Has anyone experienced insomnia on finasteride?

Aspect

I have been on finasteride now for a bit over 9 months, and had been relatively fine up until the 8th month mark. I then started experiencing incredible insomnia, that would wake me a couple times a night. It got to the point that I would sleep for 4-5 hrs, and then wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep. 

I then would try going off of the med, and within 2 days my problem would resolve. Upon going back on the drug, the insomnia started the same night (which I’ve been told is impossible).

Should I titrate my dosage, or is this unrelated to finasteride? I also get my finasteride from ascend labs, which I’ve read has specifically given some people sides compared to other labs. 

55 minutes ago, Aspect said:

I have been on finasteride now for a bit over 9 months, and had been relatively fine up until the 8th month mark. I then started experiencing incredible insomnia, that would wake me a couple times a night. It got to the point that I would sleep for 4-5 hrs, and then wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep. 

I then would try going off of the med, and within 2 days my problem would resolve. Upon going back on the drug, the insomnia started the same night (which I’ve been told is impossible).

Should I titrate my dosage, or is this unrelated to finasteride? I also get my finasteride from ascend labs, which I’ve read has specifically given some people sides compared to other labs. 

There will be some forum members that will say it's all "nocebo" and that it is "all in your head". Even HT surgeons will say "it's because you don't have a positive attitude" Yes, I am looking at you Eugenix.

I do not believe in any of the above BS. if you have tried several times coming off the drug and your symptoms resolving, then it is most likely the drug.

I have heard of brain fog due to fin, but not insomnia. but it does not mean it is not possible. 

given that dut is stronger than fin, I do not think oral dut would be the next best choice. the verdict is still not out on whether topical dut a) actually reduces hair loss b) has no side effects.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Side effects do exist, but nocebo exists as well. If you look at studies, there’s always at least 1% of patients who report side effects with placebo. It seems that finasteride is one of those drugs that user’s attribute everything under the sun too, correlation doesn’t equal causation. I struggled with bouts of insomnia through out my life, and I didn’t take finasteride. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have never heard of insomnia as a side effect of Finasteride. 

As Melvin said, have you ever had insomnia before taking Finasteride? What was the cause then?

1 hour ago, Aspect said:

Oh, and should I maybe try dutasteride? I’ve been told some people have sides on fin but not dut.

You have this wrong, the opposite is actually true. Dutasteride is basically just a much much stronger version of Fin. So if you have sides on Fin, chances are your sides will only get worse on Dut. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

36 minutes ago, 12345 said:

There will be some forum members that will say it's all "nocebo" and that it is "all in your head". Even HT surgeons will say "it's because you don't have a positive attitude" Yes, I am looking at you Eugenix.

I do not believe in any of the above BS. if you have tried several times coming off the drug and your symptoms resolving, then it is most likely the drug.

I have heard of brain fog due to fin, but not insomnia. but it does not mean it is not possible. 

given that dut is stronger than fin, I do not think oral dut would be the next best choice. the verdict is still not out on whether topical dut a) actually reduces hair loss b) has no side effects.

I have in the past been very prone to imagining sides, as I do have a past of health anxiety and psychosomatic symptoms. However, I don’t know how I’d wake myself up in the middle of the night over it. but what’s odd is that it would occur the very same night I’d take it, which doesn’t make sense with how slowly it’s metabolized. I think I will try .5 mg and see if that helps.

6 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have never heard of insomnia as a side effect of Finasteride. 

As Melvin said, have you ever had insomnia before taking Finasteride? What was the cause then?

You have this wrong, the opposite is actually true. Dutasteride is basically just a much much stronger version of Fin. So if you have sides on Fin, chances are your sides will only get worse on Dut. 

I didn’t have insomnia before finasteride, but when I started taking finasteride I also started taking a lot of supplements. Fish oil, vitamin D, zinc, biotin. 

