DHI @Dr Serkan Aygin - Thoughts/ awareness/worst case

My Hair loss Journey

So I been suffer hair lost 6 years, tried the minoxidil / finasteride did have some positive results at the start but had a allergic reaction on the scalp to the alcohol so had to stop. Been using it past few years didn't see much improvement  but probably worst. Brought those medication in a hair lost clinic and had photos taken by the consultant when I did my quarterly check up but didn't see much positive result they just mentioned its stable. During those years I had balance diet and taken zinc/iron supplements.

Early this year I said to myself there no improvement and its more noticeable especially when I'm under the sun so told the clinic am no longer going to carry on , they then told me to look at PRP then HT. Went to a PRP clinic and told me no point as my hair follicles are closed so said I need a HT and he quoted me a price, total grafts and went through procedure etc.

Spoke to my friend and he put me in contact with his friend who had a HT at DR Serkan earlier this year and gave me positive review and answered all my questions and still is. I read the google reviews and YT videos all I saw was positive and during that time I been speaking to one of their adviser via Whatsapp and decided to go ahead with a 4300 graft DHI.  After booking everything I discovered this website.

Been reading and still reading more about them. Hair mill, over harvest. 

From my research we have limited grafts once transplanted over we can't grow them back so am cautious after hearing people say its like a Russian Roulette depends on which consultant I get. How bad and easy is it to over harvest/ read some staff we very young like kids, really? 

Whats the worst case scenario we seen 

Also what's the recovery period like for DHI to have the redness gone and do we have to shave the recipient area, got told we dont need to but from seeing other photos looks like it was shaved.

Thanks in advance team

Jay

Serkan's clinic is the best hair mill in Turkey, I have seen many transplants of guys who went to this clinic succeeded very well, you must be aware however that there are possibility that things don't go exactly right if you the inexperienced team will happen, because there, the entire process is entrusted to the technicians, you will see Serkan for 5 minutes, the time needed to draw your hairline.

• Valued Contributor

@Jayhair

Imho you should look for better options,hair transplant surgery is something which is a lifetime thing and once done can't be undone and its very difficult to rectify it as well plus your donor is a finite thing so you should use it economically and efficiently 

There are far better options available even if you are looking for budget options.

I would like to explain you how the surgery should be approached 

—> As a first step, you should address the underlying cause of your hair loss...even if you undergo surgery, if your hair loss continues, then you will be in the same state again soon...surgery won't solve your hair loss problem...

It is therefore important to consult a good doctor who is more familiar with hair loss,preferably hair transplant surgeon and begin medication. This can stabilize, slow down, or reverse your hair loss...this is the key to a successful outcome...to reap the benefits of medication, you need to take it religiously for the full 12 months and then reassess your situation and plan accordingly.

—>In addition to taking medication, you should also educate yourself. You can use this 12 month period to research more about hair transplant surgery, learn more about the whole process, and understand the nuances. Research good doctors around the world and shortlist around 4-5 doctors based on your findings, and then consult all of them to determine who best fits your needs and expectations.

Taking all of the above things into account will pave the way for a successful surgery.

I hope this helps you ...best  of luck.

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 9/18/2023 at 12:29 PM, A_4_Archan said:

Research good doctors around the world and shortlist around 4-5 doctors based on your findings, and then consult all of them to determine who best fits your needs and expectations.

What questions do we ask- The ones I dealt with sent them photos- they came back with amount of grafts, surgery process. One of the issues I found on HT is over harvesting. How easy is it to do it. don't they just do a scan and decide they will extract x amount from the donor area ?

On 9/18/2023 at 7:36 AM, ITA said:

however that there are possibility that things don't go exactly right if you the inexperienced team will happen

What exactly are the things that don't go right and what is the likely hood? Over harvesting, how easy is it to do this? Isn't it all planned and they have a scanner to see how many graft can be extracted in a certain area and the technician just need to extract the planned amount? The with implantation how can it go wrong. Am trying to assess the likely hood and the actual risk is it did go wrong.

10 hours ago, Jayhair said:

Quali sono esattamente le cose che non vanno bene e qual è il problema più probabile? Durante la raccolta, quanto è facile farlo? Non è tutto pianificato e hanno uno scanner per vedere quanti innesti possono essere estratti in una determinata area e il tecnico deve solo estrarre la quantità pianificata? Il con l'impianto come può andare storto. Sto cercando di valutare il probabile problema e il rischio reale è che sia andato storto.

