How many grafts sound reasonable in my case?

Hi everyone, I'm at about a Norwood 1, maybe bordering on 2 I'm not sure 🫣

Anyway, I've gotten some quotes from surgeons for potential transplants and I'm not sure what sounds too high or too low in my case.

Some places have quoted roughly 2,500, while another suggested a more conservative approach, between 700-1000 grafts.

I've always had a higher hairline so I don't really care about lowering it all that much, just wanna get more density in front and fill in the temple recession somewhat.

I don't know if anyone can help from these pics, but if you have experience/knowledge, what would your best guess be in my case? 

FYI, I'll be starting finasteride shortly to add to my minoxidil/laser cap routine, so I'll want to see my results with that after about a year. Might turn out I'm happy enough with it not to go for surgery right away.

20230530_125525.thumb.jpg.7ac57f2adc4347ba5d3282a2ad8b761a.jpg20230530_125538.thumb.jpg.c7617443500832393c3ebdbaca62b4ba.jpg20230530_125630.thumb.jpg.f7be79574156bee22cc32b28b8232953.jpg20230530_125529.thumb.jpg.ce419928c881f5eda4521dc395d0deb6.jpg20230530_125518.thumb.jpg.3a8c3fdc679407a4e79319250d4b6cb7.jpg

• Administrators

0 save your money and take a vacation. Your hair is mint 👌

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Please name the surgeon who gave you a quote of 2500 Grafts? 

Where was he planning to put all those Grafts? On your forehead? 

You don't need a HT, still if it bothers you then, 700 or max 1000

• Like 1

You don’t “need” any grafts, if you always had a higher hairline then you’re good as you are. Don’t risk messing it up ! As you’re just about to start fin/Minox it’s very possible you will be able to escape the hair loss reaper 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 2fast2FUErious said:

2500 grafts? Where in the world would all those grafts go? I’d say 1000-1500 max depending on where you place the hairline.

@2fast2FUErious LOL that's exactly what I was asking myself. Even in my limited research, I was able to estimate I probably would only need 1,000 to be happy with the result. I'm not looking for any miracles, just a slight improvement.

Edited by DaMoce9
wanted to add a tag

23 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

0 save your money and take a vacation. Your hair is mint 👌

Haha, I appreciate it bud; still bothers me a little, but this has been planned a while. I'm saving up for the day I feel I really need it, it's not a priority right now. Good to get some honest opinions from the community though. I think the doctor that quoted me on the conservative side is a way better option, because he''s echoing a lot of what I'm reading here. 

13 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

You don’t “need” any grafts, if you always had a higher hairline then you’re good as you are. Don’t risk messing it up ! As you’re just about to start fin/Minox it’s very possible you will be able to escape the hair loss reaper 😉

Thanks @BRITA-XL for the input. Yeah, in fact one doctor whom I felt very comfortable with (Dr. Ashlin Alexander) pushed me to try the meds first and that IF I were to proceed, that he would go very conservative given my age (31) and he wouldn't round out the temples too much. He said maximum he would do in my case would be 1,000 but more likely in the 600-800 range. 

I found some pics from my mid 20s to give you the idea that my hairline was always higher and I always had slight recession in the temples, which never bothered me. And to your point, a year on Fin/Minox may very well give me a result I'm satisfied with. Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate the community here, been very friendly so far.

FB_IMG_1673118788480.jpg.b69b419758205735e7e517c6bc349c58.jpg20230107_141651.jpg.6f7492e3f415cd41cd8663d1be9f1504.jpg20230107_141636.jpg.671ed7a174540c35996b3837e5c24d55.jpg20170923_115031.thumb.jpg.29815285c5957f4130903211363e634c.jpg

A reliable and professional Doctor would tell you to not get a hair transplant now! Remember a hair transplant should always be the last option! A hair transplant is a surgical procedure and shouldn't be treated like a product you buy off the shelf. An "M" or a "U" shaped hairline is the defining characteristic of a man's hairline. You're not a teenager! That's how a man's hairline develops. It doesn't necessarily mean you're suffering from androgenic alopecia. It's incredibly rare for a grown man to still have a juvenile hairline naturally without a hair transplant...The only celebrity I can think of is Steven Gerrard(former Liverpool player). Take your medicine and you should be okay!

Give it a year on meds and review the situation, see how you feel then. Say you was to have a low amount of grafts implanted, it wouldn’t match the native density you have already, it might not even frame you’re face as well as it is now. Just a couple of things to think about. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rawkerboi said:

Please name the surgeon who gave you a quote of 2500 Grafts? 

Where was he planning to put all those Grafts? On your forehead? 

You don't need a HT, still if it bothers you then, 700 or max 1000

@Rawkerboi Hair Transplant Medical Centre, which is in the Toronto area (not sure if it was a patient coordinator or a doctor, but Dr. Feld and Dr. Castillo handle the procedures there.

