Finding the right surgeon??

ChefP

Hi Everyone

So I'm looking at getting my first hair transplant I hope, if I'm an eligible candidate. I'm 42 based in Vancouver Canada. Think I'm a NW 5 or 6.

I've looked into many options and am currently taking topical finasteride/minoxidil solution. Been 1 month on this so far. 

I'm worried about costs and finding a decent surgeon. So far I've saved around $15,000 CAD. Scouring the forum for trusted surgeons and reading reviews the following have caught my attention as possible candidates:

DR Pradeep Sethi

Dr Luis Nader

Dr Munib Ahmed

Dr Bernardino Arocha

Any help on if with my budget it's possible to get this done and also which one of these is best options for me? I know most likely will need multiple transplants down the road. 

Appreciate all your help!! 

If you live in Vancouver I don't understand why you woudn't include H&W on your list of prospective surgeons. 

When you consider the cost of travel, hotel, etc. to see all the other surgeons on your list, H&W won't be as pricey as you think. 

Also think about the convenience and way reduced stress of going to a local surgeon. It is hard to put a price on that. 

Agreed with @HappyMan2021.

If you decide H&W isn't for you, then based on list you have, Ahmed is the best imo. I'm not as familiar with Nader and Arocha. Eugenix has too many poor cases (esp with respect to beard grafts) lately for me to recommend them, though they still manage to pull off miracles with some high-visibility patients.

Ahmed has fewer results, but those that are there are wonderful. He does everything himself, takes quality photos without obfuscating or intentionally using different angles. He also seems to maximize his graft count usage and has one of the best crown results I've seen on the forum, so he'd be my choice.

• Like 1

@HappyMan2021 I look at H&W and last time I checked I was getting prices from them in the $25k range. That seemed pretty crazy to me. As some of the clinics in Texas or near there, are a 4-5 hr flight away. Which costs less that $500 return. Plus hotel and procedure was way less than a half to a third they were charging. 

So it just seemed to expensive, especially considering if I would need multiple procedures. Maybe there prices have gone down since I don't know.

@Z-- Ahmed seems to be a front runner also.  Looking into Nader more as well. 

Eugenix I was afraid might be what your saying it was. I'm still researching and if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Regards

7 minutes ago, ChefP said:

@Z-- Ahmed seems to be a front runner also.  Looking into Nader more as well. 

Eugenix I was afraid might be what your saying it was. I'm still researching and if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Regards

Good stuff. You're definitely on the right track.

If your budget is 15,000 CAD (around 11K USD) and you are NW6, I'd say look into Pitella. I think he's roughly 3 euro per graft, so you can get nearly 4,000 grafts with him.

Zarev is 4 euro a graft, and he's a top three surgeon, imo, but wait time is quite long (booked until 2025)...

Hattingen are also very, very good and reasonably priced.

I'd definitely tread carefully; at a higher Norwood, you can't afford to waste grafts.

Edited by Z--

On 2/10/2023 at 11:52 PM, ChefP said:

@HappyMan2021 I look at H&W and last time I checked I was getting prices from them in the $25k range. That seemed pretty crazy to me. As some of the clinics in Texas or near there, are a 4-5 hr flight away. Which costs less that $500 return. Plus hotel and procedure was way less than a half to a third they were charging. 

So it just seemed to expensive, especially considering if I would need multiple procedures. Maybe there prices have gone down since I don't know.

How long would it take you to save another $10.000? 
Sometimes going to the best doctors is cheaper than trying to find something affordable.
Donor is finite and I think this is one of the major investments of our lives. I am driving an economic car so that I can save for a future HT with one of the Elite doctors.
That said, you have other good options and to add to Dr Zarev and Dr Pittela you also have Dr Ferreira or Dr Freitas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlesBarkley said:

How long would it take you to save another $10.000? 
Sometimes going to the best doctors is cheaper than trying to find something affordable.
Donor is finite and I think this is one of the major investments of our lives. I am driving an economic car so that I can save for a future HT with one of the Elite doctors.
That said, you have other good options and to add to Dr Zarev and Dr Pittela you also have Dr Ferreira or Dr Freitas.

