5144 Grafts - Dr DAS (Eugenix) - Feb 20-23

G'day Gentlemen,

I have arrived home from my wonderful holiday to India and from my hair transplant at @Eugenix Hair Sciences @Eugenix Hair Science. It is time to update y'all on the story and progress. For those interested in the backstory, I've linked my initial post from last year below. 

I arrived in India on the 10th after a 15 hour flight to Dubai from Sydney, a 2.5 hour lay over and another 4 hour flight to Delhi. I was travelling with a buddy and we spent the next 10 days exploring an expanded version of Indias Golden Triangle, driving by road, taking in the main points of Delhi, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Agra, Jaipur and back to Delhi, as well as the places and attractions in between those cities. This isn't the place for a holiday blog so I won't go into that but if anyone wants any information on travelling to India and holidaying in India, sing out in a DM and ill answer whatever you want to know. I loved the experience and will certainly travel there again. 

I arrived in Gurugram, headquarters of Eugenix on the 19th and attended for a quick and easy pre op consult. There were some introductions, some paperwork, some medical observations taken (spO2, BP, allergies etc) and a little tour. I was in and out in about 40 mins. I returned to the Hilton hotel which is part of the package and relaxed, being advised I would be informed later in the evening about my start time for the following day. Point of note, The Double Tree Hilton was the best hotel I stayed in India, the quality of service, room, internet and food were amazing. And I stayed at the much more expensive and well known LALIT in Delhi (which I didn't think much of at all).

The following day I attended the clinic at the designated time and it was game on. Straight away it felt like everyone that had anything to do with me and my procedure were ready to rock and roll. Eugenix are a well oiled machine. Immediately I was greeted by a young female concierge who would one of my guides for the next few days. She was delightful to interact with (and pretty to boot) and informed me of what the plan was for the day. I changed into medical scrubs, had photos taken of my existing hair, then met Dr Das and we discussed outcomes and expectations. She quickly inspected my head and hair. She was quite taken back by the amount of growth I had from the 7 months of medical therapy (1mg fin daily, 5mg Oral Min daily, 1ml of homemade topical fin daily). She informed me that I had shown excellent response and that it may be possible to use 500 less grafts than originally quoted. She said she would make the most of that by retaining the integrity of the hairs of quality when she performs the slit so as not to damage their roots. She then re-assessed my donor closely and informed me that my donor was excellent, that I had more than enough scalp hair to preform the transplant (and some) without needing any body hair (from my beard). Then it was hairline and temple design (which was easy for me and her, as I had already done all the heavy work 18 months prior when I designed my SMP hairline). Dr Das gave really positive comments as to the design of the SMP and the quality of the work. This was nice as I did spend significant time in designing it and I used (and paid for) probably the best SMP company in Australia. The plan was to shadow the SMP hairline/temple design. I had already prepaid for the 5000 grafts (as there was a spike in foreign exchange rates between the AUD and the INR in the weeks prior so I made the best of that) and informed Dr. Das of that fact and said, I would much prefer that I got extra density than having money refunded so she had my permission to use as much as she wanted to or needed to to achieve the goals I had stated. She said ok but would make a decision once into the surgery. She marked up my head and then the boys shaved me down before taking another batch of photos.

I was then taken into theatre and prepped. I had mentally prepared myself for this next part....The anaesthetising....I have a decent tolerance for pain so I wasn't fretting but most people who had bothered to comment on the injections had made point of the pain involved. So I was expecting it. But, hats off to the nurse, it was 100% painless. They used a very small needle and a vibrator against the scalp and I honestly felt zero pain. There wasn't any real discomfort either. An insignificant prick and thats it. Soon enough my head was numb and Dr Das went to work. For the next 2 hours or so she made slits. I experienced a little bit of "oozing" which Dr Das made me aware of and said due to the fact I was having a rather large procedure and that I was booked into the hotel in Gurugram for a whole week (I planned for extra recovery days before flying home) and had days to play with, she said it would be best to call it day not create to much trauma early and just go easy. It was super easy sitting in the chair listening to tunes. I even fell asleep as one point and woke myself up by snoring. I left Eugenix after 3-3.5 hours total with 2022 slits made, mostly in the mid scalp. That night I slept totally fine as there wasn't that much to worry about.

