NW 6 buzzed look

I was thinking about this today… why don’t NW 6 guys get 3,000 grafts dense packed to the frontal third and then scatter another 3,000 grafts around the crown and midscalp and then buzz it down to 1 or 2 guard. Wouldnt this create a nice buzzed look that frames their face and gives an illusion of a full head of hair as opposed to them growing it out and having it look thin since you can’t get the full coverage. I know smp is an option but that doesn’t look as good at the hairline in my opinion than actual buzzed hair. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

I had this same thought recently. Basically, anyone is a candidate for a HT as long as they're willing to live with a high and tight or high fade for the rest of their life. You'd basically have to get competent at giving yourself this haircut as you'd need to do it often to prevent it from looking unnatural. And you'd need to be ok with showing the extraction scars. There is also some risk of this hair style not looking good on an older guy. 

• Valued Contributor
21 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

I was thinking about this today… why don’t NW 6 guys get 3,000 grafts dense packed to the frontal third and then scatter another 3,000 grafts around the crown and midscalp and then buzz it down to 1 or 2 guard. Wouldnt this create a nice buzzed look that frames their face and gives an illusion of a full head of hair as opposed to them growing it out and having it look thin since you can’t get the full coverage. I know smp is an option but that doesn’t look as good at the hairline in my opinion than actual buzzed hair. Thoughts? 

I like buzzed look more thn the poor density long hair look and i planned for the same if i don't achieve enough density ...i believe for high NW patient this is the wise thing to do if they don't mind buzzed look....should harvest whatever grafts available and create a good hairline and than spread it across whole scalp and also do smp with that to create an illusion of density ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Exactly… I had a buddy that maybe had 50 hairs left in his frontal 3rd and he got 3,000 grafts to the frontal 3rd and then buzzed it down to 1 or 2 and it looked perfect and frames his face. I don’t understand why more guys wouldn’t do this. As far as framing the face and looking like you buzz your hair by choice I would think this is almost a cure as long as you like the buzzed look… better than being slick bald or having very sparse longer hair throughout a nw 6 area. I would personally sense pack as many up front and then go lighter towards the back and mix the back with smp

• Like 1

@Recession1,

In my opinion, if someone’s ultimate goal is to shave their head rather than grow their hair weather natural transplant, it may be a better idea to consider SMP a.k.a. scalp micropigmentation.  By creating tiny hair like dots or tattoo using micropigmentation, the practitioner can create the appearance of short, cropped hair a.k.a. a buzz cut.

Moreover, you don’t have to worry about reducing density as you trail/taper back into the mid scalp and crown region since it is a tattooing procedure rather than using actual hair.  In other words, under close instruction, the pause looking cut will appear uniform in nature rather than appearing like there is thinning in the back parts of the scalp.

Of course, if you still want the option of growing actual hair, then you could go to the hair transplant roure or even a hybrid / combination of both hair transplantation and SMP to create the look you desire.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

6 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Recession1,

In my opinion, if someone’s ultimate goal is to shave their head rather than grow their hair weather natural transplant, it may be a better idea to consider SMP a.k.a. scalp micropigmentation.  By creating tiny hair like dots or tattoo using micropigmentation, the practitioner can create the appearance of short, cropped hair a.k.a. a buzz cut.

Moreover, you don’t have to worry about reducing density as you trail/taper back into the mid scalp and crown region since it is a tattooing procedure rather than using actual hair.  In other words, under close instruction, the pause looking cut will appear uniform in nature rather than appearing like there is thinning in the back parts of the scalp.

Of course, if you still want the option of growing actual hair, then you could go to the hair transplant roure or even a hybrid / combination of both hair transplantation and SMP to create the look you desire.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

You may not fully understand, the idea would be to achieve a look something similar to this. Not that a HT would get you to this guys density, but it would allow you to not have to worry about the lower crown or the lateral humps being very dense. 

High-and-Tight-Skin-Fade_mancaveutc.jpg

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

Thanks for the reply. I think Smp looks a little off at the hairline so actually having hair in the hairline makes a big difference. I would think a hair transplant couples with smp towards the back would look the best 

Heres a few more pics that are probably more realistic in terms of what could be re-created with a HT. Maybe it would look weird though if there was a gap of smooth skin with no hair in the lateral humps and lower crown and then below that in the donor area you can see the contrast due to the "shadow" effect created by the hair follicles that remain there, even if you shaved it down that same day. I guess that is where SMP would come in, but I kind of agree it usually doesn't look like a great match compared next to actual shaved down hair follicles. Maybe I'm wrong I never explored SMP much. 

faddde.webp

fadde.jpg

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

4 hours ago, Recession1 said:

This is actually my plan.

