Do I need hair transplant now or start with medication?

I am Norwood 3 with crown baldness as you can see in pictures. 34 Male from Australia. Do I need a hair transplant or can the medicines do some magic?

I consulted a few doctors and eugenix mentioned to go thru medication first and then HT. Other doctors like alloroots, medispa, saraswat suggesting me to get 3000-4000 grafts done.

I go to India once in 1-2 years timeframe 

any suggestion from the experienced fellows

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_2260 Copy.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

Edited by Nick89
Add info

Just now, mr_peanutbutter said:

you need medication to stop further hairloss. however it wont give your already lost hair so in order to fix that you will need a ht

Thanks so you suggest to go with medication first and then HT

however I am travelling to India this weekend and scheduled appointment with eugenix on Monday

• Valued Contributor

Medication is always the first choice of treatment. Give yourself up to a year on Finasteride to stabilize your hair loss and potentially even grow back some of the crown. Spend that time researching here on doctors and for God’s sake don’t get a hair transplant here in Australia. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Medication is always the first choice of treatment. Give yourself up to a year on Finasteride to stabilize your hair loss and potentially even grow back some of the crown. Spend that time researching here on doctors and for God’s sake don’t get a hair transplant here in Australia. 

Thanks and yes not gonna do the HT in Australia even though I work in healthcare sector in Aus 😅

6 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

How about if I stop the medication? Does that means that once I stop taking medicine I will be back to the same situation? 

2 hours ago, Nick89 said:

How about if I stop the medication? Does that means that once I stop taking medicine I will be back to the same situation? 

You will be where suppose to be.  let's say you use it for three years and during that period you would have lost all your hair and become bald if you hadn't used finasteide. Then when you stop taking the medication after the third year  you will shed until you lose all your hair and become bald 

4 hours ago, Nick89 said:

I am Norwood 3 with crown baldness as you can see in pictures. 34 Male from Australia. Do I need a hair transplant or can the medicines do some magic?

I consulted a few doctors and eugenix mentioned to go thru medication first and then HT. Other doctors like alloroots, medispa, saraswat suggesting me to get 3000-4000 grafts done.

I go to India once in 1-2 years timeframe 

any suggestion from the experienced fellows

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2270.jpeg

IMG_2260 Copy.jpeg

IMG_2267.jpeg

I think with medications definitely your situation would be improved. Always a better idea to give medications some time to see how it works. However, if you’re unsure about your next trip In India, you can go for the ht and after that take medicines on a regular basis. 

You are a diffuse thinner and still have some hair on the top of your head. Untergoing a ht without medication may cause some shockloss or you may loose your native hair on the recipient area after the hairtransplant. If you are fine with that at the age of 34 hairtransplant is definitely an option for you. IN your case though i would start with finiasteride, even topical if you dont want to take oral finasteride, and plan a hairtransplant after 12 months. Why are you limiting yourself only in India though?

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 12:14 AM, jjalay said:

You are a diffuse thinner and still have some hair on the top of your head. Untergoing a ht without medication may cause some shockloss or you may loose your native hair on the recipient area after the hairtransplant. If you are fine with that at the age of 34 hairtransplant is definitely an option for you. IN your case though i would start with finiasteride, even topical if you dont want to take oral finasteride, and plan a hairtransplant after 12 months. Why are you limiting yourself only in India though?

Because I have house in delhi too and can easily travel to India and stay for a couple of weeks

3 minutes ago, Nick89 said:

Because I have house in delhi too and can easily travel to India and stay for a couple of weeks

You can also check dr Laorwong in Thailand to see what he has to say in your case. In my opinion he is better that most of the doctors in India.

You have an advanced diffused thinning pattern and a HT can induce shock loss…getting on finasteride for a full year can potentially reduce the higher levels of shock although there are no guarantees, it’s much better than not getting on the meds first.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY