Better results from Topical Minxodil vs Oral

LeveledUp

Has anyone experienced better results from topical than oral minoxidil.

Background:

Started Minoxidil June 2020 was on for 6 months then stopped.

Restarted Minoxidil around August 2021 and also started using finasteride 1mg

Then in October 2022 decided to switch to Oral Minoxidil via Manual at 2.5mg.

i continued using topical minxodil alongside for a month or so, to ensure oral didn’t give me any weird sides.

I switched from topical to oral mainly for convenience and any boost of regrowth.

However since stopping and using oral over the last 7 months, I’ve lost all the growth I got from using topical.

Understand switching may have induced a shed but 7 months in not seeing any sign of regrowh. Seems I’m back at baseline ish…

Topical seemed to give me better and more predictable results in a 7 months for example vs Oral min for 7 months.

Not noticed any hypertrichosis either.

Could I not be an oral Minoxidl responder? Should I just cut my losses and go back to topical?

Seems my hair follicles like Minoxidl applied directly to them as opposed to from the blood stream. Could it be a dosing thing 50mg per 1ml on topical directly to follicles - obviously not all is absorbed

Anybody had this experience?

just a bit stuck on what to do next, have tried to be optimistic about oral but seems a dead end for me

• Sad 1

From my knowledge and experience it is very unlikely that someone is a topical responder and a non-responder on oral minoxidil. The other way around is quite common though, as minox does nth for hair growth and has to be transformed in the active form first. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gasthoerer said:

From my knowledge and experience it is very unlikely that someone is a topical responder and a non-responder on oral minoxidil. The other way around is quite common though, as minox does nth for hair growth and has to be transformed in the active form first. 

Yeah that’s the impression I’ve always had, which is why it’s frustrating.

Understand results can take time but 7 months in from switching and being stuck at baseline pretty much is baffling.

Especially when I had more noticeable results from topical in a shorter windows.

But I’m starting to see similar experiences on Reddit Tressless sub from some.

Only other option is to see if I can source 5mg but privately in the UK. However seems hard to get on 5mg going through official channels - always 2.5mg which is what’s prescribed and recommended.

And ideally wanted to remain on 2.5mg as opposed to go up.

Or just go back to topical.

Trying to hold out another month or so but not hopeful of much difference.

very strange 

How medicines interact with individual people is always a weird and somewhat unpredictable thing. I've gotten great results from topical and since I work from home for a company that has virtually no "cameras on" meetings, it's really easy to apply as I don't have to worry about my hair looking ridiculous. So I've never really given much consideration to using oral. 

I would say that if topical worked for you better than oral as far as you can tell, go back to topical. 

I've been using the topical version for about 2 and a half years and saw some regrowth of fine hairs. Also added the oral version about 3 months ago, 1.25mg in the first two months and 2.5 over the last month but I did not see any additional growth. Didn't get any side effects from it either, not even hypertrichosis. 

same for me. topical minoxidil did better than oral for scalp hair. And it was vice-versa for finasteride. Oral min did one thing though that many of my body hair became longer and beard felt slightly better . Hope body hair go back to previous length and beard stays same if i discontinue it and switch back to topical😄 .

Edited by duckling

On 5/19/2023 at 9:14 PM, duckling said:

same for me. topical minoxidil did better than oral for scalp hair. And it was vice-versa for finasteride. Oral min did one thing though that many of my body hair became longer and beard felt slightly better . Hope body hair go back to previous length and beard stays same if i discontinue it and switch back to topical😄 .

Didn’t even notice any body hair difference here.

On 5/19/2023 at 7:59 PM, TheDarkHour said:

I've been using the topical version for about 2 and a half years and saw some regrowth of fine hairs. Also added the oral version about 3 months ago, 1.25mg in the first two months and 2.5 over the last month but I did not see any additional growth. Didn't get any side effects from it either, not even hypertrichosis. 

Yeah I’ve not even noticed any hypertrichosis since using it. My body hair seems the same as before, same goes for eyebrows.

So im like does my liver even have the enzyme at this point 😅

On 5/19/2023 at 4:49 PM, GoliGoliGoli said:

How medicines interact with individual people is always a weird and somewhat unpredictable thing. I've gotten great results from topical and since I work from home for a company that has virtually no "cameras on" meetings, it's really easy to apply as I don't have to worry about my hair looking ridiculous. So I've never really given much consideration to using oral. 

I would say that if topical worked for you better than oral as far as you can tell, go back to topical. 

Yeah definitely strange, I think roads are leading to topical…loved the convenience of popping a pill.

But looks like topical Min alongside oral fin works best for me.

Do you think capsule vs pill form could be a factor in this and/or quality of the min they use? The Minoxidl I take is a capsule and I know generally if you opt for a brand like Loniten it’s in pill form.

Maybe I should try another brand before I give up fully.

Otherwise if I want to see hair growth this year back to topical

• Administrators

It could be because the oral dosage is lower. 2.5mg = 2.5%. Topical minoxidil is 5% which would equal 5mg. But if the topical is working stick with it.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/23/2023 at 9:26 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

It could be because the oral dosage is lower. 2.5mg = 2.5%. Topical minoxidil is 5% which would equal 5mg. But if the topical is working stick with it.

Potentially.

I’m trying 5mg for a month or 2 see if things pick up.

Reluctantly I may add, wanted to stick with 2.5mg.

Going away in July too so think I’d rather start topical when I get back, and not go through a shed again switching

RE Topical and Oral equivalents, I thought studies found 1mg produced similar results to 5% topical initially.

Edited by LeveledUp