can you pinch your scalp like that?

• Moderators

This guy is an excellent candidate for FUT. He can get a good size strip out of his donor without putting any tension on the area, so he shouldn't have any scar stretching.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

3 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

so basically were all not good fut candidates

There are exercises to do for preparing the scalp for FUT, getting the laxity needed.  I find that rubbing in a liquid botanical into my scalp each day has made the skin much looser.

@mr_peanutbutter,

Scalp elasticity is really only important if you are undergoing FUTA hair transplant surgery. If you are looking to undergo FUE, elasticity becomes irrelevant.  I don’t know much about your situation but I’m assuming you’re concerned about elasticity because you are thinking about undergoing FUT?   have you ever had a hair transplant before?  Also, have you tried pinching the back of the scalp as opposed to the sides and if so, what was the result? 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

21 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@mr_peanutbutter,

Scalp elasticity is really only important if you are undergoing FUTA hair transplant surgery. If you are looking to undergo FUE, elasticity becomes irrelevant.  I don’t know much about your situation but I’m assuming you’re concerned about elasticity because you are thinking about undergoing FUT?   have you ever had a hair transplant before?  Also, have you tried pinching the back of the scalp as opposed to the sides and if so, what was the result? 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

yes im considering fut (and eventually fue later) bc ive read here that it gives you between 1k-2k grafts more to transplant over your lifetime

source: 

…but only if you have  lax scalp..so the 1 mio dollar question: when is your scalp actually considered high laxity?

i already asked this here 

(even though i used the term elasticity there when apparently the term laxity is more accurat..)

„Surgeons use the term elasticity to describe what you call stretching. And patients with high elasticity are poorer candidates for FUT because they are more likely to have wide scars.

Good FUT candidates have laxity which is define by normal-to-high glidability and normal-to-low elasticity.“

anyways there doesnt seem to be a standardized form to actually measure it, so i really wondered how my scalp is on the laxity scale…dr mohebi tried apparently with his laxometer but it doesnt seem to be in wide use 

all in all there is really not much info (if any) for patients to determine where in the laxity scale there are right now. would be nice to see example of persons with high laxity and low laxity..

judging on this picture i seem to be on the lower end bc i cant pinch my skin like that. i can do the movements when i do these scalp laxity exercises but i definitely cant grab as much scalp as done in this pic

if i try this on my back its even worse…

for this it means i probably rather go with fue even though i wouldnt have that much  issue with fue and the scar bc i dont go short on the sides really

Edited by mr_peanutbutter