BARBER OR HAIRDRESSER?

• Valued Contributor

With hopefully a bit more hair on my noggin in the months to come I may have more styling options. Last year I went to a hair dresser after my first procedure to have my hair colored and cut. But if I am able to get away with a shorter hair cut I was thinking that maybe I could go to a barber. My hair however needs coloring until all of it looks salt and pepper. So I was just curious to know who do people with a hair transplant/s prefer to go to? A barber or a hair dresser? Many thanks in advance!

I’m starting to get white hairs at 32. Haven’t dyed my hair yet, don’t know if I ever will, but I can see the appeal. I’ve been going to the same barber for the past 14 years, with an occasional trip to Great Clips when I’m out of town. Barber over hair dresser 100%. 

• Thanks 1

Barber. Pre-transplant, a cheap and cheerful barber who only used clippers (as there was not a use case for scissors given the lack of hair :) ). Now, a fancier barber who does a scissor cut and only uses clippers for the sides/back.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gatsby said:

With hopefully a bit more hair on my noggin in the months to come I may have more styling options. Last year I went to a hair dresser after my first procedure to have my hair colored and cut. But if I am able to get away with a shorter hair cut I was thinking that maybe I could go to a barber. My hair however needs coloring until all of it looks salt and pepper. So I was just curious to know who do people with a hair transplant/s prefer to go to? A barber or a hair dresser? Many thanks in advance!

to die the hair its best to go to a hair stylist if you do low tone for the salt and pepper look

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Neither, do it yourself. I found that I’ve learned my hair, the perfect length and exactly how to get to the shortest level without exposing scars. If you need some pointers let me know Adrian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I’ve always gone to a local barber. However, yesterday I decided to go to a hairdresser instead. I’m not saying all of them are great, but the one I went to gave me loads of tips on products, getting the most volume/thickness for my hair, etc. he recommended a product called Bed Head Small Talk by Tigi. You put it on while your hair is damp, them blow dry the hair and it thickens it up and gives it volume. I’ve got to say, it’s fantastic. I’m not quite rivalling Melvin’s volume, but it’s definitely improved my hair. 

Edited by Marko7t4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Neither, do it yourself. I found that I’ve learned my hair, the perfect length and exactly how to get to the shortest level without exposing scars. If you need some pointers let me know Adrian.

How do you practice though? Id imagine the first few times are pretty rough? I'd love to start cutting my own hair because no one knows how you like it better than you, but I feel like I'd mess it up the first few times and that would be rough to deal with. 

I like to go to a Turkish barber here in Ireland, the owner himself has had a transplant in his home country so he understands the importance of blending hair to avoid visible scars.  I haven't had a good experience with hair dressers really, though with that said they'll likely do a much better job at coloring hair.  I personally color at home if needed.

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Melvin I will have to hit you up on this for some tips! 👌🙏