HLC ANKARA 3580 Grafts for hairline and middle section

On 10/28/2023 at 3:54 PM, FaganBecker said:

May I ask how you can tell? I had to get quite close up to notice that. Is that something that is quite obvious/ damages the result to the more trained eye? 

So far I am quite satisfied with how it's going and am reasonably optimistic about what it might look like 3+ months from now. Should I be more concerned about the multis? I was told HLC was basically the crème de la crème of HT places in Turkey. Is this many multis not necessarily a sign of sloppy work?

Ah sorry, when I asked about minoxidil's skin impact, I was referring to managing the extent to which it ages skin. I have a few friends using it, all of whom similarly look exhausted the whole time. Dark bags under their eyes and oddly unhealthy complexions. They all attribute it to minoxidil! 

It could be true for oral minoxidil (and it is not) but is almost impossible for topical, because the very low systemic absorption.
About your HL: I can see just one double in first line but maybe a couple of new single are implanted in front of it and are still hidden under the skin.

On 11/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, FaganBecker said:

I'm now 4 months and two weeks into this thing. It seems it has been quite static now for a while. A marginal difference since I last posted pics, with my left side lagging considerably, especially in a well-lit, exposed environment. I am starting to get slightly nervous, since I think I was anticipating more consistent growth, chugging along slowly, but I guess that's probably not realistic. Slightly alarmed that when I get up close, I can't see any new hairs sprouting amidst the hairs that are currently there. I guess, we shall see! 

Beyond that, I have had a few comments from people that the new hairline looks quite artificial/'too straight'. I've struggled to totally get what they mean by too straight since as you can see in the photos it is a resoundingly bowing hairline shape. I guess that the front-line itself is perhaps too straight, given how thin the hair currently is?! Usually when people's hair starts to thin considerably it disrupts the lines of the hairline, which is perhaps why it looks artificial now, being such a defined line yet so sparsely covered? Nonetheless, it's just past 4 months so probably too early on to worry about this sort of thing! 

Beyond that, at the very front and centre of the hairline seems to be made up almost entirely of multiples, which does look a tad pluggy. This is something I am concerned about, but as I've been told here (and by HLC themselves) that it's too early to assess. Seems this is the well-trod path of everyone that gets one of these done. Panic, be reassured by everyone and their mother that it's too early to tell, panic some more, and then walk away basically happy. Still, definitely panicking!

Will upload progress pics in a month or so! 

Waiting for your new update. HLC is a top clinic  which produces great and very dense results and I’m sure you are going to be fully satisfied at the end. 😀

Edited by Belve
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So here is my 6 month update. 

I have my thoughts about it. I also have my thoughts about some of the communication I've had with HLC. But for now I'm just genuinely interested in seeing what happens in the months to come and of course, receiving some impartial opinions/advice from the good gentleman of the HRN. Will probably share some neurotic ramblings at a later point, but I don't want to influence what people think here... so for now, please just shoot. Tell me what you think - how am I getting on? 

(Pics taken in what I'd call, average lighting.) 

image.thumb.jpeg.5ccbb60515530cbd3e00fcba55676d70.jpegimage.jpeg.f57e4219cd200dfee060acf3dc541f04.jpegimage.jpeg.d1076fcda0e167efa31f35b947796582.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.420abae0f4295569ab7591062cd2df22.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff5712bbe8162568445d5eb78c8beccc.jpegimage.jpeg.7a02eb94bcb85e92c4abdfc4b0421c7b.jpeg

53 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

I have my thoughts about it. I also have my thoughts about some of the communication I've had with HLC. But for now I'm just genuinely interested in seeing what happens in the months to come and of course, receiving some impartial opinions/advice from the good gentleman of the HRN. Will probably share some neurotic ramblings at a later point, but I don't want to influence what people think here... so for now, please just shoot. Tell me what you think - how am I getting on? 

image.thumb.jpeg.5ccbb60515530cbd3e00fcba55676d70.jpegimage.jpeg.f57e4219cd200dfee060acf3dc541f04.jpegimage.jpeg.d1076fcda0e167efa31f35b947796582.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.420abae0f4295569ab7591062cd2df22.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff5712bbe8162568445d5eb78c8beccc.jpegimage.jpeg.7a02eb94bcb85e92c4abdfc4b0421c7b.jpeg

You have mainly multigrafts on the hairline thats why it looks like that. You should try another comb bringing the hairs a little bit at the front to cover it up. You still have 6 months to go.

