Repair work... Is it possible to move the hairline back at all?

Got my HT done a few days ago with Gur (who is actually known to be more conservative with hairlines) but am having some buyer's regret that I didn't push for a bit more of a recessed/mature hairline. I don't anticipate this being my only HT in my life and I figure it's easier to move the hairline lower than higher. 

It's likely I'll be perfectly happy with my new hairline once I grow it out but to satisfy my curiosity, I was wondering if this was at all possible to move the hairline back without wasting the grafts by lasering them off or something. 

I vaguely remember someone had some poor work done who than had a repair with Mwamba and moved some grafts from temple to somewhere else. I just don't understand how this is feasible because it seems like it would leave FUE scars very visibly on the forehead. 

Edited by spiral

37 minutes ago, spiral said:

I vaguely remember someone had some poor work done who than had a repair with Mwamba and moved some grafts from temple to somewhere else. I just don't understand how this is feasible because it seems like it would leave FUE scars very visibly on the forehead. 

Not sure if you are referring to me, but I've had 2 repair procedures with Mwamba now. My hairline placement was fine, but my temple angles were really badly angled so he extracted them and reimplanted elsewhere. 

If you have a generous donor and can afford killing off the grafts and truly do just want raise your hairline, I think electrolysis/lasering is the best option. Your local bikini wax laser place could in theory do this, but it will probably look horrible because they wont know anything about hairline design. 

I recommend inquiring with Cooley. He is the only doctor I am aware of on here who uses electrolysis. 

That all being said, your surgery was only a few days ago. You should just relax for a couple months, for all you know you will love your new hairline. 

• Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

@spiral how old are you now? You may find that you like the hairline once it has grown in. It's normal to have buyer's remorse post op. You can have the hairline lifted over several sessions. However if later on you do have something done do not have a brow lift. It will leave a linear scar that you will live to regret. All the best.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, spiral said:

Got my HT done a few days ago with Gur (who is actually known to be more conservative with hairlines) but am having some buyer's regret that I didn't push for a bit more of a recessed/mature hairline. I don't anticipate this being my only HT in my life and I figure it's easier to move the hairline lower than higher. 

It's likely I'll be perfectly happy with my new hairline once I grow it out but to satisfy my curiosity, I was wondering if this was at all possible to move the hairline back without wasting the grafts by lasering them off or something. 

Maybe post some pictures to see what your situation is.

• Thanks 1

Check out my journey here:

• 1 month later...

It's something I've also been wondering after being given a lower hairline than I think I should have for my level of hair loss and age. 

I've seen Dr Ball do hairline raising on his old TV show 'the hair loss clinic'. Patient had grafts removed and put into a more suitable place. Unsure of the impact of scarring

• Moderators
14 hours ago, cheesy1986 said:

It's something I've also been wondering after being given a lower hairline than I think I should have for my level of hair loss and age. 

I've seen Dr Ball do hairline raising on his old TV show 'the hair loss clinic'. Patient had grafts removed and put into a more suitable place. Unsure of the impact of scarring

Is this the one you are thinking of?

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

One very good hairline repair that included a lot of graft removal was done on Davy by Dr Feriduni

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor
27 minutes ago, cheesy1986 said:

Yes that's the one. Be interesting to see how it turned out in terms of the final result and whether there was any visible scarring 

Dr Ball also did Kyle Christie's hairline repair. Think he removed around 1,500 grafts. JT has a YT video about it though the actual results video seems to have been taken down/missing. In any case it was just as good as Davy's results with Feriduni (which are absolutely fantastic!).

If you try and find pics or videos of Kyle, you can't see any scarring at all.

@spiral,

Technically, it is possible to move your hairline back. However, with every extraction, a scar will be left behind. Even if it’s minimal, it will be right in the hairline and as many foot units as are removed, that has many scars that we left behind. Some of them may be camouflaged by re-transplanting some of them to re-create the hairline but overall, it’s not going to look perfect because of the scarring.

And unfortunately, it’s not as simple as just removing some of the hairs because if it was, I might suggest something like laser hair removal for those hairs you don’t want, but removal of hair and hairline means having to re-create one that is natural. That’s more complex than simply removing unwanted hair in the current hairline.

I haven’t seen photos of your existing hairline and how low it is, but are you sure raising your hairline is really something you want to do? Is it because you don’t like the existing hairline and feel that it’s too low or are you afraid that you won’t have enough donor hair for future work?

Rather than attempting to raise your hairline, it might be better to simply refine it - especially if you want to do this simply because you don’t like the way it looks.  But by keeping the position of the hairline where it is currently, no hair removal is necessary.  This means that there won’t be any scarring in front of the hairline.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

11 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@spiral,

Technically, it is possible to move your hairline back. However, with every extraction, a scar will be left behind. Even if it’s minimal, it will be right in the hairline and as many foot units as are removed, that has many scars that we left behind. Some of them may be camouflaged by re-transplanting some of them to re-create the hairline but overall, it’s not going to look perfect because of the scarring.

And unfortunately, it’s not as simple as just removing some of the hairs because if it was, I might suggest something like laser hair removal for those hairs you don’t want, but removal of hair and hairline means having to re-create one that is natural. That’s more complex than simply removing unwanted hair in the current hairline.

I haven’t seen photos of your existing hairline and how low it is, but are you sure raising your hairline is really something you want to do? Is it because you don’t like the existing hairline and feel that it’s too low or are you afraid that you won’t have enough donor hair for future work?

Rather than attempting to raise your hairline, it might be better to simply refine it - especially if you want to do this simply because you don’t like the way it looks.  But by keeping the position of the hairline where it is currently, no hair removal is necessary.  This means that there won’t be any scarring in front of the hairline.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Not sure about the original poster but for my situation it's a couple of different factors. 

My concern is around the appropriateness of the hairline for my age and level of loss. I think the clinic went too hard and aggressive with the hairline. 4200 grafts in the frontal third and thickening mid scalp. I have an empty crown they're hoping to fill with a further 1500-2000 fus. I am concerned this will fully deplete my donor or lead to overharvest. 

I think also the shape of the hairline, is quite straight and I'd have ideally liked it a bit more recessed how i have been used to for the past 10 years. I tried to explain this but was told it would look good how they'd designed it. Kind of similar the video case doctor ball repaired above. I know it is a little more drastic having hairs removed but it is good to know there could be the possibility