Minoxidil for receding hair line?

ChuckyChamb

7 hours ago, ChuckyChamb said:

Been on oral fin for 3 months and no sides. Want to start topical minoxidil but have been reading it is only effective for the crown of head. Anyone had success with receding hairline?

Did you notice changes in the hairline area with oral ? I was a diffuser thinner back in 2018 with a receded hairline. Tropical increased density in the crown and midscalp area. 

for me topical worked fine i used to use it 2 times daily 5% it showed results in 5-8 months after my 1st HT

I started oral minox 2.5mg daily once 2 months back heavily shedding till now, so now no idea will it work for me or not have to wait for 1-2 months more, also i m confused should i start topical again i stopped it because it was greasy and had application fatigue :) 

33 minutes ago, WoundedWolf said:

for me topical worked fine i used to use it 2 times daily 5% it showed results in 5-8 months after my 1st HT

I started oral minox 2.5mg daily once 2 months back heavily shedding till now, so now no idea will it work for me or not have to wait for 1-2 months more, also i m confused should i start topical again i stopped it because it was greasy and had application fatigue :) 

I’d reevaluate at the 6 months mark.

Although based  on my results since switching to oral 1 year ago, topical probably would give me you better results.

i switched and regret it, Oral hasn’t done much and topical was night and day 

38 minutes ago, LeveledUp said:

Although based  on my results since switching to oral 1 year ago, topical probably would give me you better results.

How much oral dose did you took daily and what was topical dose ??  are you planning to bring in topical again or combination of both ?

• Valued Contributor
10 hours ago, ChuckyChamb said:

Been on oral fin for 3 months and no sides. Want to start topical minoxidil but have been reading it is only effective for the crown of head. Anyone had success with receding hairline?

The early studies stated it worked best in the crown because that was the area of application targeted. I started using topical minoxidil when it was first released here in Australia in 1987. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and I had to go to a hospital pharmacy to have it compounded. Originally it only came prescriped at 2%. Also it cost $150 a month back then. Today I can buy four months supply with no script for less than $50 from my pharmacy off the shelf! How times have changed!

11 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

The early studies stated it worked best in the crown because that was the area of application targeted. I started using topical minoxidil when it was first released here in Australia in 1987. It was prescribed by a dermatologist and I had to go to a hospital pharmacy to have it compounded. Originally it only came prescriped at 2%. Also it cost $150 a month back then. Today I can buy four months supply with no script for less than $50 from my pharmacy off the shelf! How times have changed!

Oral minoxidil is 30 euros in Ireland for 60 tablets at 5mg. Very cheap

• Valued Contributor
3 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Oral minoxidil is 30 euros in Ireland for 60 tablets at 5mg. Very cheap

Yes the brand Loniten is cheap here too. It’s about forty ofd buckes for one hundred ten mg tablets. I take 5mg’s a day so that’s two hundred days worth. 

8 hours ago, WoundedWolf said:

How much oral dose did you took daily and what was topical dose ??  are you planning to bring in topical again or combination of both ?

2.5mg for 7 months then 5mg for last 4-5months.

Topical was 5% 1-2x per day. 

Probably seen more arm hair growth then head growth on oral.

Well I moved to oral mainly for convenience, I personally don’t see the point in using both for my use case.

i think that’ll be overkill, I’d rather just use one and be done…And probably will increase sides.

I’m likely going to wait until the new year to switch, part of me wants to change back now.

But at the same time I don’t want to go through a massive shed right now….But maybe I’ll take the plunge within coming weeks as don’t see my situation changing.

Guess sooner the better and maybe that time next year my hair will be a lot better and I’ll regain what I lost being on oral over the last 12 months 

14 hours ago, LeveledUp said:

I've got the chance to try Oral Minoxidil, which i kind of want to.

but the liquid minoxidil has been doing great for my remaining hairs. Went from Foam 1x day 2 years barely noticed anything, to now 3 months liquid 2x day. It's been doing good on my crown/midscalp,

I want to give it 6 month to a year since I still see small sheds when applied. Some look very thin and others thicker.. thinking is a sign is still doing its magic.  I dont like the greasy wet look when applied but dries withing 1 2 hours for me is that one of the reasons you don't switch back since regret it or  can someone not switch back again from pill to topical?

19 hours ago, Yoni said:

I've got the chance to try Oral Minoxidil, which i kind of want to.

but the liquid minoxidil has been doing great for my remaining hairs. Went from Foam 1x day 2 years barely noticed anything, to now 3 months liquid 2x day. It's been doing good on my crown/midscalp,

I want to give it 6 month to a year since I still see small sheds when applied. Some look very thin and others thicker.. thinking is a sign is still doing its magic.  I dont like the greasy wet look when applied but dries withing 1 2 hours for me is that one of the reasons you don't switch back since regret it or  can someone not switch back again from pill to topical?

I mean you could give it a go your experience may be completely different to mine.

You can switch back from pill to topical if you like.

I just think if topicals working don’t mess things up, I know you said you don’t like the greasy wet look.

Maybe apply at night only?

i think I’m still using oral as I’m holding onto the hope things will suddenly improve, but that’s wishful thinking. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 12:55 PM, Gatsby said:

Wow, you've been using topical minoxidil for quite a while! Have you ever noticed a point where it seemed less effective, or do you think it's still maintaining your hair? I'm curious if you've considered stopping its use at your age, and if so, whether you anticipate a significant hair loss, or if you've already experienced a gradual loss of the hair that relied on minoxidil over time.

• Valued Contributor
4 hours ago, alexmillne said:

Wow, you've been using topical minoxidil for quite a while! Have you ever noticed a point where it seemed less effective, or do you think it's still maintaining your hair? I'm curious if you've considered stopping its use at your age, and if so, whether you anticipate a significant hair loss, or if you've already experienced a gradual loss of the hair that relied on minoxidil over time.

I initially only topical minoxidil for a few years and then resorted to a hair piece due to MPB and scars from previous bad work and repair work for the next 25 years. I went back on topical minoxidil about two years or so ago and then a year ago I commenced 5mg oral minoxidil. This has definitely benefited my hair in terms of thickness for both scalp and beard hair in both the donor and transplanted area. No I wouldn't stop oral minoxidil as I would not want to risk losing any gains that I have made (unless I began to experience side effects to which I haven't had any at all so far).

6 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I initially only topical minoxidil for a few years and then resorted to a hair piece due to MPB and scars from previous bad work and repair work for the next 25 years. I went back on topical minoxidil about two years or so ago and then a year ago I commenced 5mg oral minoxidil. This has definitely benefited my hair in terms of thickness for both scalp and beard hair in both the donor and transplanted area. No I wouldn't stop oral minoxidil as I would not want to risk losing any gains that I have made (unless I began to experience side effects to which I haven't had any at all so far).

My only issue why Im hesitent to go on oral minoxidil is because I already have low bloodpressure (mostly around 90/60) and because on my fathers side all the males died around age 50 from heart related issues (stroke, heart attack etc)

• Like 1