No scanners, no magnifying glasses or microscopes to separate single from multiple grafts, therefore, you may end up with an overharvested donor area and a hairline with double and multiple ones, for example.

• 3 weeks later...

I read through the forums, in Turkey the quotes are all $3000. Seen members mentioned this is a low budget. I can up the budget but I want to avoid all the headaches of it going wrong. 

Like alot of people, I just want 1 surgery. I been quotes by 3 clinic, 1 consultation was in person i need 4000 graft.  So all I want to know is which doctor/clinic I can get a good HT

How easy is it to mess up. Read people had their 1st HT 10/15 years ago and need another one now, surely the technology etc has improved enough to make these issues of over harvest etc go away. What can I consult with doctor to gauge if i should go with them. They always reassure you, no business will say we can't help you or we do a bad job unless they really can't help ( non good donor area ) I'm based in UK and looked at London clinics, some charging £8k plus and only offering 2500-3000 grafts so does that mean my hair loss isn't fixed completely.

Lot of things to consider. Except for how many grafts needed, Norwood scale, health of donor area, if DR calculates how many hair graft to extract exactly on each section of the donor area what else do we/they need to do or aware before the surgeon starts.

UK v Turkey recommended Dr on this forum, except for price. What are the difference, technique, team? 

I dont see many talk or use DHI mainly FUE/FUT - why is that?

• Valued Contributor
On 9/18/2023 at 8:54 AM, Jayhair said:

My Hair loss Journey

So I been suffer hair lost 6 years, tried the minoxidil / finasteride did have some positive results at the start but had a allergic reaction on the scalp to the alcohol so had to stop. Been using it past few years didn't see much improvement  but probably worst. Brought those medication in a hair lost clinic and had photos taken by the consultant when I did my quarterly check up but didn't see much positive result they just mentioned its stable. During those years I had balance diet and taken zinc/iron supplements.

Early this year I said to myself there no improvement and its more noticeable especially when I'm under the sun so told the clinic am no longer going to carry on , they then told me to look at PRP then HT. Went to a PRP clinic and told me no point as my hair follicles are closed so said I need a HT and he quoted me a price, total grafts and went through procedure etc.

Spoke to my friend and he put me in contact with his friend who had a HT at DR Serkan earlier this year and gave me positive review and answered all my questions and still is. I read the google reviews and YT videos all I saw was positive and during that time I been speaking to one of their adviser via Whatsapp and decided to go ahead with a 4300 graft DHI.  After booking everything I discovered this website.

Been reading and still reading more about them. Hair mill, over harvest. 

From my research we have limited grafts once transplanted over we can't grow them back so am cautious after hearing people say its like a Russian Roulette depends on which consultant I get. How bad and easy is it to over harvest/ read some staff we very young like kids, really? 

Whats the worst case scenario we seen 

Also what's the recovery period like for DHI to have the redness gone and do we have to shave the recipient area, got told we dont need to but from seeing other photos looks like it was shaved.

Thanks in advance team

Jay

Jay can you post some pics of your hair loss so we can better answer your questions. Don’t get caught up in the jargon. DHI is FUE. Excellent donor management is found with elite doctors listed by the forum. It’s not synonymous with Turkish hair mills. All the best. 

58 minutes ago, Ajamilo said:

I went to Serkan Aygin clinic and got better growth with him than with Dr. Mwamba that is recommended here. So do your research :)

So you had 2 surgeries? My question was what can I research. Everyone said certain surgeons better.  What do I ask surgeons on my HT. Am not sure what the basic/advance Qs i need to ask except for amount of graft, DR involvement ( too late to find out they dont involvement much when im lying down having the surgery)

• Valued Contributor
2 hours ago, Jayhair said:

So you had 2 surgeries? My question was what can I research. Everyone said certain surgeons better. What do I ask surgeons on my HT . Am not sure what the basic/advance Qs i need to ask except for amount of graft, DR involvement (too late to find out they don't involve much when im lying down having the surgery)

You're running before you can walk. Suppose we give you a list of questions to ask a surgeon... If you haven't developed a fundamental framework of understanding about best-HT practice in advance of speaking to surgeons, how are you going to be able to assess and understand the strength and validity of their answers? They could say anything and you'd not have any of the tools to knowledge to query what you're hearing.

First you need to go and understand what a good, natural HT requires and looks like (so that you can critically assess the work of the clinics you end up looking into). The Hair Restoration Network YouTube channel is a good resource. JT's channel is another good resource. Between those two you'll have all the nitty gritty you need to know in easily digestible video format.

