Concern About Scab Removal 14 Days Post-Transplant

Ivery22

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this community and this is my first ever post. I recently had a hair transplant (14 days ago), receiving approx. 3500 grafts across my hairline and mid-scalp. It's been 14 days since the procedure.

I've meticulously adhered to the post-op care instructions, yet I encountered an issue today that led me to seek advice from this knowledgeable forum. 

Up until now, all the scabs had fallen off naturally except for one that was lingering near the left-hand side of my hairline. While gently cleaning that area today, the final scab detached, and unexpectedly, a few hairs were attached to it, along with a small trace of blood.

I understand that hair shedding is to be expected, but the presence of blood has raised concerns about potential graft loss. I should mention that during the surgery, this particular area bled more than others, prompting the clinic to prescribe a special cream for me to apply for a few days post-op. This morning's incident occurred while I was following their recommended gentle washing and massaging technique, similar to what was advised on day 10 post op for removing scabs with finger tips.

Has anyone here experienced something similar, I can't help but think a graft or two have filled out. 

Thank you in advance on any guidance or feedback you may have.

tempImageep1194.jpg

Edited by Ivery22

• Valued Contributor

So it could be two things really;

1. As you suspect, some grafts have been dislodged due to a persistent scab. Not a major issue at all in the grand scheme of things. It's not uncommon for people to bump their head or scratch their scalp at night in the first few days post op and lose a couple of grafts. This won't negatively affect your results.

2. The scab was persistent and the mild bleeding is attributed to some scalp tissue coming off with the scab. The hairs may have just broken off as is common during this phase, but the grafts beneath the scalp are fine.

That's your two options most likely, and neither will be a problem for you long term and I wouldn't worry about it. Given that it's been 14 days, you might be lucky and the grafts are fine.

• Like 1

So @Melvin- Admin Has not been letting me post since I created a new topic yesterday and it’s been over 23 hours. Can you let me know what’s happening? If there is anything i need to do let me know cos I know you won’t let this post to reflect just like you did with my reply on a topic this morning. I’m beginning to think this forum is biased

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Noble001 said:

So @Melvin- Admin Has not been letting me post since I created a new topic yesterday and it’s been over 23 hours. Can you let me know what’s happening? If there is anything i need to do let me know cos I know you won’t let this post to reflect just like you did with my reply on a topic this morning. I’m beginning to think this forum is biased

We have a new spam filter because the forum was updated. 

If your post still isn’t approved please report it and I’ll approve it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

We have a new spam filter because the forum was updated. 

If your post still isn’t approved please report it and I’ll approve it.

Is there a way I can edit an already posted topic or maybe delete it and post another topic?

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Noble001 said:

Is there a way I can edit an already posted topic or maybe delete it and post another topic?

You can edit the topic. You would have to report the post to get it archived. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.