Day two I attended the clinic at 9am and was quickly prepped for surgery just as I was the day prior and then placed back in the chair. Today they started with extractions and this is when I fully got to see how efficient the team are. The female nurses administer all anaesthetic, the senior tech does the actual extraction punches and the other techs pull follicles from the scalp, pass them to the magic table where they are counted, sorted and prepped for implantation. Everyone was wearing loupes. The extraction starts about 30 mins prior to the implantaton and then the implantation starts. This gives the implant crew a little lead time to prep the grafts and instal them without ever running out. Then its all go. The grafts are out of the body for almost no time at all and everyone is silent, concentrating and quick. I was amazed at the professionalism of it all. I could not feel a thing at all the entire time and I only found out just how many people were working on me in the room was when I took a couple of selfies. It was remarkable to behold. Dr was was overseeing everything and would periodically check on the work quality and status. At some point after lunch she took the reins again and made some further slits. At the end of day 2 I had 3440 slits total and 1522 grafts implanted. I left at 3pm and retuned to the hotel. All transportation is provided, I was ferried around in a new Mercedes SUV. Service and professionalism by everyone is top there. This night I slept pretty good. Im not a fussy sleeper but sitting up in bed with a throne of pillows and a travel pillow wasn't the most comfortable, but it wasn't terrible either. No complaints.

Day three was my big one. I attended the clinic early (8am) by driver in the Mercedes and again was met by my team and before long was back in the chair and the crew was hard at work. Today was to be my last day. The team again started with extractions and I settled into listening to music and scrolling through socials. Again it was completely pain free. I chatted with the team occasionally but mostly it was just them hard and work and me amusing myself online. The female concierge that has been my guide the whole time would often come and chat for a while before attending to other matters. I never felt alone or ignored. I was constantly asked if my pain was ok and if I needed anything. Nothing was too much. I should mention that the provided lunch I chose everyday was absolutely delicious. It was an Indian chicken thali (like an Indian version of a Japanese bento box). Today we sailed past the usual finish time of 3pm. Dr Das came in once they had finished my mid scalp and crown and inspected everything. She informed me that if I was happy with it, she would prefer to use the 5000 grafts I had paid for and proper dense coverage as my scalp was very healthy and my donor was more than able to provide it. I concurred. She made the necessary slits for my temples and my hairline. Then an older man entered and you could feel the atmosphere change, he commanded authority and was clearly some kind of senior person. Although I had seen him enter and leave my theatre a number of times in the previous days, clearly inspecting work, he had never stopped to work. This time he did. He then performed the cruicial extractions for the hairline and the temples and oversaw the team as they implanted these areas. He finished his work and left the room. I asked who he was and the crew told me he is the most senior person at Eugenix below the Drs and the longest serving employee. That made sense and was also reassuring that the crucial work was performed by the companies most senior person/tech. On the note of the techs, there is a clear pecking order that I observed. The new guys are nowhere near a theatre and their roles include the prep work done outside of the operation rooms (like photos and head shaves). In the op rooms, the less experiences guys are limited to purely observing and learning, and maybe being gofers first. Then they seem to sit at the sorting tables and count, sort and prep the extracted grafts. Then then next level up are hands on with extracting the punches, then up again for the implanters and finally, the most senior tech on the team is the punch operator. It felt clearly delineated and the skill levels were very high. Not once in three days did I see anyone miss a step. I asked a sorting table guy how long he had been working at Eugenix for and he told me three years. I asked him if today had been big or hard and he said "no, we work like this everyday". So the take away is that the techs are highly trained, have set roles and are extremely experienced in their set roles. I had and have no apprehensions as to their professionalism or their ability to deliver amazing results. 

At the completion of everything Dr. Das attended me and under loupes inspected everything. She said she would like to strengthen my hairline some more and add some more grafts to the mid scalp. She informed me that this would probably take me over my 5000 which I was fine with. She made a further 150ish slits. The senior tech again attended and made further extractions and the team implanted them. Dr Das then returned again and inspected the whole Jobe. She removed a single graft from what I assume was my hairline/temple area and re panted it elsewhere. I assume that was a multi hair graft not destined for that area. That is the quality control I experienced. I was then cleaned up, given a break and some food, had more photos taken and finalised with the payment/paperwork. I then gave permission for a media release and performed a filmed interview. I was on my way home by 5.30/6pm.

I returned the following 3 days via driver for an inspection and head wash. Everyone was super pleasant and welcoming. I defiantly didn't feel whatsoever that now I had completed my paid procedure I was an unwelcome burden or hassle. I also picked up 2 years of finasteride (as it's super cheap in India) and some hair suppliments.

Overall, my procedure was both unremarkable and amazing. Literally nothing went wrong, it all ran like clockwork. The entire team were as professional as anywhere in the western word and I would put their skills up against any western trained and or performing hair transplant personnel. My experience with Eugenix was simply top shelf and I would recommend them to anyone and everyone who asks.

GRAFT LOCATION STATS

Left Temple:  342

Right Temple: 298 

Hairline & Midscalp: 2704

Crown: 1800

TOTAL: 5144

GRAFT BREAKDOWN

Singles: 580

Double: 3934

Triples: 400

Quadruples: 230

TOTAL HAIRS: 10,568

GRAFT AVERAGE: 2.05

Photos will be posted soon. 

• Like 2

Nice write up mate and nice to meet you guys over there! 

When did you receive your breakdown of singles/doubles etc? Ive followed up for my break down and they just say it's coming soon, but it's been 2 weeks! Time flys!