I can’t imagine those things could overtly affect my sleep but maybe they could have? 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Aspect said:

I have in the past been very prone to imagining sides, as I do have a past of health anxiety and psychosomatic symptoms. However, I don’t know how I’d wake myself up in the middle of the night over it. but what’s odd is that it would occur the very same night I’d take it, which doesn’t make sense with how slowly it’s metabolized. I think I will try .5 mg and see if that helps.

Anxiety is the number 1 cause of insomnia. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Anxiety is the number 1 cause of insomnia. 

Right, but it’s not really insomnia persay. Or maybe it is. I’m not sure. But I have a fine time falling  asleep, but I’ll wake up after like 4-5 hrs and just can’t go back to bed. I’ll lay there with an empty head, not thinking about anything, and just lie there. 

I had a few issues with insomnia one time. Try not get anxious is one. I do believe Finasteride can cause an issue. I had similar issue no problem getting asleep but waking up & could not get back asleep.

Also if you are on a calorie deficit if affects your sleep too more so waking up early also.

In your case I believe it is finasteride causing a hormonal imbalance causing you to wake up.

Anxiety has nothing to do with waking up more so falling asleep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hairman22 said:

I had a few issues with insomnia one time. Try not get anxious is one. I do believe Finasteride can cause an issue. I had similar issue no problem getting asleep but waking up & could not get back asleep.

Also if you are on a calorie deficit if affects your sleep too more so waking up early also.

In your case I believe it is finasteride causing a hormonal imbalance causing you to wake up.

Anxiety has nothing to do with waking up more so falling asleep.

Did your insomnia go away, if it did are you still on fin? 

Edited by Aspect

17 minutes ago, Aspect said:

Did your insomnia go away, if it did are you still on fin? 

Its fine. Im not on fin since 2017. Side affects. I never regained 100% sexual function have pfs still.

I was fine for 1.5 years sides slowly started then. I was on 2.5mg 3 times a week.

Edited by hairman22

3 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Its fine. Im not on fin since 2017. Side affects. I never regained 100% sexual function have pfs still.

I was fine for 1.5 years sides slowly started then. I was on 2.5mg 3 times a week.

So would you suggest going off of it or lowering the dose? 

Also, why were you on 2.5? That seems a bit high no?

12 minutes ago, Aspect said:

So would you suggest going off of it or lowering the dose? 

Also, why were you on 2.5? That seems a bit high no?

Dont know why so high of a dosage

I would just get off the drug since you are having issues. 

You can try lowering the dosage it may work

2 minutes ago, TommyVercetti said:

I certainly did 

How long were you on it?

And I don't mean to be rude, but your account seems a little suspicious. Creating it only 8 minutes ago (after I created this post) and then commenting immediately on this post once the account was created is strange. If you're genuine then I owe you an apology.

8 minutes ago, hairman22 said:

Dont know why so high of a dosage

I would just get off the drug since you are having issues. 

You can try lowering the dosage it may work

have you gotten blood work to see whats causing your issues?

maybe it isnt fin? 

Just a thought

17 minutes ago, Aspect said:

How long were you on it?

And I don't mean to be rude, but your account seems a little suspicious. Creating it only 8 minutes ago (after I created this post) and then commenting immediately on this post once the account was created is strange. If you're genuine then I owe you an apology.

Couldn’t remember my password mate and I wasn’t able to recover my hotmail account. So I just made another one there. You can take a look at my old account under the same name with a space between them 👍🏻

• Like 1

Nope, I haven't. Had insomnia long before so I don't think it's the fin. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

10 minutes ago, TommyVercetti said:

Couldn’t remember my password mate and I wasn’t able to recover my hotmail account. So I just made another one there. You can take a look at my old account under the same name with a space between them 👍🏻

Then I apologize. How long were you on finasteride?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mavigo said:

Nope, I haven't. Had insomnia long before so I don't think it's the fin. 

how long have you been on it?

Edited by Aspect

1 minute ago, TommyVercetti said:

Around 5 months or so 

what was your dosing? Did you ever try maybe lowering the dose to see if the sleep improved?