FUE and Strip combo?

The more and more I look at my progressive hairloss the more and more I think FUE is the way to go for me as i'm mainly looking to frame my face and pull of the buzz look without having the complete "bald shine" going on.

I did get to thinking however (not sure how feasable or how much sense this makes) about the possibility of doing a small strip procedure (one where I wouldn't have the entire scar going ear to ear but a smaller one that only goes half way around or something like that) if that makes any sense. The reasoning for this is two fold.

1. I can obtain more coverage then with just FUE, where I could potentially sport some different hairstlyes until i'm at the NW6-7 area (currently nearing NW5).

2. When I do have to buzz i'll have a visablbe (but a much smaller one ,and on that will be much easier I think to pass off as "accident" etc) and maybe won't scream HT patient..

Just curious if anyone has given this any thought (or actually done anything like this).

I can understand what you are saying that a shorter scar won't be as noticeable. I've seen guys with shorter scars buzzed down. However, I still assumed it was a transplant scar due to the exact placement in the donor area. Others might not assume this though. Even if they do I guess it isn't quite so in your face.

If you are concerned about "passing off the scar" then why get one at all. If you are a NW5 now then the amount of time you can pull off different hairstyles with a few hundred extra grafts (over FUE) will be limited to non-existent IMO. Then you will have to pass off the scar for many years if you intend to buzz down.

Just my opinion on first impression, others may disagree. Good luck whatever you decide.

You're talking about doing strip + FUE in the same "session", right? Dr. Mikelas (spelled wrong) of HDC Cyprus has done a good deal of combo work. I think Bisanga has, too, but not sure on him. I can't think of any other clinic that springs to mind, but I have a vague recollection that SMG has considered this, as well.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I've considered that same thing HTHELP, but ultimately decided against it. I believe that in theory undergoing small strip procedures and FUE is a good idea to maximize grafts while minimizing scarring, but I think it is too rife with potential problems.

Even a small strip (say 12cm x 1cm) can potentially stretch, "bubble", or just be noticeable if you buzz down to a #1 or #2. Why risk it for a few hundred more grafts? I'm in the exact same boat as you are when it comes to planning. I too believe that I will wind up at least a NW 6, and worry about donor thinning, not having enough grafts to be satisfied, and the limitations in styling that strip procedures force upon patients. That's why I'm leaning so heavily towards FUE, and would not want to jeopardize the opportunity to buzz down by having even a small strip scar. Also, I have seen that scars of any sort automatically pique the interests of people. I would rather just avoid the awkward conversation with someone if they ask how I got that "little" scar on the back of my head.

What I'm saying is this. You and I want FUE for similar reasons, and I think that undergoing any strip make those reasons null. I for one am already sick and tired of having to creatively style my hair before leaving the house. I hate that I need to check the right side, left side, back, top, and the front of my hair when I get ready. Undergoing ANY hair transplant for men with advanced balding would not diminish those same issues that upset me now. In fact, I think that I would have to be even more creative as I lose more hair because only an illuision of density would be restored. I would love to buzz my head down now, but I don't feel comfortable because I have thin hair right in the middle front of my hairline that looks noticeable when it's short. I figure that in a few years, I can get a few thousand grafts of FUE to the frontal 2/3rds, buzz down to a #2, and not have to worry so damn much. Anything that would jeopardize that plan, that freedom, is something that I will no do.

I have been looking for a patient that wants to maximize the donor, is a candidate for both strip and FUE, and has no aversion to a strip scar, but wants the max # of grafts they can get out of the donor. My main reason for this is instead of taking a huge donor strip, we could do a tension free closure say 1.25cm wide and get 3000-3500 grafts, then do 1500 FUE grafts to get a patient to 5000 grafts, without fear of donor stretching or pushing the envelope on the strip width.

It is such a great concept.

Anyway, I think TC is right--- if you do strip, the benefits of FUE are reduced--other than the difference in healing post-op. Strip is less costly, more proven and in the hands of top clinics, and is less of a risk.

I think FUE works best for those with minimal loss, say 3000 or less grafts---and after that, there are questions as to impact on the donor, overall yield, and cost. This is not to say a person cannot do 5-6K, but you just have to be careful.

I like the word choice TC used---freedom--- you can always opt to do strip, but starting with FUE gives you options. I like that.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

(Content removed)

I'm a hair transplant consultant since 2004 and I have been a patient few times, if you need assistance I'm here to help.

Consultant for HDC Clinic

Mail: escar@hdc.com.cy / Whatsapp: +34 644 728 567 / 

My case