Scabs Feel Hard & Are Difficult to Dislodge

Hey everyone,

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to the day. Scabs are hard and a bit hard to dislodge. I tried calling the clinic several times since last week but no one answers the phone. Very strange.

I tried shampooing the scabs away gently but theyre still hard. When I try to dislodge the scabs with my finger very gently they feel too stubborn to be removed.

Btw, my whole scalp is still numb. And theres a small point (like 2mm squared) in the left temple area that has discomfort every 6 minutes. As mentioned, its a very small point which is not serious but its discomforting.

What do you guys recommend?

Edited by wprevil

• wprevil changed the title to Scabs Feel Hard & Are Difficult to Dislodge
1 hour ago, wprevil said:

Hey everyone,

I had surgery 2 weeks ago to the day. Scabs are hard and a bit hard to dislodge. I tried calling the clinic several times since last week but no one answers the phone. Very strange.

I tried shampooing the scabs away gently but theyre still hard. When I try to dislodge the scabs with my finger very gently they feel too stubborn to be removed.

Btw, my whole scalp is still numb. And theres a small point (like 2mm squared) in the left temple area that has discomfort every 6 minutes. As mentioned, its a very small point which is not serious but its discomforting.

What do you guys recommend?

use a shampoo, foam it up wait for around 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile spray saline water so that scabs become softer. With gauge pressure gently and by doing it scabs should be removed

49 minutes ago, Shadman said:

use a shampoo, foam it up wait for around 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile spray saline water so that scabs become softer. With gauge pressure gently and by doing it scabs should be removed

So use any shampoo? I was thinking of using johnson & johnson baby shampoo.

And does the fabric of the gauze help "rake" the scabs off?

59 minutes ago, wprevil said:

So use any shampoo? I was thinking of using johnson & johnson baby shampoo.

And does the fabric of the gauze help "rake" the scabs off?

Yes, any mild shampoo would be okay like dove. And in my case, using gauze helped to removed the scabs 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

So the guy in the video used conditioner. But others suggested using shampoo. Dont you think conditioner may be too rough for the a recent transplant and that shampoo may be safer and likely more effective?

And today marks 2 weeks since my transplant. I have lots of scabs. Do you think I'm ready for the method in the video or should I wait?

How many days do you think it will take for all the scabs to be removed?

Edited by wprevil

• Administrators
1 minute ago, wprevil said:

So the guy in the video used conditioner. But others have suggested using shampoo. Dont you think conditioner may be too rough for the a recent transplant and that shampoo may be safer and likely more effective?

And today marks 2 weeks since my transplant. I have lots of scabs. Do you think I'm ready for the method in the video or should I wait?

Conditioner is better and more gentle, but follow your surgeons directions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

@Melvin- Admin how many days post op were you at this stage? I’ve just completed day 7 since my FUT procedure and scabs in parts of the incision and in the crown where the majority of the work was done. These are proving to be a bit difficult to remove,  I’ve not been given any conditioner as such by my doc - just a bottle of shampoo. Today i soaked the head under a light pressured shower head with some shampoo and did rub - probably not hard enough as only a few scabs came off. I’ll try your method tomorrow (with advice from the Doc of course and see how this goes). Thanks for your video mate. 

28 minutes ago, Melvin- Admin said:

but follow your surgeons directions.

The problem is that I've tried calling the clinic for several days now with 0 response. Emailing yields no response either. I dont understand.. its like a big mystery.

I would be spraying my scalp continuously with water  every 15-30 min  to help loosen the scabs up. My Dr instructions were washing scalp 2-3 per day using  5 min pouring water over scalp continuously using a small bucket, foam up scabs with a mild hair soap and very gently massaging with the tips of your fingertips (the ridges in your skin acts slightly similar to an ultrafine sandpaper) for 5 min, then rinse for 5 min with small bucket again. Then spray like a mofo for days until those scabs start to get smaller and fall out. Keep spraying your scalp to keep the scabs from getting hard. 2 weeks for large amount of scabs sounds too long. I wouldn't take the cance fo trying to dig these out.

10 minutes ago, Cospine said:

I would be spraying my scalp continuously with water  every 15-30 min  to help loosen the scabs up. My Dr instructions were washing scalp 2-3 per day using  5 min pouring water over scalp continuously using a small bucket, foam up scabs with a mild hair soap and very gently massaging with the tips of your fingertips (the ridges in your skin acts slightly similar to an ultrafine sandpaper) for 5 min, then rinse for 5 min with small bucket again. Then spray like a mofo for days until those scabs start to get smaller and fall out. Keep spraying your scalp to keep the scabs from getting hard. 2 weeks for large amount of scabs sounds too long.