Also got a quote of 2,500 grafts from a Dr. Gupta at SureHair (He did mention that he doesn't do any procedures below 2,500).

Dr. Ashlin Alexander (also in the Toronto area) seems fairly new, haven't seen much of his work, but I so appreciated the fact that he didn't push for a lot and in fact encouraged me to try meds first for a year. He said IF he were to work on me today, max he would do would be 1,000, but more likely in the 600-800 range, given my age (31) and the fact I always had a higher hairline and he wouldn't want to overdo the temples in case I need the grafts down the road.

Just for my information, do you know any good surgeons who would do a smaller procedure at a decent price? Travel isn't an issue.

5 minutes ago, BRITA-XL said:

Give it a year on meds and review the situation, see how you feel then. Say you was to have a low amount of grafts implanted, it wouldn’t match the native density you have already, it might not even frame you’re face as well as it is now. Just a couple of things to think about. 

Thanks, @BRITA-XL I think that's what I'm gonna do. Might very well end up that I'm happy with the result after a year and won't even be thinking about surgery until years down the line. 

• Like 1

For now      : grafts = 0 , meds-> fin+min (after consultation with doctor)

1 year later : if meds dont help then grafts = 800-1000 and regardless of outcome meds can be continued to preserve other hair (after a follow-up consultation with doctor)

• Like 1

Update: Since I had already scheduled a consultation with Dr. Rahal's clinic in Ottawa, CA I went ahead and sat in on it, just for info. I was quoted 1,500 grafts (high density in the front). Didn't feel any pressure, I was encouraged to try the meds for a year and see how I feel after. 

1,500 grafts would be charged at $6.50 per graft, so $9,750 CAD + tax. 

Anyway, all this to say, will try min+fin for a year first before considering anything. Appreciate the input, everyone :)

How old are you? Your hair looks great. I would first do the meds for at least a year but preferably 2 before considering surgery. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

2 minutes ago, mavigo said:

How old are you? Your hair looks great. I would first do the meds for at least a year but preferably 2 before considering surgery. 

31. Yep, I just ordered my meds, so I'll be getting them shortly. Will try them out for 1-2 years, then re-evaluate things.

• Like 1

@DaMoce9,

Not only as a patient advisor for Dr. Rahal, but also as an educated patient with more than 15 years in the field, I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Rahal.  You aren't necessarily too young for a hair transplant however, your hair loss is only nominal.  In cases like these, Dr. Rahal often chooses to wait to see what to see what genetics are going to do rather than act in haste and densely pack your hairline to restore your hair as it may have looked when you were 20 if that makes sense.  While most men (including myself) want our hair back yesterday, sometimes waiting is the best strategy to ensure you not only get the best immediate result, but the best long term result.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

36 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@DaMoce9,

Not only as a patient advisor for Dr. Rahal, but also as an educated patient with more than 15 years in the field, I'm inclined to agree with Dr. Rahal.  You aren't necessarily too young for a hair transplant however, your hair loss is only nominal.  In cases like these, Dr. Rahal often chooses to wait to see what to see what genetics are going to do rather than act in haste and densely pack your hairline to restore your hair as it may have looked when you were 20 if that makes sense.  While most men (including myself) want our hair back yesterday, sometimes waiting is the best strategy to ensure you not only get the best immediate result, but the best long term result.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you for the input. I'll give the meds a try for a good long time for sure before turning to surgery.

8 hours ago, DaMoce9 said:

31. Yep, I just ordered my meds, so I'll be getting them shortly. Will try them out for 1-2 years, then re-evaluate things.

By age 20, I was already past you. Age 29, I had my first transplant but it was by a bad doctor. At 31, I hade my second transplant. You're in a great spot. After you start meds, you might never need to get a transplant. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Definitely do not get a hair transplant. But if you are planning on doing it at some point, first see how well you progress with the Minoxidil / Finasteride combo. You need at least a year to know how well of a responder you are. Then, and only then, if you plan to move forward, find the best clinic for hairline reconstruction, as you will not really need to address any other parts of your scalp or temple points. If you do it, you need no more than 800 to 1000 grafts as you are no more than a Norwood 0.5, HAHA!

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MazAB said:

Definitely do not get a hair transplant. But if you are planning on doing it at some point, first see how well you progress with the Minoxidil / Finasteride combo. You need at least a year to know how well of a responder you are. Then, and only then, if you plan to move forward, find the best clinic for hairline reconstruction, as you will not really need to address any other parts of your scalp or temple points. If you do it, you need no more than 800 to 1000 grafts as you are no more than a Norwood 0.5, HAHA!

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

I guess it's so true that we're always toughest on ourselves . Gotten some good perspective by so many folks in this thread.