I'll try and give a brief overview to some of your questions here:

On 9/21/2023 at 11:39 PM, Jayhair said:

What exactly are the things that don't go right and what is the likely hood?

1. Over harvested donor area through imprecise and poorly planned extraction and/or too many grafts taken close together

2. Hairline made to look pluggy through; a) multi graft hairs used in hairline instead of singles and soft singles, b) lack of micro & macro irregularities, c) poor graft directions & angles, d) unnatural sloping of the temple corners, e) lack of subtle asymmetry to enhance naturalness

3. Low graft survival rates in the recipient area leading 

4. Pitting, cobblestoning and other blemishing of the scalp through poor work

5. Necrosis of the scalp

How likely are the above? Points 1-3 are very common in Turkey. Point 4 is found is some cases where the work is just bad or haphazard and 5 is rare and at reputable clinics, pretty much unheard of.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:43 PM, Jayhair said:

don't they just do a scan and decide they will extract x amount from the donor area?

Very, very few clinics - pretty much only the top ones - do thorough microscopic analysis of the donor area with detailed graft counts, profiling the hair quality etc. Most clinics - including good ones! - will usually do an eyeball test at most . If you're expecting a high-level assessment of your donor resources from a Turkish hairmill then you'll be very disappointed.

7 hours ago, Jayhair said:

So all I want to know is which doctor/clinic I can get a good HT

Being given a list of top HT doctors won't enhance your understanding of best practice. Your best bet is sustained research over the next several months. The forum recommended list is a good starting point (note that not every member on this forum necessarily recommends every Dr on the list, hence you need to do your own homework rather than rely on the word of anonymous internet strangers!). If you need approx 4000-5000 grafts, a good doctor will cost in the region of £3-5 per graft which means a minimum spend of around £12,000. I assume the reason you're fishing around in the Turkish market is because this would otherwise be beyond your budget. This puts in a vulnerable position; the number of lower cost, reputable clinics is pretty small. Eugenix in India have lower cost package options that are at least as good and frankly probably better than most of what you can buy in Turkey. Then there are maybe 4 or 5 decent options in Turkey charging somewhere between 1.50-2EURO per graft. Personally I'd be reluctant to recommend them over Eugenix for instance given you require a higher number of grafts than I would trust most Turkish clinics with. But that's just me.

UK v Turkey recommended Dr on this forum, except for price. What are the difference, technique, team? 

Consistency of results and general standards of practice and care. You're going to get a much more thorough experience from start to finish with Dr Ball at the Maitland clinic or with Dr Mani and the ability to follow up with them in person than you are with any clinic in Turkey. The very best clinics in Turkey by the way are not actually all that cheap. Certainly a lot more expensive than the bargain basement prices you've been quoted.

I don't see much talk or use DHI mainly FUE / FUT - why is that?

DHI is FUE. 'Sapphire' FUE is... FUE. Ice FUE is... You guessed it. There's two HT methods; taking a strip of scalp from the back and all hairs from the strip (FUT) or extracting the grafts individually direct from the scalp (FUE). Everything else is just gimmicky marketing noise.

I'm based in UK and looked at London clinics, some charging £8k plus and only offering 2500-3000 grafts so does that mean my hair loss isn't fixed completely.

You'll need to speak to those clinics to establish what exactly the plan would be but no, 2,500 grafts will not adequately cover your areas of hair loss. I imagine any clinic offering no more than 3,000 grafts in one session is doing so because they don't like to do large single sessions on patients above that quantity. That said, even if they address all your hair loss in one go, that doesn't mean you won't lose more hair in the crown or lateral humps in the future unless you're on finasteride to prevent further hair loss.

Which clinics in the UK and Turkey have you been in contact with and had feedback, quotes, consultation etc from/with?

• Like 1

First of all @Berba11 thanks for answering and providing feedback to my questions. I've spoken to DR Serkan and Yaman over watsapp and visited PRP Lab in person in London UK and got quote 4000 grafts needed.

All recommending FUE/DHI

My feedback on Dr Serkan advisor over watsapp. All questions answered very professionally and in very indepth detail. Spoke on phone too. No issue on all communication answers to questions, had me in peace.

Dr Yaman, very casual texting and short blunt answers. 

PRP Lab, the owner/surgeon is young and clinic don't look that established when I visited them.

