Zarev NW7 Case

really good. Look at how high the hairline starts. It is almost half an inch into the scalp. It is a must if you want to restor extensive real estate with decent coverage. If you suggest most patients on this forum that hairline they start having an emotinal breakdown. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

really good. Look at how high the hairline starts. It is almost half an inch into the scalp. It is a must if you want to restor extensive real estate with decent coverage. If you suggest most patients on this forum that hairline they start having an emotinal breakdown. 

He could probably lower his hairline if the patient would accept a thin donor. But hairloss cannot get much worse than what that guy has so incredible result

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

That's an incredible result. If the patient had his temple points restored slightly it would be quite literally a 'perfect' result! 🙌 I know I will get flamed for saying this but my only concern with Dr Zarev is that I haven't seen the number of results that other high Norwood 7 surgeons (and their patients) show such as Dr Pittella and Dr Sethi. Both these surgeons have shown lots and lots of videos of how they go about the areas of a Norwood 7 scalp in detail and how they will (and do) address the areas that need addressing. I've never seen this with Dr Zarev. Having said that Dr Zarev is incredible from the few results that I have seen.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

That's an incredible result. If the patient had his temple points restored slightly it would be quite literally a 'perfect' result! 🙌 I know I will get flamed for saying this but my only concern with Dr Zarev is that I haven't seen the number of results that other high Norwood 7 surgeons (and their patients) show such as Dr Pittella and Dr Sethi. Both these surgeons have shown lots and lots of videos of how they go about the areas of a Norwood 7 scalp in detail and how they will (and do) address the areas that need addressing. I've never seen this with Dr Zarev. Having said that Dr Zarev is incredible from the few results that I have seen.

Also, results where the hair loss is not as advance. Sometimes it is "easier" to restore a completely bald surface area. You are transplanting grafts without any worry about collateral damage. As long as there is good growth it will look good. 

Sometimes it is a lot more technically challenging to restore someone with a lower degree of hair loss that needs careful transplant to minimize collateral damage with existing hair in that area.  

Edited by shiba1985

11 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

no other surgeon can get 12k scalp grafts or 18k he got in another surgery.

I saw 3 other similar results at my consult. He has a video on youtube how he scans the donor area with his software.

More patient results would be good but alot of clients are high end people who wouldn't post on a forum especially the one's from Bulgaria. We should start seeing more patient results as most clients are now from abroad & english speaking.

Eugenix are excellent but they dont have as good planning & cant get anywhere near as many scalp grafts. Pitella is amazing but he is well cant get as many scalp grafts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Also, results where the hair loss is not as advance. Sometimes it is "easier" to restore a completely bald surface area. You are transplanting grafts without any worry about collateral damage. As long as there is good growth it will look good. 

Sometimes it is a lot more technically challenging to restore someone with a lower degree of hair loss that needs careful transplant to minimize collateral damage with existing hair in that area.  

diffuse thinning case 

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/zarev-march-2021-consultation-and-december-2021-operation.132413/

Edited by hairman22

40 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

he uploads some of his results on insta

https://www.instagram.com/drzarev/?hl=mco

initially i thought they were fake simply because the results were so good

It is impressive sure but what is not explained is where are all those grafts coming from. They can’t be from the back of head because that dude doesn’t have 12k grafts, I don’t think he has 12k in total there lol

Sorry to be a skeptic but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. 

12k is a lot of grafts in one sitting, I can’t imagine what recovery from that would be like, the necrosis risk from such densely packed surgery and 24k holes in your scalp. The anaesthesia required.

What is even more odd is the dude is booked for years in advance but not many results to show for it. Something just doesn’t add up. 

Edited by Turkhair

1 hour ago, Turkhair said:

It is impressive sure but what is not explained is where are all those grafts coming from. They can’t be from the back of head because that dude doesn’t have 12k grafts, I don’t think he has 12k in total there lol

Sorry to be a skeptic but if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. 

12k is a lot of grafts in one sitting, I can’t imagine what recovery from that would be like, the necrosis risk from such densely packed surgery and 24k holes in your scalp. The anaesthesia required.

What is even more odd is the dude is booked for years in advance but not many results to show for it. Something just doesn’t add up. 

we have several of his patient here posting here tbh

a reason why Zarev's waiting list is so high

Is he said to me 9 months after the result he likes his patients to travel back to Bulgaria to review results.

Im a small enough surgery but he said 9 monthsafter he wants me to come back for review & photos.

I actually think this is a nice touch & shows you how he stands by his work.

