Does this look like 5000 grafts? Conned

DarkJester

Photo is day after unshaven DHI. The clinic said it was 5k grafts but based on other photos I've seen online it appears a lot less.

I think I may have been conned.

Also attached a photo before HT.

Screenshot_20231031_141847_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_165350_Gallery.jpg

Edited by DarkJester

No worries. Thanks for the feedback.

They have given a guarantee certificate but it only kicks in after 12 months. So let's see. If its not as good as I except it to be then I'll take it up with clinic.

Either way, whatever they have transplanted, it would be better than what I had before lol

It's so irritating to hear about cases like this one.  I almost feel the need to apologize to the patient - industry wise.  

Donor limitation often drives this industry, particularly when dealing with an advanced pattern.  So many things to consider.  

There's typically not enough donor to allow for density throughout the whole head.  It's for this reason most ethical doctors will concentrate their grafts towards the front.  It's the area you see when you look at yourself in the mirror.  It's also the area others see when they converse with you.  

Review the Norwood chart and notice the progression.  A number of things occur as patterns develop.  The hairline recedes.  The corners become deeply recessed.  The crown begins to expand.  Eventually there's only a bridge left, (class 5).  You lose the bridge and you're a 6.  The donor then dips and you've arrived at a 7.  The point here is to realize each pattern has a certain look.  Being age and pattern appropriate just adds naturalness in the overall scheme of things.  

Follicular units can come in groupings of 1-5 hairs.  This is commonly harvested in an FUT procedure.  The whole point of FUE is not to have visible scars.  To achieve this, the punch needs to be smaller than a .9mm.  This leaves a micro-scar which is not detectable to the naked eye.  But, if you think about it, because of the size of the punch, the follicular unit is just as small.  Not a lot of substance nor hair.  Could you get a 5 hair graft during an FUE procedure? Doubtful.  

You can typically harvest 2000-2500 in any given procedure. How do you then get to 4K, 5K, 6K grafts in a single procedure?  Are they talking about hairs and not grafts?  Perhaps.  

You could do both an FUT and an FUE procedure at the same time, (2 day procedure) to harvest as much as possible.  You could also split grafts.  You could take a 5-hair graft and convert them into 5) 1-hair grafts.  Yes, you would get the numbers, but you would lose the density. This would yield a diffused and an unnatural look.  People do not lose hair this way.  The only other way to achieve numbers is to over harvest the donor.  

While there doesn't seem to be a lot of native hair left, I would encourage you to consider some sort of regimen to help the overall look.  If there's any native hair left, retention and enhancement of it might just add to the overall density.  I sure hope this happens.  Give the meds a year.  A year later you can decide if the outcome is worth the time, effort and expense.

I do have a question.  Was any of this discussed with you during the initial consultation?  Who did the work, the doctor or the techs?  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

Guarantee certificate guarantees that the clinic is a hair mill. Look, it’s way too early to call it a botch job. You may end up happy. Only time will tell. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

27 minutes ago, FUEnator said:

Why would you even opt for unshaven. You have 200 hairs left, and it just makes the post op care harder 

Since I have 200 hairs left my post opp care has been quite easy lol

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna see how it goes. Either way I was mentally prepared for at least one more surgery 

On 10/31/2023 at 7:49 AM, DarkJester said:

No worries. Thanks for the feedback.

They have given a guarantee certificate but it only kicks in after 12 months. So let's see. If its not as good as I except it to be then I'll take it up with clinic.

Either way, whatever they have transplanted, it would be better than what I had before lol

What is concerning is that 5,000 grafts were removed but only a fraction made it back onto your balding area. If that's the case then you are worse off because there would be less donor available for a repair job.

1 minute ago, AB2000 said:

What is concerning is that 5,000 grafts were removed but only a fraction made it back onto your balding area. If that's the case then you are worse off because there would be less donor available for a repair job.

That's assuming they even took out 5k. Let's see.

Thanks.