Dr. Pekiner vs Dr. de Freitas for Hairline Restoration

Hey guys, 

Long time lurker here, finally posting to get some thoughts and opinions from everyone. 

For context, I'm a 32 year old caucasian male from Canada. I've been using topical minoxidil for the better part of the last 7 years, 1mg/day finasteride for 4 years, started microneedling with a dermapen once/week @ 1mm about 4 months ago, added 2.5mg oral minoxidil 2 months ago and incorporated 0.5mg dutasteride once/week (1mg fin the other 6 days) 1 month ago. For those interested, I've only been experiencing further loss for the last 8 months or so and likely experiencing a shed from the oral min and dut, as my hairline continues to look even thinner after incorporating the oral min. Growing up I always had dense, thick hair and began noticing some minor thinning in my hairline around 22 years old. While I have noticed thinning through my scalp, I have maintained decent density and coverage throughout, with my hairline being the most affected area. 

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I recently had online consultations with both Dr. Pekiner and Dr. de Freitas. 

Dr. Pekiner quoted me at "roughly 1500" grafts for a high density FUE procedure (55 grafts per cm2) and Dr. de Freitas quoting me at 2,100 grafts.

I'm not too concerned about the number of grafts quoted as I know this is subject to significant change after an in-person assessment and buzzing my hair. I am curious, however, what your guys' thoughts and opinions are on the choice of doctor considering my case. I believe both of these doctors to be of high-class and really just hoping on some insight to help me make my decision. Also may be worth noting I'm not looking to necessarily lower my hairline or alter it really, just fill in the thinned out areas.

I'm happy to provide any [important] additional information that I may have missed. 

Pictures attached below: 

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

Damn, you have fantastic hair characteristics. 

These two are actually the surgeons I've been looking at myself. I prefer Pekiner for the following reasons:

• Pekiner places the grafts more naturally as they aren't put in any sort of rows wheres Freitas implants in horisontal rows
  • Pekiner performs all surgical aspects of the procedure himself, whereas technicians will handle some parts with Freitas
  • Pekiner speaks English, Freitas speaks close to zero english

Freitas does, however, have a very extensive portfilio of good results. 

One thing that personally worries me with Pekiner is that there are some examples on this forum where he has stopped the surgery after beginning it because he found the donor caliber to be too poor. This clearly wouldn't be an issue for you, however.

• Administrators

I would quote you ZERO grafts. You have a FANTASTIC head of hair. There’s no surgeon on earth that could give you a better hairline than what you already have, which is amazing. 

Mature hairlines still look good when styled properly. Take a look at Chris Hemsworth. His hairline is almost identical to your hairline, but slightly more receded. He wears his hair in a clever way that conceals the corners and really looks good. I’d say your hair color is similar, except he does highlights, which give his hair a nice distinguished regal look. 

I would drop the hair style that goes all the way up, and instead adopt a side quiff. Consider adding some highlights, there are some shampoos you can buy for blondes that actually make blonde hair brighter, you can do this for the front to get that highlight look. 

image.jpeg

17A96361-1566-4D5F-8BEE-F42285A005D1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Face Palm 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Dude GTFOH lol you have stunning hair! Do nothing apart from staying on the med regime.
No way would you get anywhere enough similar or close enough density to blend in with your native hair. So might end up with a noticeable difference. You may just end up wishing you did nothing. Think seriously about this.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2023 at 8:05 PM, heirofthedawg said:

Hey guys, 

Long time lurker here, finally posting to get some thoughts and opinions from everyone. 

For context, I'm a 32 year old caucasian male from Canada. I've been using topical minoxidil for the better part of the last 7 years, 1mg/day finasteride for 4 years, started microneedling with a dermapen once/week @ 1mm about 4 months ago, added 2.5mg oral minoxidil 2 months ago and incorporated 0.5mg dutasteride once/week (1mg fin the other 6 days) 1 month ago. For those interested, I've only been experiencing further loss for the last 8 months or so and likely experiencing a shed from the oral min and dut, as my hairline continues to look even thinner after incorporating the oral min. Growing up I always had dense, thick hair and began noticing some minor thinning in my hairline around 22 years old. While I have noticed thinning through my scalp, I have maintained decent density and coverage throughout, with my hairline being the most affected area. 

Anyway, the reason I am posting is because I recently had online consultations with both Dr. Pekiner and Dr. de Freitas. 

Dr. Pekiner quoted me at "roughly 1500" grafts for a high density FUE procedure (55 grafts per cm2) and Dr. de Freitas quoting me at 2,100 grafts.

I'm not too concerned about the number of grafts quoted as I know this is subject to significant change after an in-person assessment and buzzing my hair. I am curious, however, what your guys' thoughts and opinions are on the choice of doctor considering my case. I believe both of these doctors to be of high-class and really just hoping on some insight to help me make my decision. Also may be worth noting I'm not looking to necessarily lower my hairline or alter it really, just fill in the thinned out areas.

I'm happy to provide any [important] additional information that I may have missed. 

Pictures attached below: 

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

I would prefer Pekiner instead of Freitas. Pekiner is top for creating high density and natural hairlines. He also does every step of the procedure by himself, while freitas does only the implantation with the implanter pen, and extraction is done by tech.

• 2 months later...

There is no surgeon alive that could guarantee a more aesthetic result that what you already have. 

As Melvin said, you simply have a hairstyle that doesn't emphasize your strengths. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone that has replied and I apologize for my absence since posting. The state of my hair, especially my hairline, has unfortunately worsened since posting, which isn't entirely a surprise. Of course my wishful thinking self would like to believe it's due to a shed from either or a combination of the oral min and dutasteride I've been taking for the last few months, but who knows. 