Even though you have 0 rings, this is great advice brother

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Valued Contributor
On 2/11/2023 at 2:29 AM, ChefP said:

Hi Everyone

So I'm looking at getting my first hair transplant I hope, if I'm an eligible candidate. I'm 42 based in Vancouver Canada. Think I'm a NW 5 or 6.

I've looked into many options and am currently taking topical finasteride/minoxidil solution. Been 1 month on this so far. 

I'm worried about costs and finding a decent surgeon. So far I've saved around $15,000 CAD. Scouring the forum for trusted surgeons and reading reviews the following have caught my attention as possible candidates:

DR Pradeep Sethi

Dr Luis Nader

Dr Munib Ahmed

Dr Bernardino Arocha

Any help on if with my budget it's possible to get this done and also which one of these is best options for me? I know most likely will need multiple transplants down the road. 

Appreciate all your help!! 

Dr munib ahmad is a great choice....he does everything himself and his results are excellent..other surgeons u cn consider are zarev,pittela,eugnix,hattingen 

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

I would go with Nader. I'm not a patient of his, but if I could do it all over again, he would be one of my top choices. His work looks meticulous, he's involved in all aspects of the surgery, majority of documented results turned out great. Based on what others have said, he also stands by his work if the result turns out unsatisfactory. Not only that, he's significantly cheaper cost-wise compared to other elite surgeons.

• Like 2

@AlexMeister21I'm following up with him for sure. Was worried about people comments saying you get what you pay for but he does seem legit with his work.

@shiba1985 Is he? 

@mrmane85 Following up with him as well to see if I'm a candidate and can get a price.

Edited by ChefP

24 minutes ago, ChefP said:

@AlexMeister21I'm following up with him for sure. Was worried about people comments saying you get what you pay for but he does seem legit with his work.

He's cheaper since he's located in Mexico, but you could stay in Texas and his staff picks you up and takes you over the border. If you go to a doctor who's cheap like in Turkey or elsewhere where the clinic doesn't have many documented results from patients or it's a mixed bag of results, then you should worry in regards to price. In this case, I feel like Nader is a trustworthy surgeon based on all the good documented cases. Plus, in my experience, I went to one of the most expensive hair transplant doctors in the world and got poor results.

• Valued Contributor
22 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I would go with Nader. I'm not a patient of his, but if I could do it all over again, he would be one of my top choices. His work looks meticulous, he's involved in all aspects of the surgery, majority of documented results turned out great. Based on what others have said, he also stands by his work if the result turns out unsatisfactory. Not only that, he's significantly cheaper cost-wise compared to other elite surgeons.

Yeh he doing excellent work...seen many good results over here so i was keep on seeing more so checked out his website but he didn't put before after results over there..is there any other website of him whr is has posted his results thn kindly let me know..

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 hour ago, Archan said:

Yeh he doing excellent work...seen many good results over here so i was keep on seeing more so checked out his website but he didn't put before after results over there..is there any other website of him whr is has posted his results thn kindly let me know..

I'm not sure if he posts before and after photos anywhere, but I trust it more if there are documented reports on discussion forums like this where you can see  patient's results from start to end. So far, I've seen maybe 1-2 cases where the growth from a Nader patient wasn't satisfactory, but those patients were offered free touch-ups. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

If you live in Vancouver, H&W really are a no-brainer.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, ChefP said:

@Melvin- Moderator They really are that good? 

3000 grafts are coming in at $22,000 Cad that seems way over priced. Am I missing something here?

They’re easily one of the best clinics in the world. People fly from Australia to go there, you have them in your backyard. Makes no sense to go elsewhere when you have a top notch clinic so close.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Melvin- Moderatorduly noted. I'll contact them.

I have a question regarding FUE vs FUT. Which procedure would you recommend and or have had yourself? 

Thanks for the reply. Trying to make an informed decision as getting married next year and don't want to mess up my head lol

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hearing a lot about ethical amounts of grafts to harvest. What is everyone's thoughts on this? 

Some Dr's have said no more than 3000 in one session, like Dr Ahmed. Yet on H&W website it states they do upto 5000 in one session.

Any thoughts on this? As seems contradicting in the research atm.