Tips when flying, after transplant surgery

Hi all. I’m booked in with Bruno Pinto on January 15th. I’m from the UK and will, obviously, be flying for my surgery. 45 quid! Bargain! Anyway, I’m a bit clumsy and worried I might do something to hurt the grafts! Does anyone have any tips? Maybe pay for a better standard of travel? Gonna feel a right tit at the airport! Can’t imagine there will be many transplant folk about! 

anyway, if anyone has any tips, I’d really appreciate it. 

• Valued Contributor

Follow the surgeon's advice. Spray your grafts as required. If that means every two hours then do it every two hours. Hair transplants are pretty common these days. The main thing is not to bump your head. The biggest risk when traveling is bumping your head getting in and out of a car/taxi. All the best for your up coming procedure @Otis james.

• Valued Contributor
25 minutes ago, Otis james said:

I meant, is hat wearing advised after the surgery? 

If you’re really worried about looking a bit daft post op, you could consider staying in Spain for a week or so until the scabs are off and you have a cleaner look. 

But it’s a two hour flight so you’ll get by looking a bit funny with the surgical cap. As others have said: window seat, board early and be careful in and out of cars. You’ll be fine!

Pinto is located in Porto in Portugal… Either way James I was with him a few months ago - ask the hotel for a late check out on the day, they are very accomodating to minimise the time in the airport. The drive from the hotel is about 15 minutes on average. I didnt wear anything, and in general I did not notice too many people starring - but probably also because I did not care about what others thought about it. Otherweise window seat, I took Business  class back home to avoid anyone close.. 

31 minutes ago, donpizmeov said:

Pinto is located in Porto in Portugal… Either way James I was with him a few months ago - ask the hotel for a late check out on the day, they are very accomodating to minimise the time in the airport. The drive from the hotel is about 15 minutes on average. I didnt wear anything, and in general I did not notice too many people starring - but probably also because I did not care about what others thought about it. Otherweise window seat, I took Business  class back home to avoid anyone close.. 

yeah I contemplated business class! Did you just upgrade on the day? 

I paid for it in advance to make sure there was availability. But in all honesty it is not a must. I just had it as a perk as I work as a pilot. If you are just taking it easy and being observant when around others then no sweat. Some people make more out of it than it should be, it was all very easy. 

Edited by donpizmeov

7 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

I also went to pinto & was really worried about walking through the airport after surgery but honestly, nobody gives a hoot lol… window seat is a good shout and get on nice and early, I didn’t wear a cap 

I’ve just booed my window seat, for the return flight! Did you fly the day after surgery, mate? 

2 hours ago, Otis james said:

I meant, is hat wearing advised after the surgery? 

Yeah get these big bucket style hats off the clinic but honestly they look even more stupid, in Istanbul airport nobody batted an eyelid… in fact it was more a case of spot who hadn’t had work done. Obviously Portugal will be different but I wouldn’t worry, should be proud your improving your looks😀 good luck

If i want to wear a hat what would be advised?

Im seeing Dr Pinto next april but flying from Aus, so a lot of hours and a couple stop overs. I’d definitely feel more comfortable wearing something. 

Emilio has also suggested i fly out the day after surgery, curious if the consensus suggests i wait a couple days later?

• Valued Contributor
22 minutes ago, mac187 said:

Emilio has also suggested i fly out the day after surgery, curious if the consensus suggests i wait a couple days later?

Honestly won't make any difference either way; I flew 24 hours after surgery to the UK from India on the first pass, and 4-5 days post op on the second. Both were totally fine - it's nice to recoup for a few days before a flight, but it's also nice to get home and hide away asap.

35 minutes ago, mac187 said:

If i want to wear a hat what would be advised?

Im seeing Dr Pinto next april but flying from Aus, so a lot of hours and a couple stop overs. I’d definitely feel more comfortable wearing something. 

Where would you relax better? In a hotel or home in your own country? I left Pinto the same day as we finished on day 2. No issues. You do have a longer flight, but once in the seat your halfway there.  🥇

Edited by donpizmeov

I also left 48 hrs after surgery, had a connecting flight in Amsterdam then on to the uk… also no issues

I was lucky that the 2nd flight was empty and the flight attendant let me have the emergency exit seats over the wing to myself (result).. worth asking if empty

It takes about a week for them to be secure, after you wash the crusts off at day 8 or 9 depending on doctors instructions.

It is maybe being overly cautious, but I bumped my head in the taxi on the way home and lost a graft or two, fortunately I was close to the clinic and the doctor could help me.

But being in a plane and accidentally bumping your head, would be more problematic. Also you want to make sure the environment is clean as much as possible since you have open wounds on your head post surgery, and we know planes and airports arent so clean. 

Edited by asterix0

52 minutes ago, Otis james said:

At what stage are the grafts “safe”? I’m a builder so assumed, given my surgery is on a Monday, I could return to work the following Monday…. Any advice on that? 

I would suggest 2 weeks for FUE, especially if you:

1) need to wear any head protection 

or

2) work in dusty / dirty environments

or

3) perform strenuous work 

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

10 hours ago, Otis james said:

Hi all. I’m booked in with Bruno Pinto on January 15th. I’m from the UK and will, obviously, be flying for my surgery. 45 quid! Bargain! Anyway, I’m a bit clumsy and worried I might do something to hurt the grafts! Does anyone have any tips? Maybe pay for a better standard of travel? Gonna feel a right tit at the airport! Can’t imagine there will be many transplant folk about! 

anyway, if anyone has any tips, I’d really appreciate it. 

Grafts are completely safe after 48-72 post op.

As I said earlier might be worth checking with the airlines if they are able to acomodate you with assistance. This will help you bypass checkpoints while having someone carrying you via wheelchair if needed. I knew the day post surgery would be a pain in the but especially moving around a big airport so I asked them to provide me and it helped me alot especially in the Amsterdam airport that is massive as hell.

I really thought about it out of the box and minimized every possible risk post surgery and it payed off every single way.