4 minutes ago, jjalay said:

You have mainly multigrafts on the hairline thats why it looks like that. You should try another comb bringing the hairs a little bit at the front to cover it up. You still have 6 months to go.

Currently it doesn't brush down very well. Too thin for that. Also, despite double grafts at the hairline, I'm hoping to keep it brushed back. The whole purpose of getting a hair transplant for me was to restore my hairline. Obviously very far from satisfied with the way it looks currently. 

Edited by FaganBecker

2 hours ago, FaganBecker said:

I would definitely expect something better at the 6-month mark, especially given the large number of grafts being used. That said, the transplanted hair should become both less wavy and integrate better, just like your native hair (people say this can take up to 18 months, but from what I 've seen I would say closer to 12 months), which will give them a much better look, and also somewhat more dense.  

However, I share your frustration. I believe this result adds up to other sub-par results shown by HLC on this forum, many of which are characterized by a combination of a large number of grafts used (I did not see why you needed 3.580 grafts in the first place) and a rather mediocre graft survival compared to other reputable surgeons. 

Nothing that cannot be fixed though. I do not feel this will be horrible in any case or something that cannot be turned perfect with a small touchup from a skillful doctor.

Edited by Stoner
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stoner said:

I would definitely expect something better at the 6-month mark, especially given the large number of grafts being used. That said, the transplanted hair should become both less wavy and integrate better, just like your native hair (people say this can take up to 18 months, but from what I 've seen I would say closer to 12 months), which will give them a much better look, and also somewhat more dense.  

However, I share your frustration. I believe this result adds up to other sub-par results shown by HLC on this forum, many of which are characterized by a combination of a larger number of grafts used (I did not see why you needed 3.580 grafts in the first place) and a rather mediocre graft survival compared to other reputable surgeons. 

Nothing that cannot be fixed though. I do not feel this will be horrible in any case or something that cannot be turned perfect with a small touchup from a skillful doctor.

That's a very balanced response and I appreciate your thoughts.

In your estimation, would you assume I'm unlikely to see another wave of new hair growing here?

I haven't seen anything new coming in since approx early month 4. However, something about the pattern of growth suggests like this might be the most that I'm getting. 

Honestly, I'm trying not to jump the gun. It is only the half way mark. But I can't shake the feeling that this doesn't bode well. In certain lights, it's at best OK. In other lights, I think it's markedly worse then before I had anything done. At least then it looked natural, whereas now there is definitely an awkward 'somethings not quite right' look about it. 

With the clusters of double-grafts giving an artificial and overly defined line at skin level, the seemingly poor graft-survival making it seem very sparse and frankly pretty crap communication from HLC - after questioning the multi-graft issue I was forwarded by the lovely but over stretched patient coordinator who deals with most aftercare enquiries, Ebru, to a cagey patient liaison person who told me that multi-grafts were impossible and that I should use minoxidil for a further 6 months before assessing anything - I am feeling quite disappointed with HLC. They were adamant that it would be a good result regardless of what medications were used and the tone of his call definitely seemed like the beginning of a shifting of responsibility onto me.

Though, to the credit of HLC and the guy on the phone, they said that if I was unhappy with the result at 12 months, I could go back for a free touch-up. Still, this doesn't seem like the most reassuring sign given the results so far. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

So I take it based on that you think this is going to be a disaster? 

From what I see and from my personal knowledge, I think you will improve another 10-15% at its best.

Are you on medications?

Just now, duchaine said:

From what I see and from my personal knowledge, I think you will improve another 10-15% at its best.

Are you on medications?

What makes you say that? 

If you are right, that's very worrying, obviously, given that I think that right now I'd say I was at just under 50%.

Yes, I'm taking finasteride. Topical min messed with my heart rate. I'm going to try with it again, but ease my way into it very slowly to see if I can get used to it. 

2 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

What makes you say that? 

