Varying graft quotes from Dr’s…..

Hi lads! 
Still learning here but below are the expected graft amounts by each doctor I’ve spoken to.. all have said it would be a “conservative” hairline! Dr Ball seems very low… 

what do you think guys? 

Fuegenix - 2300

dr Ball - 1100

Dr Reddy - 1200-1500

Dr Bassinga - 1800-2000

Dr Ted Miln - 1800

C953382A-C08C-437C-BCB7-F8CB9C0D2E6E.jpeg

7946DA8D-62AC-4618-AA3A-DBFC2DDC75D8.jpeg

7879B5FA-FA74-4F16-9E2C-F6F345FBCE83.jpeg

136187C2-9BB6-48F3-A3C0-81FA4DFABD37.png

55 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

Depends on your hairline placement. 

Going off how your hair calibre appears, a design something like this will require at least 2500 to achieve satisfactory density. 

279A6564-415F-4369-A2E9-5DC261409F04.jpeg

No way would I go that low, mate. I’d look ridiculous when I’m 60!! Most are suggesting a half a cm lowering…. 

• Like 2

Otis,

honestly, it’s not surprising that you’ve gotten varying graft estimates from multiple surgeons. There is no exact science to determining exactly how many graphs a patient needs and it’s even more far removed if consuls are being done by video and not in person today a surgeon can give you a more accurate assessment of what they would do at their clinic by seeing you in person so they can actually come to your hair and look at your scalp under magnification.

But in addition to those variables, each surgeon has a unique philosophy and some feel that there’s no need to use more grafts when they can accomplish the same with less. Other surgeons prefer to use a larger number of follicular units if they feel it’s appropriate as in, there is enough available donor hair for future work as needed.  

So instead of worrying about the different number of graft estimates, the best course  of action is to select a surgeon that you are most impressed with by looking at a multitude of the results posted by patients and the clinic. If you’re impressed with the results, then you can trust their graft  estimates. It’s easier to do it that way then reverse.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

17 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Otis,

honestly, it’s not surprising that you’ve gotten varying graft estimates from multiple surgeons. There is no exact science to determining exactly how many graphs a patient needs and it’s even more far removed if consuls are being done by video and not in person today a surgeon can give you a more accurate assessment of what they would do at their clinic by seeing you in person so they can actually come to your hair and look at your scalp under magnification.

But in addition to those variables, each surgeon has a unique philosophy and some feel that there’s no need to use more grafts when they can accomplish the same with less. Other surgeons prefer to use a larger number of follicular units if they feel it’s appropriate as in, there is enough available donor hair for future work as needed.  

So instead of worrying about the different number of graft estimates, the best course  of action is to select a surgeon that you are most impressed with by looking at a multitude of the results posted by patients and the clinic. If you’re impressed with the results, then you can trust their graft  estimates. It’s easier to do it that way then reverse.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Such a tough decision! First you research to find who is good. Then you research to find who is great, and within your budget. Then you research who does the kind of work most suited to you…. Then you bang your head on the table!! 
seriously though, it seems if I go abroad, they do more dense hairlines, but in the UK they are more “conservative”…. 
Would Dr Ball’s estimate of 1100 would be way too low? 

• Administrators

Can you draw where you want your hairline? It would have to be enough to match your native density which is quite high.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you draw where you want your hairline? It would have to be enough to match your native density which is quite high.

Melvin, I’m hoping to be guided by the surgeon, to be honest. I really don’t know what the best thing to do is..
I’ve just received details from HDC, in Cyprus, who have suggested this….  2000-2500… 

BE357390-7B2F-4AC9-970C-3487E1C9E8B7.jpeg

0ACF10FD-0A34-46B6-9A0A-817A03B27E03.jpeg

Edited by Otis james

• Administrators

2,000 grafts sounds about right. That will also allow you to place grafts further back so that you won’t have any gaps as you lose more hair. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

2,000 grafts sounds about right. That will also allow you to place grafts further back so that you won’t have any gaps as you lose more hair. 