1 hour ago, messda said:

Nice write up mate and nice to meet you guys over there! 

When did you receive your breakdown of singles/doubles etc? Ive followed up for my break down and they just say it's coming soon, but it's been 2 weeks! Time flys!

Hello, the graft count will be shared with you shortly. 
Possibly today or by tomorrow morning. 

• Valued Contributor

@foxtrotwanderer this is an excellent write up and I'm glad you got to see a bit of India while you were there. You definitely have a great donor and this is going to be a killer result. The SMP will also aid in the illusion of density. BTW did you go to Caitlin James or anyone else at SMPAustralia? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your updates!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@foxtrotwanderer this is an excellent write up and I'm glad you got to see a bit of India while you were there. You definitely have a great donor and this is going to be a killer result. The SMP will also aid in the illusion of density. BTW did you go to Caitlin James or anyone else at SMPAustralia? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your updates!

Thanks mate. I loved my holiday. I saw and experienced so much. It made the whole experience so much more. I’m so incredibly happy, 

yeah mate I did. SMPAustralia. I went to Ari in Sydney. Phenomenal work. I’ll go back there again once I know my HT mission/s is 100% complete and have the FUE scars covered up. Then I can run a buzz/face on the rear if I choose.  THANK YOU AGAIN for sharing your experiences with Eugenix, it played its part in me choosing them. I couldn’t be happier.

• Thanks 1

Wow this is an excellent work. Happy growing man. Going to Eugenix in two weeks and already stressed out. Hope mine goes as good as yours. Does india still require covid test or any forms to be filled out prior to arrival? Traveling from US

Thank you

Update: the redness is still quite present. The recipient area is getting back its sensation slowly. Still a fair bit numb and tingly. I do feel / experience weird popping sensations from the recipient area. Very small sensations like something is letting go. It’s weird. Maybe it’s the nerves coming back to life. I don’t know. It’s not painful at all or even distressing. Very mild and subtle. But definitely feel it. Over all i feel as though it’s improving, but it can still be a bit sensitive at times. 

** I have started the dreaded shed. 😩 I never ever noticed a shed during my actual balding. And I didn’t shed whatsoever when I commenced Fin or oral Min. But I check my hands after running them over my head and I’ve always got one or two little black hairs on them and I’ve noticed a couple tiny areas when it’s bald again on my scalp where there was once transplanted hairs so I guess I’m about to start the ugly duckling stage. It sucks as it already looks good and I’m stoked about that but I’m prepared for it to get worse before it gets better. 

The donor area is literally forgotten about. Completely back to normal. No pain left whatsoever. Under normal conditions it’s concealed nicely by native hair. 

im back to using my home made topical fin and Stemoxydine 1-1.5ml a day at night before bed. I alternate between a high quality moisturiser and pure aloe Vera gel in the mornings to help the skin heal. I wash with 2% keto shampoo EOD and a soft baby shampoo in between that. A little Conditioner each night, 

Other than that. It’s normal living again. Back at the gym. Back on the training bike. Taking the supplements from Eugenix daily. No sun exposure. Back to normal in all aspects. I guess it’s just the mind games now until month 4. 

would love to hear any feedback from the group or advice/info worth sharing. Cheers lads. See you guys next week at the week 4 / 1 month update 

On 3/9/2023 at 1:57 PM, Hou said:

Wow this is an excellent work. Happy growing man. Going to Eugenix in two weeks and already stressed out. Hope mine goes as good as yours. Does india still require covid test or any forms to be filled out prior to arrival? Traveling from US

Thank you

Heya mate! Cheers! Yeah the crew @eugenix did an amazing job. Now it’s just up to me (my body) to do its part and grow! 

mate don’t stress! As far as Eugenix goes, it’s smooth sailing from the get go. You just do what they say and literally everything is taken care of for you. 

Are you holidaying in India? Have you been before or are you an fairly experienced traveller? If you are and you are not, then you are about to have a huge culture shock. Hang onto your hah cause it’s about yo be blown off. But if you are getting picked up from the airport and just doing the procedure, you have nothing to worry about. You will be chaperoned like a movie star. India is like nowhere else on earth and don’t try and fall into the love it or hate it binary pigeon holes typically used. Just experience it for the amazing, chaotic, breathtaking place it is. My advice is to relax, avoid comparing things to your normal and just enjoy it. It’s completely safe and really fun. 

As for Covid, no. No need for vax or for a test prior to arrival. You may or may not be selected for a random test at Delhi airport but it’s nothing. It was very lax when I went through a month ago. 

keep us posted on your journey. Be great to see how you get on! 

FW

Congrats on the results so far - I just had my procedure done by Dr. Das and the staff. I’ll post my story as well soon. Can’t wait to see your final results.

Gotta say ; I thought I had a pretty wicked beard. Yours blows mine out the water , pretty jealous 😂