Dr Zarev and his techniques

Woody1000

Hi lads, so I’ve always wondered since discovering Dr Zarev 3 years ago now and I am extremely interested in how he manages to have a super clean and no bleeding donor and recipient sites on his patients. Even with some of the top hair transplant surgeons, I still have never seen how clean and neat the whole surgery has been carried out compared to Zarev. Would anyone be able to explain to me how Zarev makes the recipient and donor area blood free and making it look this neat. This is just out of pure curiosity and how this is even achievable.

thanks 

8F3467DC-456D-4C42-81CB-C2930B91C332.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Hi lads, so I’ve always wondered since discovering Dr Zarev 3 years ago now and I am extremely interested in how he manages to have a super clean and no bleeding donor and recipient sites on his patients. Even with some of the top hair transplant surgeons, I still have never seen how clean and neat the whole surgery has been carried out compared to Zarev. Would anyone be able to explain to me how Zarev makes the recipient and donor area blood free and making it look this neat. This is just out of pure curiosity and how this is even achievable.

thanks 

8F3467DC-456D-4C42-81CB-C2930B91C332.jpeg

If you Google 'zarev Ava fue technique' it gives some insight into his approach.

I would guess it's a combination of small punches and extraction using vacuum that results in less trauma, combined with a lot of surgical skill.

Edited to add: his work is really refined, but I have seen patients with more bleeding, in a way that looks more typical of transplant patients. 

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Like 1

• Moderators

He doesn't make any incisions beforehand. The graft is loaded into an implanter pen and then planted directly into the scalp, so that the recipient incision is made as the graft is being placed. This doesn't allow any time or room for blood from an incision to flow. It's a very clean method. That being said, I don't like how he uses the entire side and back of the head for the donor area. This is certainly going to leave a lot of patients with thinning hair transplants in a few years due to using areas well outside the "safe" region and since he takes the max amount of grafts he can get, there won't be any grafts left to take later.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

44 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

He doesn't make any incisions beforehand. The graft is loaded into an implanter pen and then planted directly into the scalp, so that the recipient incision is made as the graft is being placed. This doesn't allow any time or room for blood from an incision to flow. It's a very clean method. That being said, I don't like how he uses the entire side and back of the head for the donor area. This is certainly going to leave a lot of patients with thinning hair transplants in a few years due to using areas well outside the "safe" region and since he takes the max amount of grafts he can get, there won't be any grafts left to take later.

Look at that nw7 donor. looks excellent.

Its actually best to go with Zarev as his donor has less scarring & all your grafts have measurements taken. 

NW7's with retrogade are very rare & usually are seen rapidly developed under 30 too.

Of course when your 70-80 you will have thinner donor & lose some grafts but you will likely look fine with little scarring with Zarev's technique.

The donor he use is no different to other surgeons also just less trauma & scarring meaning more grafts can be taken.

So lets he takes 12k grafts. in 10-15 years if you lose grafts it likely it will look natural just thinner.

Who knows there may be some advancements by then & Zarev can use body hair also.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• Valued Contributor
4 minutes ago, GangB said:

I think it's a process that will produce many negative results.

Doesn't such a large-scale operation cause trauma?

You'll have to explain what your understanding of his process is to be able to answer this.

in my opinion dividing this surgery into at least three days,

this means that the person who has the surgery is exposed to all  medicine on separate days,

blood circulation Is it enough for hair follicles?

8 minutes ago, GangB said:

Now look at the results. Do you think the Zarev mega sessions (5000 grafts plus per day) result in lower yield than Dr Ferreira?

It seems Zarev does up to 5k a day and usually up to 8-9k over a few days. From my observations, his growth rates and as good as anyone, if not the highest.

There are other surgeons (such as Dr Bisanga) who work much more slowly. I'd argue he is likely to use more anaesthetic and risk more tireness in his patients even though the graft per day total is much lower.

As was said at the start of this thread, it appears Zarev uses his own bespoke technique for FUE which yields fantastic results.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I’m gonna be doing a podcast with Dr. Zarev later this month. Hopefully, we’ll learn a bit more about his technique.