Care to speculate as to why Dr Ball has said 1100? To be honest, it was his assistant who said that… maybe he’d say more in a face to face consultation.? 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Otis james said:

Care to speculate as to why Dr Ball has said 1100? To be honest, it was his assistant who said that… maybe he’d say more in a face to face consultation.? 

They’re probably not going to dense-pack. It’s possible to lower it that much, but with 1,100 grafts the density will be low. You’ll probably want another procedure to add density. IMO better to get it dense-packed from the start and be done.

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

They’re probably not going to dense-pack. It’s possible to lower it that much, but with 1,100 grafts the density will be low. You’ll probably want another procedure to add density. IMO better to get it dense-packed from the start and be done.

So if it’s not dense packed, it would still look thin? If it was dense packed, wouldn’t it look unnatural as I age? Is that the compromise? Im sure this is transplant basics but I think im a few steps behind! 

5 hours ago, Otis james said:

So if it’s not dense packed, it would still look thin? If it was dense packed, wouldn’t it look unnatural as I age? Is that the compromise? Im sure this is transplant basics but I think im a few steps behind! 

It would look fine as you age mate. As I’m guessing you’ll be taking Finasteride, which would help maintain your natural hair anyway. I’d personally go with Dr Bisanga, as it’s not just the amount of grafts, but the skill of the surgeon that makes a great HT

14 hours ago, Otis james said:

My guess is that Dr ball intends to not lower the hairline much, but d st er strengthen it and make it more e dense. That sounds like a good solution to me. What you need is not a much lower hairline but rather the current one strengthened and made even. 

You could ask Dr ball, and be honest that the shave quot ed more. Dr's expect patients to get more than one quote.

23 hours ago, Xanadu said:

My guess is that Dr ball intends to not lower the hairline much, but d st er strengthen it and make it more e dense. That sounds like a good solution to me. What you need is not a much lower hairline but rather the current one strengthened and made even. 

You could ask Dr ball, and be honest that the shave quot ed more. Dr's expect patients to get more than one quote.

Yeah, I do wonder if these higher graft quotes might look a bit “too much”, if you know what I mean… I do feel like the foreign doctors, as impressive as they are, seem to do densities that look unnatural! Controversial view, I’m sure, but I was going through pics with my wife and she thought the really thick densely packed hair lines didn’t look very good! 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Otis james said:

Yeah, I do wonder if these higher graft quotes might look a bit “too much”, if you know what I mean… I do feel like the foreign doctors, as impressive as they are, seem to do densities that look unnatural! Controversial view, I’m sure, but I was going through pics with my wife and she thought the really thick densely packed hair lines didn’t look very good! 

I believe approach should nt be to achieve high density or low density ...there should be an approach to achieve appropriate density...Natural hairlines doesn't mean tht the density should be low ...thr cn be a balance approach ...

Imo density can be matched with the existing density of your hair and even natural appearance can be achieved by using single hair grafts properly so tht it looks natural....so tht thr wud be enough naturalness with appropriate density ...

As far as the quoted grafts its jst a guessing work by doctors at ths stage..bt imo if u wanna lower ur hairline u will need around 1700-1800 grafts to match the density of ur hair and evn to make it look natural ...and if u dnt wanna lower ur hairline thn u cn jst fill grafts im those gaps and bit of touch which would require around 1k grafts ....

As far as choosing doctor i would say if cost isn't a barrier thn fuegenix and bisanga cn be considered ...their hairline work is very natural in most of the cases 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

While the number of grafts listed by the different surgeons you've spoken to is helpful, it's important to keep in mind that that is just an estimate and may not be indicative of the final result of yours.

The final number will depend on several factors including the extent of hair loss, the your hair type and growth patterns, and the desired outcome; but based on the photographs you provided about 2000 grafts with conservative approach will be suitable for your case.

The best way to determine the number of grafts you may need is to schedule a consultation with a qualified and experienced hair transplant surgeon, who can examine your scalp, evaluate your hair loss, and discuss your goals and expectations.

Good luck on your journey!