At this point, I think I'm going to book with Dr. Pekiner in January 2024 after I've been on both of these medications for 1 year. Part of me is tempted to book at the end of August this year, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

Hard to say without seeing your facial proportions whether you are being stupid in looking at a HT.  Sometimes, if the lower two thirds are really small, even your hairline can make the forehead appear large.

Personally, I really like Pekiner when it comes to hairline work.  The only downside to him is that he does allow some multies to creep into the hairline, which is not ideal.  But artistically, his hairlines, even without that defect, are very good.

Freitas is a good choice too though.

Check out my journey here:

• Valued Contributor

The definition of a successful hair transplant is one that appears like nothing was ever done in the first place. You have achieved this with meds (and I would give all of your meds at least a year). To undergo surgery, despite your age, would be a backward move compared to the fantastic full head of hair that you have now! No amount of artistic surgery could replace this. Especially with that soft, broken up hairline . 💯👌

11 hours ago, heirofthedawg said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone that has replied and I apologize for my absence since posting. The state of my hair, especially my hairline, has unfortunately worsened since posting, which isn't entirely a surprise. Of course my wishful thinking self would like to believe it's due to a shed from either or a combination of the oral min and dutasteride I've been taking for the last few months, but who knows. 

At this point, I think I'm going to book with Dr. Pekiner in January 2024 after I've been on both of these medications for 1 year. Part of me is tempted to book at the end of August this year, but we'll see. 

Can you post new photos? 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, heirofthedawg said:

Hey everyone,

Can you post pictures? It would be very surprising if it got worse in such a short period of time.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Attaching some updated photos. I have further thinned through the front of my hairline and temple regions. While I still have good coverage on the crown, the hair is definitely thinning there as well. Also, just for the record, this is not how I style my hair, just have it pulled up and back to more accurately show the problem areas. Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_8105.thumb.jpg.ba3029e6ab50596e15895605e2cefa07.jpg

IMG_8089.thumb.jpg.dac9955e6bb5ae8f893a4cc9a2be1cd6.jpgIMG_8103.thumb.jpg.25b2b9381e6a6c290f7841bd2446bb91.jpgIMG_8102.thumb.jpg.0db488fcaf503afe00767516e1ebe82c.jpgIMG_8101.thumb.jpg.6b82ea3220def9b0c299f562cdb969b8.jpgIMG_8100.thumb.jpg.2f6a3e94391df6c5f379d8e1e5d2c6c8.jpg

• Administrators

Actually, when I compare your photos, it looks like you have more vellus hairs now. I think your perception of it looking thinner is a result of seeing more vellus hair. 

January 

5CDC6DEB-3612-4F7D-B118-523B5DD642A7.jpeg

March 

08889AC6-7374-4A54-A9CF-CA7F08282DD7.jpeg

I have to say your hair looks freakin killer. Looks like meds are actually working for you. I wouldn’t recommend getting surgery.

View my thread

I think most here are going to agree with Melvin and say you don’t need to do anything… 

I do understand why this is bothering you though. You remind me of myself! The rest of your hair is good but you feel like you hairline is letting it down. 
If it bothers you and a good doctor has said he can help, then I think you should do what will make you happy. 
do you feel like your whole hairline has moved back at all? 
the one thing going in your favour is that you don’t seem to have a big forehead….. that helps I think. 

Edited by Otis james

It looks great, and like the meds are working. If the meds are working, it’s a great indication for surgical candidacy because you are safer from future loss.

However, you really need to look at yourself and ask what it is you want from surgery. Do you want to change the hairline shape? The position? Do you want to pull off certain styles? Surgery is a big commitment. How many centimetres above the glabella and the eyebrows does your hairline sit?

7 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

It looks great, and like the meds are working. If the meds are working, it’s a great indication for surgical candidacy because you are safer from future loss.

However, you really need to look at yourself and ask what it is you want from surgery. Do you want to change the hairline shape? The position? Do you want to pull off certain styles? Surgery is a big commitment. How many centimetres above the glabella and the eyebrows does your hairline sit?

Isn’t that height from eyebrows only relevant depending on the rest of your features? 

Jasmine Daze

10 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Actually, when I compare your photos, it looks like you have more vellus hairs now. I think your perception of it looking thinner is a result of seeing more vellus hair. 

January 

5CDC6DEB-3612-4F7D-B118-523B5DD642A7.jpeg

March 

08889AC6-7374-4A54-A9CF-CA7F08282DD7.jpeg

I have to say your hair looks freakin killer. Looks like meds are actually working for you. I wouldn’t recommend getting surgery.

Hey Melvin, 

Thanks for taking the time to do this, always appreciate your comments - especially the comparison to Chris Hemsworth hahah I wish ;)
I do see what you're saying. Always trying to decipher between some regrowth and further miniaturization. The pictures of my hair pulled back always give me hope of regrowth, yet when I look at my hairline in the mirror without it pulled back, it seems to look more and more see-through. 
I think at this point I need to give the oral minox and dut a good year and decide if I want to move forward with reinforcing the hairline with a transplant. In the mean time, likely to find a different haircut that better suits the current condition of my hair. 
Thank you again so much for taking the time to reply and your kind, encouraging words!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to weigh in. At this time, my goals with the procedure would be to just reinforce my current hair line and add density to it as its become quite see-through. While my crown seems to be slowly thinning, I'm hoping the meds will stabilize the loss and I can get away with just reinforcing the hairline.
I'll have to measure the distance between the glabella and hairline and get back to you on that.