Many  surgeons would have their money & just forget about you imo

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

I don't doubt his genuineness and i am impressed with his work ..but sometimes it seems unreal ...even if that guy has lets say around 15k grafts on donor than too how can on earth 12k grafts can be taken out...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I loved those videos (and was wowed too ) and admire him for doing this for community but I am skeptical too for below reasons.

1)I think those big cases were only on people with extraordinary donors. Not all his cases will be that high grafts ( all from scalp). surely we will see beard and body grafts used just like others.

2)I think there is huge risk that lot of those grafts he put there will not survive without DHT meds because he literraly took non DHT resistant hairs. Once the patient gets sides from meds or something happens like trying for a baby then they have to get off meds. All those hair are falling out for sure. and even in best case that they take meds for life , meds can only slow it down. Can't stop it.

3)Once his number of cases increase so will the bad cases of shock loss and if they get it then there will be no hair on back and sides as already he took majority which were the good ones. 

his videos did great marketing for him as it got him booked completely and i am happy for him but until lots of result with long term results come i cant say that his method is better than others. 

• Like 2

Zarev presents his work like every surgeon worth their salt should. There is no dull lighting or shady use of fibres or photoshop. It’s clear as can be with close ups in harsh lighting. I’m sick to death of seeing clinics posting fake results and enticing unsuspecting patients in. 

His cases for NW7 are incredible. Yes of course there has to be a strong donor but he can only work with the hairs available.  I don’t buy that he is selective, he’s just being honest and ethical. If your donor supply isn’t adequate there’s not much even a wizard like Zarev can do.

We’ll have to wait a few years to see if his work holds up over time but given how selective he is of grafts I’d be pretty confident it will

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ScottishGuy21 said:

Zarev presents his work like every surgeon worth their salt should. There is no dull lighting or shady use of fibres or photoshop. It’s clear as can be with close ups in harsh lighting. I’m sick to death of seeing clinics posting fake results and enticing unsuspecting patients in. 

His cases for NW7 are incredible. Yes of course there has to be a strong donor but he can only work with the hairs available.  I don’t buy that he is selective, he’s just being honest and ethical. If your donor supply isn’t adequate there’s not much even a wizard like Zarev can do.

We’ll have to wait a few years to see if his work holds up over time but given how selective he is of grafts I’d be pretty confident it will

Exactly.

He provides some of the most detailed, consistent, high resolution pictures out there, yet some people doubt his results, but believe other surgeons' with low resolution, phone pictures 😅

He is truly a top tier surgeon, no need to see more results to know that. If anything, most surgeons should publish 20-30 Norwood 7 cases like him (with the same picture quality) to be able to compare fairly.

I don't think there's a better choice out there than him for high Norwood people. 

• Like 2

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Any HT Dr can take as many grafts as Zarev does. They don't because they try to stay in the safe zone. It used to be considered a major mistake to take grafts from outside what is considered a safe zone. Now, for some reason, it's considered a great thing and is hailed as the best way to do a hair transplant. This makes no sense. If you really want to know if Dr Zarev is doing HTs better than other Drs then wait 5 to 10 years and see what happens to his patients hair. My guess is there will be a large percentage of them who have lost a lot of grafts by then.

• Like 3

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 5/31/2023 at 4:36 AM, Gatsby said:

I tend to agree with you Gatsby. For me, and really everyone on this forum who has consulted with Zarev, it was the in-person that sold me. He's very detailed in discussing the approach. Then he shows you a dozen or so cases that resemble your own. I also happened to see a former patient while I was there. Dr. Zarev is just not a big media and social media guy. I would say it's to his detriment but being booked out for five years probably indicates to him that he doesn't need to change anything. I would tell any prospective patient to do an in-person consult with any surgeon before making the big decision.

On 6/1/2023 at 3:24 PM, duckling said:

I loved those videos (and was wowed too ) and admire him for doing this for community but I am skeptical too for below reasons.

1)I think those big cases were only on people with extraordinary donors. Not all his cases will be that high grafts ( all from scalp). surely we will see beard and body grafts used just like others.

2)I think there is huge risk that lot of those grafts he put there will not survive without DHT meds because he literraly took non DHT resistant hairs. Once the patient gets sides from meds or something happens like trying for a baby then they have to get off meds. All those hair are falling out for sure. and even in best case that they take meds for life , meds can only slow it down. Can't stop it.

