FUT Scar Revision Recommendations Needed

rkd4084

I did an FUT scar revision 6 months ago and am not happy with the results. I went to a plastic surgeon in Raleigh and now thinking I may need to go to somebody with a lot of experience. Who do you recommend? Ideally USA but open to international.

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

The drug is FDA approved for other uses, but doctors can legally use it for scar revision.

It's still in trial but seems to be very promising, and if the good progress continues, I don't see why they wouldn't use it in a few months.

6 minutes ago, Nikoni said:

The drug is FDA approved for other uses, but doctors can legally use it for scar revision.

It's still in trial but seems to be very promising, and if the good progress continues, I don't see why they wouldn't use it in a few months.

Thanks!  I am hoping to find a physician who wants to do a clinical trial for this and finds me a suitable candidate.  Either way, what surgeons would your recommend I reach out to?

Even if verteporfin shows success in his trial you’re looking at a long wait before it’ll be offered in standard practice.

A scar revision from a top surgeon will likely make it look better than that. US based ones that offer FUT include Shapiro, Gabel, Konior, Wesley, Cooley, and there’s Hasson and Wong nearby in Vancouver.

12 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Looking at your repair scar I would consider passing on another scar revision and give this scar time to heal. You might be better off with SMP and later FUE into the scar itself. Wishing you all the best.

Hello! Thanks for the kind words, that was my original goal and now I’m getting impatient bc it’s been 6 months and is still very red. How do I expedite healing? Will another scar revision cause me to go back to the beginning?

• Valued Contributor

At six months the scar hasn’t healed. It will continue to change in color and texture. I really wouldn’t recommend another revision as scarring is largely determined by your genes. Scars go on slightly improved over the years and I feel another revision will just be the same. After twelve months look into SMP and then having grafts placed in the scar. I’ve had SMP and around 500 grafts placed in my donor scars. All the best. 

On 10/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, rkd4084 said:

I did an FUT scar revision 6 months ago and am not happy with the results. I went to a plastic surgeon in Raleigh and now thinking I may need to go to somebody with a lot of experience. Who do you recommend? Ideally USA but open to international.

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_4054.jpeg

I would definitely reccomend dr. Wong from hasson and wong for a doctors opinion. In my view he is the most experienced doctor when it comes to fut and scar revisions via fut. You definitely dont ahve nothing to lose having a consultation with him to hear his opinion.

On 10/23/2023 at 6:27 AM, Gatsby said:

Looking at your repair scar I would consider passing on another scar revision and give this scar time to heal. You might be better off with SMP and later FUE into the scar itself. Wishing you all the best.

Hello!  Curious which doctors you recommend I speak to so I understand options available.  It has been 6 months and the healing is very slow, I am looking for a consult with a reputable physician who works with scars often.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, jjalay said:

I would definitely reccomend dr. Wong from hasson and wong for a doctors opinion. In my view he is the most experienced doctor when it comes to fut and scar revisions via fut. You definitely dont ahve nothing to lose having a consultation with him to hear his opinion.

Thank you!  Any others you reccomend?

On 10/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, jjalay said:

Konior from chicago hair institute but he is not cheap, Hattingen hair in Switzerland, dr. Jerry Cooley, Bernstein medical, Ron Shapiro, dr. Panine are some other names. If you decide to go for a scar repair i would reccomend you to start scalp laxity exercises around 6 months after your first surgery and for at least six months after the repair. This minimizes the risk of streching after the repair.

I just made an appointment with Hasson and Wong for 11/1 to do a scar revision.  It is quite pricey but they basically assured me guaranteed results for a scar revision.  I would be meeting with Dr. Hasson for the procedure.

Should I be optimistic?  It feels like this may be another failed attempt but he personally guaranteed much much better improvements.

3 hours ago, rkd4084 said:

I just made an appointment with Hasson and Wong for 11/1 to do a scar revision.  It is quite pricey but they basically assured me guaranteed results for a scar revision.  I would be meeting with Dr. Hasson for the procedure.

Should I be optimistic?  It feels like this may be another failed attempt but he personally guaranteed much much better improvements.

If it happened the first time, why would you think it wouldn't happen the 2nd?  That would be the first concern.

How patients heal is more of a function of wound physiology.  Doctors will do all they can to keep the scar to a minimum.  A deep suture for example, the type of closure he chooses to do, etc.  But he can not keep you from doing things that eventually can lead to a wide scar.  If you go to the gym and start doing squats, for example, that will surely result in a wide scar.  (It's typically recommended you avoid weightlifting that affects the neck for 6 months.  No squats, no shoulder shrugs).  Even the wrong type pillow that pulls on the neck can lead to a wide scar.  Get yourself an orthopedic pillow that conforms to your neck to avoid tension.  Have you visited with them to check your elasticity?  

Assurances and guarantees....hmmm.  Get something in writing.  There are too many variables involved - many which are out of the control of the doctor.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

9 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

If it happened the first time, why would you think it wouldn't happen the 2nd?  That would be the first concern.

How patients heal is more of a function of wound physiology.  Doctors will do all they can to keep the scar to a minimum.  A deep suture for example, the type of closure he chooses to do, etc.  But he can not keep you from doing things that eventually can lead to a wide scar.  If you go to the gym and start doing squats, for example, that will surely result in a wide scar.  (It's typically recommended you avoid weightlifting that affects the neck for 6 months.  No squats, no shoulder shrugs).  Even the wrong type pillow that pulls on the neck can lead to a wide scar.  Get yourself an orthopedic pillow that conforms to your neck to avoid tension.  Have you visited with them to check your elasticity?  

Assurances and guarantees....hmmm.  Get something in writing.  There are too many variables involved - many which are out of the control of the doctor.  

Totally agree, that is why I am hesitant certainly.  It feels to me though Dr. Hasson isn't in the business of making promises just to get your money.  He is one of the top surgeons in the world correct?  I agree with you it is a leap of faith, but at the end of the day, we are trusting a surgeon to provide us a result we are happy with.

34 minutes ago, rkd4084 said:

Totally agree, that is why I am hesitant certainly.  It feels to me though Dr. Hasson isn't in the business of making promises just to get your money.  He is one of the top surgeons in the world correct?  I agree with you it is a leap of faith, but at the end of the day, we are trusting a surgeon to provide us a result we are happy with.

If it was me I would consult with Dr Konior. His scars are almost undetectable. At least see what he says. He is very easy to communicate with. 

42 minutes ago, HairFunk said:

How old are you? Your scar looks very fibrotic... you may be prone to over healing. Not quite a keloid, but not far off. Worth getting a second opinion by a top surgeon certainly.

I am 39, I am prone to over healing so I am hesitant to do only a revision without an FUE/FUT to hedge my bets.  If the scar revision doesn't work, oh well I go back to a head of hair.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

It’s been 4 months since my scar revision with Dr. Hasson and it’s sooo much better. It wasn’t cheap but totally worth it. For anybody interested in a scar revision, go to Dr. Hasson. You won’t be disappointed!

IMG_6022.jpeg

IMG_6021.jpeg

Edited by rkd4084
  • Like 2

Yes I am still undergoing SMP treatment! The scar still needs camouflage work but in the next 6-9 months I expect to be in great shape.