I am a NW5, who is visibly headed to NW6 or NW7.  

I got 3200 grafts on the front half of my head (to correct the receded hairline and frame my face nicely), and plan to get another transplant on the crown (as I have a pretty large bald area there).

The photos below are my pre-op and my post-op (at three weeks).  I plan to wear my hair both longer and shorter...but I expect my hair to continue to thin out over time, so that's when I'll opt for the full-time buzzed look.  

I agree that standalone SMP doesn't look that great (especially at the hairline), but I think SMP is an intriguing option to use WITH a hair transplant.

The only drawback with this strategy is any FUE scarring will be more visible.  Personally, I have some noticeable recipient scarring on my temple area (whenever I am under bright light), but it's easily covered up when hair is there.  I just won't be able to wet-shave my scalp.  Also, some people get noticeable donor scarring too, but SMP is a good option to mask that as well.

before.png

after.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Recession1 said:

The advice I received when undergoing my restoration from NW6 was to shave the back and sides and let the top grow out, the area with the transplanted hair.  These are from about 10m out from my last surgery.

image.thumb.png.3af792ba1892b98865f21ab5d376e7b2.png

image.thumb.png.884d5beda4cc7dcea5a5b9cf219370a9.png

image.thumb.png.07c64f228d346700c854a7ce42a7ca37.png

As you can see, this style looks better than from the same time period, but without a haircut, where the longer hair revealed the lack of density:

image.thumb.png.2814e2be615f20942717b603af3a50a0.png

image.png

Edited by AB2000
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Recession1 said:

Both look good. I agree shorter on sides looks thicker on top. AB 2000 do you have any before pictures. Looks like you got good coverage for NW 6 

I would consider the last three as the Before, but if you mean what I looked like before any surgery, I had a couple on my progress thread, plus how it changed through the years -

I saw somebody who had only done the front part and shaved he's head I could see a little difference with the transplanted hair on the hairline has they looked a little darker but he's  face is framed 

Perfect! That was my plan too but I don’t find anyone who do this! Now I see the plan is good 😁

i don’t understand why people want fill up the crown because the front/mid is so much more important in my opinion. You look 10 years younger with a hairline but Is only my opinion 😅

1 hour ago, ener said:

Perfect! That was my plan too but I don’t find anyone who do this! Now I see the plan is good 😁

i don’t understand why people want fill up the crown because the front/mid is so much more important in my opinion. You look 10 years younger with a hairline but Is only my opinion 😅

Aynen öyle kardeşim.

That’s why it’s extremely important to address the front first without adding extra grafts to the crown, focusing on the front adds more density and wastes less grafts. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Aynen öyle kardeşim.

That’s why it’s extremely important to address the front first without adding extra grafts to the crown, focusing on the front adds more density and wastes less grafts. 

Yeah right! I agree with you but each person must decide for himself.

This is my plan as well. I look really good with a buzzed head and beard. Considering i am a NW 6/7 i dont have high expectations. The important thing in this case is imo get a good framing of the face. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 7/19/2023 at 9:02 PM, ener said:

It depends on how large the bald crown is. If you have a huge bald crown, filling in only the front is not going to look so great. Take a look at the picture I'm posting below. If this guy transplanted his frontal 3rd he would still look exactly the same from behind. He would still be a bald guy. Buzzing wouldn't help.

ScreenShot2023-07-20at12_04_56PM.png.602147ae06c6de5a7af74987f0d5541e.png

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

The horseshoe shadow kills this look. Even if you look okay in the front, once you’re turn around it looks horrible.

This was after my last HT. My frontal band is dense-packed as you can see.

470f00ef-43f9-438d-9a8b-d3afdc81a22b.jpeg

But once I turn around that horse shoe is visible. Mind you this is with grafts placed in the crown.

IMG_8764.png

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Melvin, I’m actually impressed of how natural and dense  your frontal third looks buzzed down… if you had a buzzed head I wouldn’t think you had a hair transplant I would just think you had some diffuse thinning. Let me ask you this… let’s say you were going to buzz your head the rest of your life… would you rather have the current hairline and situation you have now or do you think it would look better clean buzzed with no transplanted hair?