If you are right, that's very worrying, obviously, given that I think that right now I'd say I was at just under 50%.

Yes, I'm taking finasteride. Topical min messed with my heart rate. I'm going to try with it again, but ease my way into it very slowly to see if I can get used to it. 

I was suggesting to use oral minoxidil to see a quick improvement.

i talked two weeks ago with a former hlc doctor. We both agree that an ht improves over one year but, in 90% of cases, you need just 5-6 months to see if it is a good or a bad work.

3 minutes ago, duchaine said:

I was suggesting to use oral minoxidil to see a quick improvement.

i talked two weeks ago with a former hlc doctor. We both agree that an ht improves over one year but, in 90% of cases, you need just 5-6 months to see if it is a good or a bad work.

And do you think this looks like resoundingly bad work?

Also presumably if topical minoxidil messed with my heart, oral would be worse?

Edited by FaganBecker

4 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

And do you think this looks like resoundingly bad work?

Also presumably if topical minoxidil messed with my heart, oral would be worse?

The hairline looks unnatural (when I saw the hairline design it looked very nice the first line is very thick and doesn’t match your frontalis muscle and the shape of your skull) and the density is low.

oral minoxidil could give some issues, but at 2.5 mg I have never heard of anybody having problems.

Edited by duchaine

Just now, duchaine said:

The hairline looks unnatural (when I saw the hairline design it looked very nice but now it lacks micro irregularities and doesn’t match your frontalis muscle and the shape of your skull) and the density is low.

oral minoxidil could give some issues, but at 2.5 mg I have never heard of anybody having problems.

Interesting that you say that. When people on here were saying the line looked nice, I was surprised as I have thought since the very beginning that it didn't match up to the shape of my skull. 

3 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

Interesting that you say that. When people on here were saying the line looked nice, I was surprised as I have thought since the very beginning that it didn't match up to the shape of my skull. 

Hl design looks simple but is one of the hardest thing.

in any case, it is hard from some pics with shaved and bloated head if it is ok or not.

In any case, for a fair comparison, can you post better pics? Something like your pre op pics 

44 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

In your estimation, would you assume I'm unlikely to see another wave of new hair growing here?

No, I think it is fairly likely that you will see new hair growing until the 10-12-month mark, at least some. This is why I said I expect this to be denser. Since past performance is usually indicative, you might want to have a look at other cases from HLC either here, on Reddit, or on other forums to check what the usual growing timeline for patients who have gone to HLC is. I hope the comments did not discourage you too much, since you truly have some way to go still.

It is really hard to tell where this will land yet, but anything within 'ok-ish' to 'good' seems within the range of possibilities (sorry, that must have sounded like a liability waiver :P)

44 minutes ago, FaganBecker said:

Honestly, I'm trying not to jump the gun. It is only the half way mark. But I can't shake the feeling that this doesn't bode well. In certain lights, it's at best OK. In other lights, I think it's markedly worse then before I had anything done. At least then it looked natural, whereas now there is definitely an awkward 'somethings not quite right' look about it. 

I think the lack of naturality and the awkwardness may be more because the hairs are still wavy which will definitely improve overtime. They will mature and mingle fine with your native hair.

I saw your previous comment about meds. I would suggest trying topical min slowly, as you intend, and upping gradually. You can talk with a cardiologist to make sure it does not mess with your heart rate or whether oral min may be more apt.

Edited by Stoner

I am not entirely sure how this 'maturing' phenomenon of the transplanted hair proceeds and what is its timeline, not yet having had a HT myself yet, but I am sure more knowledgeable members here or just conducting some research online can help to soothe your anxiety. Hope I am right on this!

9 minutes ago, duchaine said:

Hl design looks simple but is one of the hardest thing.

in any case, it is hard from some pics with shaved and bloated head if it is ok or not.

In any case, for a fair comparison, can you post better pics? Something like your pre op pics 

Well I do appreciate your comments, but am going to try not to take them too seriously for now. I've seen some of your comments on here and they do tend to be quite assertive and certain. I'm counting on you being wrong, honestly, as there is still a way to go! 

Nonetheless, if you're right, I'll eat my words. will post more pics soon. 

Edited by FaganBecker