against these, or if I should accept their recommendation. Thank you so much!

the are 4 step of recession of TP.
In grade 3 and 4, it is mandatory to rebuild TP or you will get a toupee effect.
That said, if I well understand his thought, I partially agree with gastby.
Rebuilding lateral hairline is crucial to lower the frontal hairline.
But you can rebuild the lateral HL and not rubuild the temporal peaks.
Couto (maybe the best surgeon along with Keser in Europe to rebuild temporal peaks)  has a lot of cases like this.

If your concerne is grafts sparring, don't worry, temporal points don't require many graft.
The first cm is about 15 FU/CM
The second is about 25%.
So, 100-150 grafts per side can work the trick.

My concerne is the end result.
If a person doesn't have a Great Recession of TP, I suggest not to do.
I love natural temporal points.
Saw very few cases of nice temporal points from an HT.

• Like 1

Hard to say without seeing photos, age, loss, meds, donor condition. Not only can they take a good 700 grafts, you want to avoid strong prominent temples that are on your face not scalp, if you then have loss behind in the scalp that is significant as this can be a challenge in looking natural also. They are hard to do, have acute angles and need very fine singles and no way to camouflage them if not done well as they are the first line. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Can you share some photos? In my experience, many guys want them without needing them.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@LaNada,

In my opinion, temporal points are a personal preference. But at the end of the day, the most important issue is naturalness.  Allow me to explain.

Creating a natural looking hairline includes framing the face. This may or may not include the creation of temple points.

For those who are candidates and have previously possessed and lost their natural temple points, re-creating them makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, even if someone is a candidate, temple points may not look natural on them or even if they do, creating temple points on someone who never naturally possessed them may draw more attention to the fact that they’ve had work done. Now that’s not necessarily a bad thing if the individual is OK with that. Besides, the attention will very likely be positive if everything was done right.

Before surgery begins, Dr. Rahal will sit down with the patient and together, they will decide on the hairline. This may or may not include temple points based on discussion of the above factors.

Now, in regards to your case specifically, since I’m not seeing any photos of the top of the head (to see the degree of hair loss you are experiencing) or the donor (to get an idea of how much donor you have available), I can’t really provide any real opinion regarding lowering your hairline substantially or creating tempo points would be appropriate.  Keep in mind also that using grafts to create tempo points will take some grafts away from other areas of the scalp.  

with all the above to say, what did your natural hair line look like prior to any hair loss? Did you possess temple points naturally? If so, did you like them and would you like to re-create them if possible?  If not, how do you think you would look with temple points?

The above points are certainly ones to think about and ones to discuss with the surgeons you are considering.

I hope this helps.

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, LaNada said:

Maybe these will work. 

20231221_213418.jpg

20231221_214220.jpg

20231221_214339.jpg

I think you would require a temple point restoration. Otherwise your forehead will look too wide. 

IMG_1410.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.