• Like 7

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m gonna be doing a podcast with Dr. Zarev later this month. Hopefully, we’ll learn a bit more about his technique.

Sounds good can’t wait to see your pod with him. Do you think his approach to having bloodless donor and recipient will encourage better growth and healing or just pure surgery aesthetics? I only ask as even with some FUE procedures done by other great doctors has some degree of trauma at the recipient site which I feel would affect the growth and healing process. In Zarevs procedures, the trauma is such minimal on the recipient area it’s truly unbelievable.

what would you be thoughts on this? Maybe worth asking if it has any sort of value but still learning from patients who have had a transplant.

cheers Melvin much appreciated 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

Sounds good can’t wait to see your pod with him. Do you think his approach to having bloodless donor and recipient will encourage better growth and healing or just pure surgery aesthetics? I only ask as even with some FUE procedures done by other great doctors has some degree of trauma at the recipient site which I feel would affect the growth and healing process. In Zarevs procedures, the trauma is such minimal on the recipient area it’s truly unbelievable.

what would you be thoughts on this? Maybe worth asking if it has any sort of value but still learning from patients who have had a transplant.

cheers Melvin much appreciated 

I don’t know if there could be anything bloodless. But I believe he’s getting a patent for his tool. I’m excited to see how it will change the industry.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t know if there could be anything bloodless. But I believe he’s getting a patent for his tool. I’m excited to see how it will change the industry.

Well done on getting a podcast set up.

What would this mean exactly getting  a patent. He would then sell it to other surgeons under his name?

The donor mapping with the data he has would be another advantage he has also.

I do believe the extraction is the huge  advantage.

I think other surgeons with the larger punches cause a trauma around the area which reduces the grafts available

The thing is, there are ways to minimize trauma, but ultimately, especially if you are prone to scarring a certain way, the FUE scars will still be visible if you shave your head.

With intelligent donor extraction and the right tools, yes it can look better, and you can buzz your head probably down to a 2 guard, but ultimately FUE, or FUT for that matter, do kind of eliminate the possibility of shaving your head.

Maybe SMP in the donor area can solve this problem. 

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

As he mentioned he uses a (AVA) Vacuum assisted FUE tool, I would like to know how his own tool compares to the NeoGraft. I do wonder if he used the “NeoGraft” but modified it to the way he likes to perform his surgeries.

either way, he does a cracking job at what he does

11 hours ago, hairman22 said:

What would this mean exactly getting  a patent. He would then sell it to other surgeons under his name?

I think other surgeons with the larger punches cause a trauma around the area which reduces the grafts available

I was thinking about this. Could be possibly get his patents and then license them under a franschise agreement? Then you could have Zarev's all over the world and eliminate the bottleneck/excessive waits while making a fortune..

• Administrators
12 hours ago, hairman22 said:

I don’t wanna speak out of terms. We’ve had a private conversation. Hopefully, he can divulge more information later this month.

View my thread

Prices (hairtransplantation.bg)

You can now get consulation off schedule so basically jump ahead of queue for €900 

€500 for a consult now 

I paid 50 euro for my consult in March. Still €5 per graft though.

Insane prices for a consult now but the demand is crazy

Hopefully he trains some new surgeons at lower prices for people. He has a few surgery rooms so that seems to be the plan

Edited by hairman22

6 hours ago, hairman22 said:

You can now get consulation off schedule so basically jump ahead of queue for €900 

€500 for a consult now 

Hopefully he trains some new surgeons at lower prices for people. He has a few surgery rooms so that seems to be the plan

Had contact with Zarev in December of 2021. I put my case forward to him and he seemed impressed in what I presented.

unfortunately I never heard back from him after trying for 2 years prior before contact. So yeah I guess he’s extremely busy but always a reason for outstanding results

On 8/17/2023 at 8:27 AM, hairman22 said:

€500 for a consult now 

Oh this is fantastic news. Do you just ask him for off schedule consult on WhatsApp? 

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Oh this is fantastic news. Do you just ask him for off schedule consult on WhatsApp? 

Im not sure

Best to contact secretary they organise the schedule

They are good for replying aa well on whatsapp