Anyone feel there hair would of been salvaged more hair if they used finasteride earlier?

I'm about 50 and i never got on finasteride, i finally got a hair transplant. But the coverage would of been so so so much less if i had tried it so much earlier in life.

I feel like i could of gone through my 40's with much better hair if I got on this when i was 30 or so. My hair deteriorated rapidly though my 40's looking at pics, you have to really question what the hell i was thinking not slowing it down. 

I guess we shall never know but i feel like I could have really prevented the damage that occurred leaving it  untreated. 

• Thanks 1

Well you would have utilized that time to focus on something else in life. So try to take it positively.

No one can turn the clock so better to forget about it. Would more hair have changed anything in life ? no it can only boost your self confidence that too if you let your hairloss affect it in any way. (easier said? maybe yes )

Well I am regretting it now. Going for my second transplant & they said unlikely I will get it totally fixed. If I took finasteride earlier I'd probably be just fine with 2 transplants I would certainly hope. Far less coverage needed. But Yeah it wasn't the best idea to delay it so long.

I do regret it everyday. 

Before losing hair I couldn't really be bothered about money so my plan was to go back to my country after getting a degree abroad. After losing it Saddly it became my priority to lift this so called slaphead curse out of my head. 

Which is why I staid abroad instead of returning home because I couldn't bear the shame of showing my face to friends in this state. 

So it has been 8 years since then, I will go for surgery and hopefully address these concerns for good. 

• Administrators

I know I would have salvaged more hair. Unfortunately, I got sides. If only there would have been topical versions easily available back then. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 hours ago, Gregg H said:

Well I am regretting it now. Going for my second transplant & they said unlikely I will get it totally fixed. If I took finasteride earlier I'd probably be just fine with 2 transplants I would certainly hope. Far less coverage needed. But Yeah it wasn't the best idea to delay it so long.

Nobody knows for sure.

I know tons of guys who are bald/balding who either take finasteride or don't take it.

It's a mixed bag of good responders, non-responders, and people who didn't progress much further despite not being on any meds at all.

I wouldn't dwell on something that's happened in the past, especially if you don't even know if you would have even responded well to it at all.  

There’s no question that I would have lost less hair…I was a NW5 when Propecia was approved and I was already cutting Proscar.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

I couldn't start it sooner as it wasn't available until I was already between a NW 6 and NW 7, however I did use Fin for about 11 years and my hair loss continued (maybe improved or stayed the same the first few years, but downhill from there), so I don't think it would have saved any hair if I was able to start sooner. I actually wish I never got on it. It thinned out my body hair which I needed to use for repairs. My body hair is still growing in more since I been off Fin for over 10 years and it would have been much better if it never thinned out from Fin in the first place. With BHT being used a lot these days, this is something a lot of men should think about.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I do feel very lucky that i was proactive on getting on finasteride in my early stages of hair loss. I absolutely have this community to thank for that too. 

On 4/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, TheGreatPretender said:

I do regret it everyday. 

Before losing hair I couldn't really be bothered about money so my plan was to go back to my country after getting a degree abroad. After losing it Saddly it became my priority to lift this so called slaphead curse out of my head. 

Which is why I staid abroad instead of returning home because I couldn't bear the shame of showing my face to friends in this state. 

So it has been 8 years since then, I will go for surgery and hopefully address these concerns for good. 

This really sucks to read man. Obviously all of us here dislike our hair loss because we’re willing to do pretty significant things to try and change that. But i’m sure your friends would be your friends regardless. I do hope you achieve what you’re hoping mate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mac187 said:

I do feel very lucky that i was proactive on getting on finasteride in my early stages of hair loss. I absolutely have this community to thank for that too. 

This really sucks to read man. Obviously all of us here dislike our hair loss because we’re willing to do pretty significant things to try and change that. But i’m sure your friends would be your friends regardless. I do hope you achieve what you’re hoping mate.

I have no doubt they would but I wouldn't feel comfortable around them as I was in the past. do however appreciate your kind words.  

• Like 1