permanent nerve damage, possible medical malpractice, seizures, illinois medical cannabis... all from horrible robotic fue expierence around a decade ago

Hello. This surgery I completely regret and I wouldn't offer it to my worst enemy. I believe I am a victim of medical malpractice from a robotic FUE experience around a decade ago. The "donor" area still haven't felt the same since and there was obvious damage being done. I remembering during the graft extraction I was having seizures and had to be restrained to "finish" the surgery. Whatever they kept injecting the back of my head with still didn't stop the horrible nerve pain and damage along with the involuntary reflexes. Due to this being a chronic condition, I received an Illinois medical cannabis card that will last me until 2025. Unfortunately, the prices are still very high in Illinois even with a medical cannabis card. I travel a lot to Michigan and explain to them my situation and receive much better prices. Even in Illinois, I still feel a sense of entitlement to free or little cost cannabis due to the doctor's negligence. If anyone here has any suggestions for ways to get lower prices in legal ways, let me know. I honestly would rather laser off the grafts, I really hate how my one and only hair transplant looks, I think I looked way better without it and I have to live with this nerve damage the rest of my life. Thanks!

-David Kyselica

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, davidkyselica said:

if anyone curious, it was the artas robot, stay away please don't be a victim

The problem with the ARTAS robot is that it's really meant for training doctors and the punches are too big leaving scarring for one. The punches are anything from 1mm-1.25mm. Most doctors today use them as a coffee stand. @davidkyselica I am so sorry for the situation that you have been left in. I wish you all the best if you attempt to go down the legal path. Ironically I tracked down by a fluke the surgeon who butchered me at 18 last week!!!!! He's still alive and has retired from working as a GP in a far North Country town here in Australia. Ironically he has returned here to Melbourne. The thought of confronting the guy with litigation passed through my mind but I'd rather put it all behind me. I'm still here and I have won. Sometimes it's better to lose a battle to win the war. All the best!

• Like 4

• Administrators

I’m having a hard time following this thread. You’re looking for cheaper marijuana due to nerve damage? I don’t think anyone here can help with that. There are prescription drugs that can probably be more effective than marijuana, and cheaper with insurance. Have you tried gabapentin? 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

I got some pitting scarring in the recipient area too. The recipient area where grafts were inserted that left pitted scarring still feels painful. This surgery has been a total disaster for my life and it was really hard to deal with it. Thanks for all the help guys.

• Sad 2

52 minutes ago, davidkyselica said:

I got some pitting scarring in the recipient area too. The recipient area where grafts were inserted that left pitted scarring still feels painful. This surgery has been a total disaster for my life and it was really hard to deal with it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Can you please describe the nerve damage what do you feel exactly? 

• Thanks 1

I almost went to use the artas too. it was advertised on our local news station. They were claiming how  all hair transplants will be perfect, because robots don’t make mistakes and tire out like humans.

We had a cosmetic doctor that was doing boob implants and facials. His clinic was so successful he went and out and bought an artas robot when it first came out, so he can transition into hairtransplants too as a side gig.. 

Went I went to their clinic for a consultation, he had one picture. And I asked him who would be doing my hair. And he pointed to his staff . A couple pretty 20-year old girls was going to be using the Artas on me. N they were charging $8.50 a graft.. 

I was like nah I’m good. I’m naive but I ain’t stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

• Moderators

At 10 years afterwards you are probably going to be well past the statute of limitations. Even if you weren't it's elective surgery, so for the most part, the outcome of the surgery is on you unless the Dr. REALLY screwed up such as cut off your finger which would have nothing to do with a hair transplant, then you will probably not get anywhere. Anything dealing with your scalp due to results of the HT would mostly be considered results of the standard risks of the HT.

I tried a lawsuit years ago after my procedures and got nowhere after about 9 years of the lawsuit. It was finally dropped because there wasn't any way to actually hold anyone accountable. This is one reason a lot of Drs try getting into HTs even when they have no training in it. They basically can't lose. They will get your money with no risk to themselves.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 2:25 AM, Dillpickle123 said:

Who was the doc

I am actually extremely unimpressed with the way I was treated by the clinic and the clinic's staff. I am still amazed to this day that I even agreed to anything. I am just too afraid of getting in trouble or escalating anything at this point...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davidkyselica said:

I am just too afraid of getting in trouble or escalating anything at this point...

I think at minimum you should do some free consults with some lawyers and see if you may have a case. You don't have anything to lose. 

And what the heck do you have to be afraid of? If the doctor legally wronged you, then you can legally get justice for it. 

After 10 years I also have to assume that this doctor doesn't even remember you at this point. 

• Like 1

Just now, HappyMan2021 said:

I think at minimum you should do some free consults with some lawyers and see if you may have a case. You don't have anything to lose. 

And what the heck do you have to be afraid of? If the doctor legally wronged you, then you can legally get justice for it. 

After 10 years I also have to assume that this doctor doesn't even remember you at this point. 

I been soul searching medical malpractice lawyers on Google for a long time now. Anyone feel free to private message me for advice or if you're a lawyer interested in helping me out. I might disclose the doctor's name publicly here because I don't remember signing any agreement not to.

Edited by davidkyselica
  • Sad 1

• 3 months later...

@davidkyselica I second the call for knowing the name of this doctor. There's nothing illegal stating a place of business that you have had services at. Please, who is the physician?

@Legend007 Humans make a lot of mistakes and when they make a robot, it makes a lot of mistakes because it was a mistake in the first place to make a robot. You can't fix mistakes with more mistakes.  

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella