Going Live with Dr. Sergio Vano Author of the Largest Oral Minoxidil Study

• Administrators

I'm going live at 10 am pacific time with Dr. Sergio Vano, the author of the largest low-dose oral minoxidil study. Dr. Vano has extensive knowledge of hair loss treatments and pipeline drugs. He has treated hair loss via medication alone and achieved incredible results. Don't miss out on this one. 

b10bc9be-cbf4-4a60-aeb7-2350527dee6e.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
Just now, mr_peanutbutter said:

i need oral minoxidil source in europe so badly 🥲

people from the usa are so lucky bc they can order it for cheap and without any prescription from india..

I will ask him about getting it in Europe. It’s not so easy in the US either. Most dermatologists don’t want to prescribe it since it’s a topical over the counter. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

36 minutes ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

i need oral minoxidil source in europe so badly 🥲

people from the usa are so lucky bc they can order it for cheap and without any prescription from india..

It's very hard to get it in Spain. I got it prescribed as Loniten 10 mg, but...there's a global shortage, so I had to get a hand written authorization by my family doctor to have it formulated by the pharmacy in case of shortage (normal prescription that said "Loniten" and not "oral minoxidil" wasn't valid for that). Such an authorization only lasts for a year, so I have to be vigilant and get a new one every year to avoid being without Loniten in case of another shortage.

A true PITA if you ask me, I hope it helps me to regrow my temples in the following months to compensate for the inconveniences haha

• Like 1

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

I'd like to know why so many doctors are sure that the same serious side effects that are observed at the higher dosages prescribed for blood pressure are not possible with low dosage. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Berik said:

I'd like to know why so many doctors are sure that the same serious side effects that are observed at the higher dosages prescribed for blood pressure are not possible with low dosage. 

Because that’s what he’s observed in his large scale clinical trial. He’s not just some doc, he’s one of the leading doctors in Europe whose participated in dozens of clinical studies.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33639244/

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sergio-Vano-Galvan

View my thread

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Berik said:

Additionally, why it is prescribed orally apart from convenicence as there is no clnical data that tests its efficacy over topical, as far as I am aware of. 

There’s enough anecdotal evidence to suggest oral is far superior to the topical. I took topical minoxidil for almost a decade before switching to oral, and hands down it’s more effective.

• Like 3

View my thread

Right, but it's a study based on a ton of different doctors results. It is not a randomized clinical trial, and there are a lot of different variables to account for when it is done this way. It wasn't actually data that was gathered by him, rather an analysis of a large amount of doctors and their patient's data through their prescription of oral minoxidil by retrospective design There's a big difference between double-blind studies and that. 

Essentially, when will further clinical studies with better evidence take place if at all to test both the efficacy and safety profile?

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I'm going live at 10 am pacific time with Dr. Sergio Vano, the author of the largest low-dose oral minoxidil study. Dr. Vano has extensive knowledge of hair loss treatments and pipeline drugs. He has treated hair loss via medication alone and achieved incredible results. Don't miss out on this one. 

b10bc9be-cbf4-4a60-aeb7-2350527dee6e.JPG

Does the efficacy of oral Minoxidil vary for patients with hypertension vs patients without?

This guy is top of the game when it comes to hair loss medication. 

The biggest shame with the Loniten shortage is the reliance on local pharmacy’s compounding to remain consistent - which is simply never going to be on par as to what a pharmaceutical giant such as Pfizer are able to execute. 

If the shortage is due to loniten not being commonly prescribed for hypertension anymore, then it would be nice if this medication for hairloss continued to gain further momentum, and they could perhaps upscale the  production of their lower dose formulas, in a back door route to enter the off label hair loss market without having the drama of gaining FDA approval - similar to how GSK are able to do so with their Avodart. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

The biggest shame with the Loniten shortage is the reliance on local pharmacy’s compounding to remain consistent - which is simply never going to be on par as to what a pharmaceutical giant such as Pfizer are able to execute. 

If the shortage is due to loniten not being commonly prescribed for hypertension anymore, then it would be nice if this medication for hairloss continued to gain further momentum, and they could perhaps upscale the  production of their lower dose formulas, in a back door route to enter the off label hair loss market without having the drama of gaining FDA approval - similar to how GSK are able to do so with their Avodart. 

Goddamn politics!

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Curious25 said:

It’s honestly baffling. I have no idea why this is an issue in Europe. It’s easy to get in the US once we have a prescription. It makes sense that side effects occurred when it was compounded incorrectly. Thats why I tell people to not try and compound their own dutasteride. Last you want is to absorb a large dose all at once.

View my thread

Oral minoxidil is so much better than topical. Topical is a pain in the ass to use. You have to sqoosh it or spray it into your hair and then rub it into your scalp, and then wash your hands, and then do your best to style your unkempt floppy wet hair, and good luck if you are using concealers of any sort. And then wait to dry. And if it works, your hair gets thicker and f your hair gets thicker it gets harder to make the product reach the scalp.

Anyway this Dr Sergio fills me with the hair greed, he has superb hairline.

• Like 1

• Administrators

You guys can watch the full interview here

• Like 4

View my thread

• Administrators
3 hours ago, samz_033 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9577643/. Low dose oral minoxidil can be dangerous 

Ibuprofen can be dangerous, the question is the percentage. According to Dr. Vaños study and research only 1.7% had these side effects.

View my thread

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

but you do not take ibuprofen every day

Daily multivitamins can kill you

https://sciencenordic.com/biotechnology-denmark-the-body/confirmed-vitamin-pills-can-cause-death/1463408

View my thread

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2023 at 2:34 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Ibuprofen can be dangerous, the question is the percentage. According to Dr. Vaños study and research only 1.7% had these side effects.

It's not only about the quantity, but much more about the quality of side effects. If I remember correctly Minoxidil can cause scar tissue around the heart and irregularities in your T-wave. That's just a different quality than "if you experience low libido you just lower the dose or stop medication and you're fine" as it is with Finasteride.

Issues with the cardiovascular system are the most common causes of death in the western world. Furthermore does the fact that Dr. Sinclair is not only the author of the study about low dose oral minoxidil, but also the holder ot a patent for it not increase my trust in this approach.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, loopingluke said:

It's not only about the quantity, but much more about the quality of side effects. If I remember correctly Minoxidil can cause scar tissue around the heart and irregularities in your T-wave. That's just a different quality than "if you experience low libido you just lower the dose or stop medication and you're fine" as it is with Finasteride.

Issues with the cardiovascular system are the most common causes of death in the western world. Furthermore does the fact that Dr. Sinclair is not only the author of the study about low dose oral minoxidil, but also the holder ot a patent for it not increase my trust in this approach.

I haven’t heard of any sides containing scar tissue around the heart. The most common issue is arrhythmia. It doesn’t matter if he’s the holder of any patent. Oral minoxidil is probably the most effective and cheapest medication. $20 for a 90-day supply. The tests are all on oral minoxidil, which can be purchased for cheap anywhere. Medication is a personal thing, so if you don’t feel comfortable taking it, don’t.

View my thread

32 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Oral minoxidil is probably the most effective and cheapest medication.

I never doubted that :D The question is if it's worth the potential side effects which are shown in several studies for the oral use of Minoxidil for the treatment of hypertension, as well as for hair loss and gave Loniten the honor of a black box warning.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It doesn’t matter if he’s the holder of any patent

If it wouldn't matter he hasn't had to mention this in the study under the point "conflict of interests". But beside this point the study also lacks of quality. A small sample size (50 people) and results in terms of efficacy which are not significant...

I will keep an eye on oral Minoxidil but so far I'm not convinced because of the potential side effects.