Its hard for me to decide- I read good and bad results on this forum from both of them. All those concerns of over harvest/low graft survival rate/ bad hairline (looking pluggy). Feels like its a Russian roulette and I have only 1 chance to get it right.  

Lots to think about- Maitland clinic and DR Mani both in London, their website shows 2000 graft £10k so I need to pay £20k v £3k in Turkey (Dr Yaman/Serkan) How bad can these 2 Turkish clinics be? As seen in my photos and not in a great state the top of the scalp is clearly gone. My donor area is never completely shaven off, no.3 or 4 clipper length I use so about 4mm length I cut it down to then I let it grow for 1 or 1.5 months before I cut it so unless its an absolute disaster of a job over harvest should be an issue from my understanding.

Low graft survival rate - how low is low? if I have 4000 and only 3000 survival 75% thats a big improvement on my density obviously I want every hair to survival but considering the big price difference £3k v £20k.

My main concern is after the HT my appearance and health of hair/scalp is worst off.

• Valued Contributor
8 minutes ago, Jayhair said:

First of all @Berba11 thanks for answering and providing feedback to my questions. I've spoken to DR Serkan and Yaman over watsapp and visited PRP Lab in person in London UK and got quote 4000 grafts needed.

All recommending FUE/DHI

My feedback on Dr Serkan advisor over watsapp. All questions answered very professionally and in very indepth detail. Spoke on phone too. No issue on all communication answers to questions, had me in peace.

Dr Yaman, very casual texting and short blunt answers. 

PRP Lab, the owner/surgeon is young and clinic don't look that established when I visited them.

Its hard for me to decide- I read good and bad results on this forum from both of them. All those concerns of over harvest/low graft survival rate/ bad hairline (looking pluggy). Feels like its a Russian roulette and I have only 1 chance to get it right.  

Lots to think about- Maitland clinic and DR Mani both in London, their website shows 2000 graft £10k so I need to pay £20k v £3k in Turkey (Dr Yaman/Serkan) How bad can these 2 Turkish clinics be? As seen in my photos and not in a great state the top of the scalp is clearly gone. My donor area is never completely shaven off, no.3 or 4 clipper length I use so about 4mm length I cut it down to then I let it grow for 1 or 1.5 months before I cut it so unless its an absolute disaster of a job over harvest should be an issue from my understanding.

Low graft survival rate - how low is low? if I have 4000 and only 3000 survival 75% thats a big improvement on my density obviously I want every hair to survival but considering the big price difference £3k v £20k.

My main concern is after the HT my appearance and health of hair/scalp is worst off.

You should be expecting a 90%+ survival rate at a good clinic. 

I would strongly urge you not to go to Serkan. His most high profile client is a fairly large YouTuber and his result is pretty poor on close inspection. If they can’t even nail it on a patient they rolled the red carpet out for in order to showcase their work in the best possible light then imagine some of the results ordinary folk are getting…

Although he’s on the forum list, I’m not personally a fan of Yaman. I’m speaking only for myself. You could do a lot worse, of course. PRP Lab… Just no. 

Other superior, more affordable options ecist in India and even Turkey than the two you’re looking at. In Europe the quality is higher but you’re looking at €3-4 per graft. 

For what it’s worth, my personal budget pick from Turkey is Dr Demirsoy (the package where he does everything). Others will have their own preferences. Eugenix would be another excellent option and you’ll not find any difficulty in getting lots of patient journey’s on here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Although he’s on the forum list, I’m not personally a fan of Yaman. I’m speaking only for myself. You could do a lot worse, of course. PRP Lab… Just no. 

Why no to Yaman? I got told he does the incision himself which is a plus on Serkan

• Valued Contributor
1 minute ago, Jayhair said:

Why no to Yaman? I got told he does the incision himself which is a plus on Serkan

I’d seen some mixed results a while ago. All top clinics have some poor results too, btw. So I’m maybe being a little stringent but like I said, I have my own preference in Turkey based on my own research in the price range you’re looking at. 

Ultimately you just need to spend more time learning and researching. I don’t typically like to just list clinics unless there’s a specific reason for giving a list, such as top tier surgeons or repair specialists. 

Yaman vs Serkan is no contest though. No one on this forum would ever recommend Serkan Aygin. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2024 at 12:03 AM, berkserk said:

did you get a HT from either of these doctors? 

Yes i went to Yaman in Jan this year. 4700 grafts. Can't make a comment on my results yet but experience I'm relative happy. Will write full review in few months.