Seeking Advice for Best FUE Hair Transplant Doctors in Europe or USA

Hello everyone,

I'm a 40-year-old male who has been experiencing progressive hair loss for about a decade now. I used minoxidil for around 7 years and recently stopped. The hair loss may have accelerated in the last few years. You can get a better understanding of my situation from some photos I've attached. 

Given my circumstances, I believe that the FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method might be the best fit for me, especially as I sometimes prefer to keep my hair short. Nonetheless, I remain open to suggestions and want to make the most informed decision possible.

In terms of location, I'm primarily considering clinics in Europe and the USA. However, I'm willing to travel elsewhere if it means securing the services of a top-notch doctor. I'm planning to undergo the procedure as soon as possible. My focus is on the quality of the care I'll be receiving, and while cost is not a primary concern, I am committed to finding the most skilled and experienced doctor.

I'm in excellent health with no underlying conditions, and my ultimate goal is to achieve the best possible results from this procedure.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for doctors or clinics, as well as any advice you might have based on your own experiences or knowledge. 

Thank you in advance for your guidance and support! 

20230109_1312372 - Copy.jpg

20230109_1311322 - Copy.jpg

20230109_1311402 - Copy.jpg

20230109_1311502 - Copy.jpg

@FollicleRevival,

Based on the information you provided, you do appear to be a candidate for hair transplant surgery however, your hair loss is quite advanced and thus, you would need to have realistic goals as to what can be accomplished. Hair transplant surgery is about supply and demand. There is only so much available donor hair and if the demand for hair is greater than the supply, The doctor will have to be strategic in making the best use of your available donor hair.   

If we were to assess you as a potential candidate, we would need to obtain a lot more information and additional photos, etc. Your donor hair which includes hair on the sides and back of your scalp seems to be in good condition based on what you’ve presented however, we would clearly need to see more.

You said that you used Rogaine for seven years, why did you stop? You said that hair loss may have gotten worse in the last couple of years, do you think it’s because you stopped using Rogaine?  Have you ever considered trying finasteride? This medication is typically pretty good at slowing down, stopping or reversing the effects of male pattern baldness but works a lot better when used early  in one’s hair loss progression. Only hair transplant surgery is proven to grow hair and completely bald areas.

if you are interested in a no-obligation one on one information session with Dr. Rahal, who is highly recommended by this website and a member of the Coalition, feel free to send me a private message and I can go ahead and set this up for you.   Note that Dr. Rachel exclusively performs FUE and possesses a long proven track record of producing outstanding results. Feel free to do a search for his name on this forum to see what our patients are saying.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I decided to stop using minoxidil a few months ago, mainly because it no longer seemed to be as effective as it was initially.

As for finasteride, I appreciate the suggestion, but I have decided against using it. I'd prefer not to interfere with hormones to address a cosmetic issue.

Regarding the photos, if additional pictures of the sides of my head would be helpful, I can certainly provide those. Please let me know if there are any other specific angles or views that would be beneficial for a better assessment.

2 minutes ago, FollicleRevival said:

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I decided to stop using minoxidil a few months ago, mainly because it no longer seemed to be as effective as it was initially.

As for finasteride, I appreciate the suggestion, but I have decided against using it. I'd prefer not to interfere with hormones to address a cosmetic issue.

Regarding the photos, if additional pictures of the sides of my head would be helpful, I can certainly provide those. Please let me know if there are any other specific angles or views that would be beneficial for a better assessment.

Would you be ok to consider future surgery to stay ahead of your hair loss in the future? How about using topical Medication rather than oral?

Your hair loss is similar to mine though and our donor areas look similar so it is possible to get a reasonable illusion of density. However, I would be concerned about the longevity of a transplant given your level of loss.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Like 1

Thank you for your response. Yes, I'm open to using topical treatments as part of my hair loss management. My past experience with minoxidil was probably beneficial for a while, and I'm open to exploring other topical medications such as finasteride that could help maintain or enhance the results of a transplant.

As for future surgeries, I'm comfortable with that possibility. I understand that hair loss can continue to progress even after a transplant, and if additional procedures are required that's OK. 

• Administrators

For your case, I would consider H&W, Pittella, Eugenix. You need a clinic that performs large surgeries on high Norwoods. You will need multiple surgeries and it will cost a lot of money. Sometimes doing nothing might be the best solution, unless you’re willing to invest the time and money.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thank you for your recommendations. I'm genuinely interested in understanding your reasons for suggesting H&W, Pittella, and Eugenix. Could you share more about why these clinics might be a good fit for my situation?

Also, could you give me an idea of how many procedures you think I might need, based on your experience or knowledge?

I am willing to invest both the time and money needed to achieve the best possible results. My main goal is to make the most informed decision, so any further insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, do you think a mega session with Dr. Zarev could be a suitable option for my case?

Edited by FollicleRevival
Added question

• Administrators

H&W, Pittella, Eugenix all have a large portfolio of cases just like yours. I would search their names in our forum. You need someone who has the portfolio of restoring Norwood 6/7s. Zarev is another good name to research. I don’t usually recommend megasessions. I prefer breaking hair transplants into sessions. Less variability. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thanks, H&W told me that my final pattern of loss was aggressive and my donor reserves appeared limited so they didn't recommend a hair restoration procedure at this time. They recommended topical dutasteride for 8-12 months and said I could resubmit photos if there was improvement.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, FollicleRevival said:

Thanks, H&W told me that my final pattern of loss was aggressive and my donor reserves appeared limited so they didn't recommend a hair restoration procedure at this time. They recommended topical dutasteride for 8-12 months and said I could resubmit photos if there was improvement.