Those are basically the same instructions my doc (Couto) handed me. But the original pamphlet I got called for washing the scalp 2 - 3 times a day as you said. But later they handed me a revised pamphlet instructing to wash once a day.

Calling and emailing the clinic gets 0 response as if they ceased to exist.

Edited by wprevil

Pure negligence that the Dr abandoned you post op. 

I would was more than 1x per day but making sure the you are soaking the scabs....they will turn a slightly different color being more white along the outside, then massage with a foam soap and I would go longer than 5 min, then rinse.....you should see flakes of scabs in the rinse. 

You may need to massage with the foam a little harder? 

I used this for my spray but you can use water. Spray every 15 min, keep a towel around your neck. Spray every hour once you go to bed if you have to. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007M1ZQM2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

If you're not seeing progress in a few days, maybe go to a local hair transplant DR and explain the problems. They will most likely help you even if there is a small fee.

44 minutes ago, Cospine said:

Pure negligence that the Dr abandoned you post op. 

Well let's not be too hasty in our judgement. Anything could've happened like en emergency. Nonetheless I do empathize your concern.

I was more than 1x per day but making sure the you are soaking the scabs....they will turn a slightly different color being more white along the outside, then massage with a foam soap and I would go longer than 5 min, then rinse.....you should see flakes of scabs in the rinse. 

You may need to massage with the foam a little harder? 

Appreciate this. I think soaking it in very soapy, foamy J&J baby shampoo will do, leaving it on the scalp for 20 - 30 minutes then rinse. Let's see what happens.

Yes, its mentally tough applying a "right" amount of pressure to massage the scalp without overdoing it and ruining an expensive ht. But I'll be a bit more rough without going overboard. But using circular motions by my fingertips initially then applying a bit rougher movements thereafter will be the game plan.

I used this for my spray but you can use water. Spray every 15 min, keep a towel around your neck. Spray every hour once you go to bed if you have to. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007M1ZQM2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Appreciate the product suggestion but delivery of this product will take time which I can't afford given the gravity of my scalp.

If you're not seeing progress in a few days, maybe go to a local hair transplant DR and explain the problems. They will most likely help you even if there is a small fee.

Absolutely! Or maybe seeing a local derm will do? What do you think?

5 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

Did you spray saline water every 30 min for the first 3-4 days post op?

And did you start doing a daily wash starting day 4?

My scabs were almost all gone by themselves at day 8

The doc gave me this thermal water spray to use every 30 minutes.

Yes, started the daily wash using a derm gel water spray.

55 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

And the scabs were not getting softer ?

So I just got out from taking a bath. I foamed up on the J&J baby shampoo and lathered it on my scalp. My doc's suggestion was to gently do circular stokes on my fingertips which was not pleasant cuz my scalp is still sensitive and it felt like I was exacerbating it. But I was gentle and a bit rough, only a bit.

With a small bucket I poured cold water upon my head, fyi.

A few clusters of black scabs floated on the surface of the water in the tub that looked like baby roaches which is a good sign. Perhaps tomorrow's wash will continue that progress.

Nonetheless I scheduled with a derm tomorrow morning to get his feedback. I'll also be calling my ht doc tomorrow and hope someone at the clinic finally answers.

i guess we all heal differently 

I must agree.

Edited by wprevil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wprevil said:

Concerning the scabs, why cant I just let them fall off by themselves? Wouldnt that be the natural approach instead of "forcing" them off the scalp which can give way to healing issues?

Considering you're in day 14 and the grafts are fully secure, you should be able to use the shower with light pressure.  I would really soak the scalp as you want those scabs soft. I would massage them scabs for 10 min.

Per you're question above, I don't believe this is the healthy for the grafts and could jeopardize their survival. Maybe one of our board doctors can lend their opinion. 

Include a pic so we can see the scalp and the scabs

6 minutes ago, Cospine said:

Considering you're in day 14 and the grafts are fully secure, you should be able to use the shower with light pressure.  I would really soak the scalp as you want those scabs soft. I would massage them scabs for 10 min.

Per you're question above, I don't believe this is the healthy for the grafts and could jeopardize their survival. Maybe one of our board doctors can lend their opinion. 

Include a pic so we can see the scalp and the scabs

Greatly appreciate your much needed input. Fyi, I saw a derm today who said he sees few scabs. But I still feel hard scabs especially in the top. It feels like sandpaper.

Anyway, here's my pic. Let me know what you think:

20231212_120337.jpg

You're in much better shape than I envisioned. No need to panic as nearly all are gone. Just keep up the process listed above....I would use the shower to soak the remaining scabs and massage a little longer than before.