FUE HT Regret. Will getting laser removal for all of my hair leave visible scars?

Hello everyone,

I'm 27 and I've filled my temples with 1700 grafts a year ago (NW2). Although the result wasn't bad according to others (even a different, more reputable clinic confirmed this and advised against any touch up) I'm not satisfied with the result (density, hairline, overall appearance) and it's been affecting my mental health. I'm paranoid about other people noticing it, the way the sun hits, wind, etc. so I can't relax and enjoy things around others. I've even stopped using finasteride because I felt it was affecting my erections/orgasms and feared my gyno would come back.

With that said, do you think getting rid of ALL my hair via laser removal would be a good idea or will scarring be evident? I just want to stop caring about hair forever and move on 🙁.

I suppose shaving with a razor would show me what to expect from it?

Has any of you done tried shaving with a razor or laser removal? If so, how did it look like, both the donor and recipient area? I wasn't able to find any testimonies in this forum, if you know of any please send me links.

For example, I know Joe Rogan had a hair transplant he regrets, and has been shaving since. At least I would never tell from watching his videos.

Thank you very much.

IMG_20220222_170643.jpg

IMG_20220301_191129_1.jpg

IMG_20220303_111642.jpg

111.jpg

before ht.jpg

• Administrators

I don't think laser removal is necessary. If you shave with a razor, you could smp the donor scars. In my opinion, you're better off repairing the surgery. It doesn't look that bad. It's a simple fix.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I think if it's the appearance you're concern about at the end of the day it could afford to be 'softened' and removing the multi-haired grafts close to the edge. If there are no scars there now then laser will not cause the development of any new ones

• Valued Contributor

You know if you are a year post op you could actually shave your head and see how you feel about a buzzed look. You can always grow it back and if it still bothers you then as @Melvin- Moderator said you could SMP the donor scars. The most important thing is not to make an impulse decision if you want to laser the grafts off. Looking back if I didn't have my hairline plugs surgically removed via several strip procedures, they could have been used and not wasted years later. All the best and just take your time.

5 hours ago, tatasabaya said:

Hello everyone,

I'm 27 and I've filled my temples with 1700 grafts a year ago (NW2). Although the result wasn't bad according to others (even a different, more reputable clinic confirmed this and advised against any touch up) I'm not satisfied with the result (density, hairline, overall appearance) and it's been affecting my mental health. I'm paranoid about other people noticing it, the way the sun hits, wind, etc. so I can't relax and enjoy things around others. I've even stopped using finasteride because I felt it was affecting my erections/orgasms and feared my gyno would come back.

With that said, do you think getting rid of ALL my hair via laser removal would be a good idea or will scarring be evident? I just want to stop caring about hair forever and move on 🙁.

I suppose shaving with a razor would show me what to expect from it?

Has any of you done tried shaving with a razor or laser removal? If so, how did it look like, both the donor and recipient area? I wasn't able to find any testimonies in this forum, if you know of any please send me links.

For example, I know Joe Rogan had a hair transplant he regrets, and has been shaving since. At least I would never tell from watching his videos.

Thank you very much.

IMG_20220222_170643.jpg

IMG_20220301_191129_1.jpg

IMG_20220303_111642.jpg

111.jpg

before ht.jpg

sometimes we can be our own worst critic. anything can be fixed. in fact your case would be very easy. you have very nice, good quality hair and excellent density. what you have to get clear is what is really satisfactory for you. have a clear picture of what you look for in a hair line but you want one that also fits your profile. visualize it. get an app on your phone and play with it. you also might get a good laugh out of it, you need it. then seek professional advice only from several top ht doctors only. you don't need a lot of hair to fix this at all. like what others say take your time. fast decisions end up in fast regrets. in the meantime grow your hair longer and use concealer until you have everything well planned out  to take the next step. best of luck! its not the end of the world but just the beginning.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

This is an easy fix and laser surgery wouldn’t be necessary at all. It’s not the most refined HT work we’ll ever see but it’s not a complete horror show by any means either. 

You could probably have some of the problem grafts at the very front punched out and placed further back into weaker areas, then then some soft singles placed in front to give a slightly softer, more natural appearance. 

I am having very much the same thoughts as you, so can fully sympathise. I stupidly got a 4k graft hair transplant as a norwood 5 and am unhappy with my hairline and have a bald crown, with I don't think too many donor hairs left. I feel I look ridiculous and have been googling laser hair removal this week. I just wish I could turn back the clock to before the transplant, it's massively impacting my mental health too

On 3/23/2023 at 2:19 AM, Gatsby said:

You know if you are a year post op you could actually shave your head and see how you feel about a buzzed look. You can always grow it back and if it still bothers you then as @Melvin- Moderator said you could SMP the donor scars. The most important thing is not to make an impulse decision if you want to laser the grafts off. Looking back if I didn't have my hairline plugs surgically removed via several strip procedures, they could have been used and not wasted years later. All the best and just take your time.

Thanks man I appreciate it, I just saw your interview with Baldcafe and wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I was thinking that maybe if I shaved with a razor / had laser removal, my scars wouldn't stand out since the surrounding hairs wouldn't be visible, not even stubbles. Maybe even soften their appearance further by doing other laser / microneedling therapies. But that's probably wishful thinking since I've never seen it being suggested by others... I will have to build up the courage to shave first and see it for myself.

On 3/23/2023 at 10:48 AM, cheesy1986 said:

I am having very much the same thoughts as you, so can fully sympathise. I stupidly got a 4k graft hair transplant as a norwood 5 and am unhappy with my hairline and have a bald crown, with I don't think too many donor hairs left. I feel I look ridiculous and have been googling laser hair removal this week. I just wish I could turn back the clock to before the transplant, it's massively impacting my mental health too

Hang in there bud, we're going to find a way out this bad mental headspace somehow and learn something from this. Best wishes on your journey. If you find any interesting information please share it with us.

12 minutes ago, tatasabaya said:

Thanks man I appreciate it, I just saw your interview with Baldcafe and wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I was thinking that maybe if I shaved with a razor / had laser removal, my scars wouldn't stand out since the surrounding hairs wouldn't be visible, not even stubbles. Maybe even soften their appearance further by doing other laser / microneedling therapies. But that's probably wishful thinking since I've never seen it being suggested by others... I will have to build up the courage to shave first and see it for myself.

Hang in there bud, we're going to find a way out this bad mental headspace somehow and learn something from this. Best wishes on your journey. If you find any interesting information please share it with us.

Thanks mate. I'm really struggling if I'm honest. Would do anything to turn back the clock to pre transplant. I feel such a sense of sadness and shame, and I hate the way it has turned out. I looked fine before, now I'm stuck with a hideous nw1 hairline that doesn't suit my face, temples or the fact my crown is bald. What an idiot.

Best wishes to you as well mate.