That’s actually a good idea if you’re not on medication. Getting on medication should be the first step before considering surgery. You could respond well, and if you do, then you would significantly reduce the number of grafts you require and the cost. 

I’ve been on their topical dutasteride formula for 2 months now, so far so good. We have a pinned topic

• Like 1

View my thread

My honest opinion is this you get what you pay for Hasson and Wong is probably the best in entire North America they have the perfect team and are such a great clinic, second place would be Konior however he does most of the work himself so he can’t achieve longer sessions with more grafts like H&W does. I was a patient of Dr. Hasson earlier this month, he is a great doctor and very noble person.  I’m a smaller NW around 3-4 with above average donor so they restored my receding hairline and front/mid scalp.
If the their topical Dutasteride doesn’t fill in my crown I’m going back to H&W again for crown work that’s all I have left to address.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your honest opinion and personal experience with Dr. Hasson at H&W. It's great to hear that you had a positive experience, and I can understand why you'd recommend them as a top choice.

Unfortunately, I've tried reaching out to H&W, but they won't be able to take me on as a patient. I truly believe that investing in the best care is money well spent, and I'm prepared to do so in order to achieve the desired results.

I'm not in the USA or Canada so Xyon won't ship to me. I could order it and have it forwarded to me of course.

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

H&W, Pittella, Eugenix all have a large portfolio of cases just like yours. I would search their names in our forum. You need someone who has the portfolio of restoring Norwood 6/7s. Zarev is another good name to research. I don’t usually recommend megasessions. I prefer breaking hair transplants into sessions. Less variability. 

Would Rahal be a good option?

I am a NW5 version of what FolliceRevival's hair loss pattern.

He doesn't do megasessions and breaks things up as well.  I just did the first session of 3200 covering the front half (so far so good), and I am still deciding on the next steps to address the crown at a later date.  He seems to have great results, but curious as to why his name doesn't come up often when people ask for recommendations.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Bucky O Hair said:

Would Rahal be a good option?

I am a NW5 version of what FolliceRevival's hair loss pattern.

He doesn't do megasessions and breaks things up as well.  I just did the first session of 3200 covering the front half (so far so good), and I am still deciding on the next steps to address the crown at a later date.  He seems to have great results, but curious as to why his name doesn't come up often when people ask for recommendations.  

Rahal is a great option as well. He’s not necessarily a Norwood 6 surgeon like H&W, he’s known for his hairlines. 

View my thread

Check out my thread. Still in the early stages but Dr. Zarev reckons he'll get me full coverage with acceptable density and I was much further gone that you. Many great options out there though. Eugenix, Pitella (my brother is having is procedure done there), Hasson and Wong. 

On 4/27/2023 at 11:26 AM, FollicleRevival said:

I got a similar message from H&W and was quite disappointed. I've been on oral dutasteride and finasteride for many years but quit last January due to the irreversible side effects. I thought I'd never go back on these medications in my life but it seems almost a prerequisite for many of these doctors and facilities.

1 hour ago, eyeofnewt said:

I got a similar message from H&W and was quite disappointed. I've been on oral dutasteride and finasteride for many years but quit last January due to the irreversible side effects. I thought I'd never go back on these medications in my life but it seems almost a prerequisite for many of these doctors and facilities.

It's probably worth trying the topical dutasteride

• Like 1

Hello all,

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions given so far. As an update, I've reached out to Dr. Rahel, Eugenix, Dr. Zarev, and Dr. Pittella to discuss my case and potential next steps.

I've noticed that Dr. Sahar Nadimi's name hasn't come up in this thread. She was someone I had initially considered due to her reputation and expertise. Is there a particular reason her name was not mentioned? I would be interested to know if there are specific factors or considerations that led to her exclusion from the suggestions.

I had also considered the Wimpole Clinic with potential surgeons such as Dr. May, Dr. Dayah, or Dr. Ahmad. A friend of mine experienced positive results with them. However, I noticed that this forum does not speak highly of the clinic.

53 minutes ago, FollicleRevival said:

Hello all,

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions given so far. As an update, I've reached out to Dr. Rahel, Eugenix, Dr. Zarev, and Dr. Pittella to discuss my case and potential next steps.

I've noticed that Dr. Sahar Nadimi's name hasn't come up in this thread. She was someone I had initially considered due to her reputation and expertise. Is there a particular reason her name was not mentioned? I would be interested to know if there are specific factors or considerations that led to her exclusion from the suggestions.

I had also considered the Wimpole Clinic with potential surgeons such as Dr. May, Dr. Dayah, or Dr. Ahmad. A friend of mine experienced positive results with them. However, I noticed that this forum does not speak highly of the clinic.

Nadimi stays on the lower end of graft counts.  Usually maxing out at around 2k.

I have added two more pictures of my left and right sides to provide a more comprehensive view.

From an aesthetic standpoint, which areas should be a priority for treatment? I appreciate all the input and advice I've received so far, and I'm looking forward to hearing more thoughts.

20230109_134219~2.jpg

20230109_1342252.jpg

In my estimate it looks like you might have a thousand grafts in that donor.  And you probably need about 6-8000 grafts depending on your head dimensions.  I'm afraid the math doesn't add up.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a similar boat, if it's any consolation.

2 hours ago, MisterBreakfast said:

In my estimate it looks like you might have a thousand grafts in that donor.  And you probably need about 6-8000 grafts depending on your head dimensions.  I'm afraid the math doesn't add up.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a similar boat, if it's any consolation.

ive seen eugenix and pittella doing wonders with beard hair tbh