3)Once his number of cases increase so will the bad cases of shock loss and if they get it then there will be no hair on back and sides as already he took majority which were the good ones. 

his videos did great marketing for him as it got him booked completely and i am happy for him but until lots of result with long term results come i cant say that his method is better than others. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:25 AM, BeHappy said:

Any HT Dr can take as many grafts as Zarev does. They don't because they try to stay in the safe zone. It used to be considered a major mistake to take grafts from outside what is considered a safe zone. Now, for some reason, it's considered a great thing and is hailed as the best way to do a hair transplant. This makes no sense. If you really want to know if Dr Zarev is doing HTs better than other Drs then wait 5 to 10 years and see what happens to his patients hair. My guess is there will be a large percentage of them who have lost a lot of grafts by then.

Yeah, it is a risk going outside the "safe zone". But one I was okay with. My reasons were as follows:

- My balding has been fairly stable for 10 years so lower risk of my NW getting all the way to 7, of course not guaranteed

- No one in my family is a NW7, of course that's only a slight indicator and not a guarantee that I won't go there

- NW7 is only achieved by 7% of the population so lower probability that I'll get there

- I can tolerate oral finasteride and respond well to it which will greatly slow down my possible progression to NW7, of course not guaranteed (talk of sides and permanent sides are greatly overblown)

- I still have 4k grafts in reserve from my scalp for FUE with Dr. Zarev if I start to head toward a NW7

- Even further, Dr. Zarev says in extreme cases he can take up to 70%-80% of scalp grafts for very advanced Norwoods (so an additional 1.5k to 2k grafts for me), however this does require the patient to keep donor areas very short (nearly skin fade) which I saw as an acceptable option but a last option

- I have a pretty thick beard and can likely get 2k-3k grafts from it if there is big-time thinning in the recipient area

- I'm also okay with SMP to add the illusion of coverage/density

-I'm comfortable with an FUT procedure as a possibility down the road if recipient areas thin 

-Or in the case that nothing above works and I'm thinning greatly in the transplanted region I'm okay to shave my head and I chose Dr. Zarev because the scarring from his procedure is almost indiscernible

Just my my through process when making my decision. There are many things to consider and additional treatments if needed. I don't feel it's likely that it'll come to that for me. If you're not comfortable with the possibility of thinning recipient area don't get a procedure at all. However, I knew the risks and the ways to mitigate and made my decision comfortably. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 3:25 AM, BeHappy said:

I disagree. Most doctors don't spend enough time to figure out what grafts are going to be safe and which ones aren't. Given that Dr. Zarev spends multiple hours mapping out the donor zone, figuring out which ones outside of the "safe zone" will survive, he is able to get several thousand more safe grafts than other surgeons can. If he really thought that those grafts would be susceptible to further loss, he'd urge his patients to hop on the strongest stack possible (dut + oral min) but he doesn't even push his patients to take normal meds. Imho, most surgeons are more focused on scaling and making money, spending less time with their patients, while Dr. Zarev is one of the few doctors who puts his patients before everything else.

On 6/22/2023 at 9:25 AM, BeHappy said:

any fue goes out the actual safe-safe zone

quick reminder: this is the absolute safezone

FUT-vs-FUE-donor-area-600w.jpg

if you expect to bald down to the absolute safe zone (even with use of medication) you are not a suitable candidate either way. 

• Moderators
On 7/8/2023 at 1:58 PM, Fox243 said:

I disagree. Most doctors don't spend enough time to figure out what grafts are going to be safe and which ones aren't. Given that Dr. Zarev spends multiple hours mapping out the donor zone, figuring out which ones outside of the "safe zone" will survive, he is able to get several thousand more safe grafts than other surgeons can. If he really thought that those grafts would be susceptible to further loss, he'd urge his patients to hop on the strongest stack possible (dut + oral min) but he doesn't even push his patients to take normal meds. Imho, most surgeons are more focused on scaling and making money, spending less time with their patients, while Dr. Zarev is one of the few doctors who puts his patients before everything else.

You are not going to be able to know which grafts are going to fall out or not past about 5 years or so. If you don't see miniaturization today, that only shows that hair isn't on it's way out TODAY. In a few years you could have a lot more miniaturization than you do today. I'm a NW 7, but when I was losing hair in my crown when I was 15 I guarantee you I did not have miniaturization on the side and back areas where my hair was extremely thick. What about when I was 10? I bet even the top and crown didn't have any miniaturization at that point. If you see miniaturized hairs that just tells you what hair is going to fall out in the near future. I went from full head of hair to NW 6 in about 7 years. With the life of a growing hair being 2 to 6 years, which means basically once my hair fell out it in certain areas it was gone forever. How would you have seen any miniaturization on me far enough in advance to know how advanced I would get?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.