Testosterone Therapy

Jemaddox

I'm not on TRT, so no expert on this. But if you increase your testosterone levels you accelerate hairloss regardless of blocking DHT, simply because testosterone also causes hairloss (albeit to a lower extent than DHT). All androgens do, for the most part.

• Like 2

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 3:16 AM, Jemaddox said:

Can anyone here share their experience with testosterone therapy treatment while being on propecia?   Just worried about future hair loss of I begin treatment.   Thank you

You probably want to try that 'More Plates More Dates' guy on Youtube.  He has some videos on the topic

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• Administrators

@win200 has some experience with testosterone and mitigating hair loss. I think dutasteride would be better. It also depends on the dosage. TRT dosages vary. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is surely a hotly debated subject.

"TRT" has different meanings for different people.

Some say they're doing TRT and in reality are way far past that, into 'steroid' territory.

Most Dr guided TRT is somewhere 80-200/mg per week,  averages dosages seemingly in the 100-120 range. Over and above that, it's typically past TRT ranges and those are steroid cycles, hopefully done for very brief periods if longevity/long term health is on that person's radar.

I've researched this topic tons and my findings have led me to believe that if one is pre-disposed to MPB, depending on their TRT dosage, they can in fact speed up rate of loss depending on their TRT dosage.

Eg if they were a NW2 at 33 and without TRT would've been a NW6 at 43, but added TRT dosages 200+ into the mix, they could arrive at NW6 in muuuuuch lesser time.

More test = more DHT to synthesize. Less test = less DHT to synthesize. 

Edited by jfally
  • Like 1

Regardless of the definition of TRT - an increase in your personal levels of testosterone compared to your currently lower levels, has the potential to heighten the risk of hair loss. 

It will likely come down to; 

1) your follicles sensitivity to testosterone as an androgen

and

2) how much of the additional testosterone will convert to DHT;

For example if you have a current test level of 400 - and propecia is currently blocking a 70% conversion of this to DHT, assuming propecia maintains its 70% block rate, and via TRT your T levels are upped to 800 - all variables stay the same eg. the excess T that remains free, aromatises and 5ar reduces at the same ratio - the remaining 30% of DHT will still be a higher value than what it was before. 

Could wreak havoc - could not. Depends on your sensitivity. 

As Melvin says - perhaps upping your regime to dutasteride may be of consideration between your and your dr, to increase the percentage inhibition factor - however you still have the potential issue of  testosterone to address.

This is where some people’s desire for utilising topical anti androgens comes into play. 

None of this is medical advice. 

• Thanks 1