Low DHT levels while on TRT

I got a blood test and my DHT level is 25. (Reference range is 30-85) DHT is 

I'm currently on TRT, taking 200mg/week so my testosterone levels are elevated.
Total test is 1393. (Reference range is 264-916) Yes, I know this doesn't qualify as TRT. 
Free testosterone is 33.4. (Reference range is 7.2-24)

All that's good. But it *should* elevate my DHT levels, too, right? I'm currently taking 1mg finasteride and 5mg oral minoxidil, each 3 times per week. Most would say this is a very low dosage of finasteride. I have no signs of unusual hair loss or anything like that. 

Interestingly, A few months ago I was on a steroid cycle, running more than double the testosterone and some deca. And my DHT was 50, middle of the reference range. So maybe I can cut my finasteride dosage in half. Like 0.5mg on MWF. 

Anyone else have low DHT? 

4 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I'm curious, are you taking steroids for a medical condition, or are you like a bodybuilder, etc.?

I'm taking it to gain size. I'll go on cycle again soon.

Do you want elevated DHT if you're taking Fin to prevent hairloss? If your dick is taking a vacation, then okay, but otherwise low DHT is really the point.

As far as your actual DHT numbers, they seem like they're rising and falling in tandem with the amount of testosterone you're using (higher on a cycle, lower on the cruise you've been on). 5AR inhibitors do their job very well, so it wouldn't be suprising for 3mg of Fin per week to significantly lower serum DHT levels.

Do you have any baseline DHT blood work, prior to using anything, for verification?

Last, throwing in other compounds that aromatize, like Deca, would also have a direct impact on your hormone numbers. Even non-aromatizing compounds, like oxandralone, for instance, could also have an impact through more convoluted mechanisms like androgen binding affinities and competition at the receptor site.

Basically, everything you're describing sounds like what should be happening under the circumstances.

You sound pretty confused,

You’re seemingly upset you have lower than range DHT, yet you’re taking a medication that is specifically used to reduce levels of DHT, I’m unsure as to what your goals are?

The reason finasteride works for hair loss is by its ability to block the enzyme that converts T -> DHT, so you can’t have your cake and eat it unfortunately, and will have to accept that reducing your DHT levels is a necessary evil to endure, should you wish to pursue the prevention of hair loss via this angle of attack. 

Just figure out what it is you want to prioritise - hair or serum DHT within range. Should it be the latter, the simple fix would be to drop finasteride and let your 1300 ng/l of T get busy converting. 

• Well Done 1

Finasteride is crushing your DHT - which is what it does. Even on TRT. It’s literally blocking the conversion of T to DHT via 5AR - it’s a 5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitor (Type 2) where Dutasteride blocks Type 1 and 2. So it’s doing the job it’s meant to do. Are you experiencing side effects? If not I wouldn’t be concerned. DHT is notoriously difficult to measure in the blood anyway since you’re seeing serum levels vs what’s active at the tissue / AR. Free Test and Bioavailable Test are better markers for Test alone aside from just Total T. 

What’s your Estradiol Sensitive look like? If you’re not having symptoms of such a low DHT level I wouldn’t worry but having your T so high is going to contribute to your hairloss regardless of DHT. Test / androgens alone can influence hair loss; DHT being the stronger culprit but androgens in general having an impact. 

3 hours ago, PizzaWolf said:

Do you want elevated DHT if you're taking Fin to prevent hairloss? If your dick is taking a vacation, then okay, but otherwise low DHT is really the point.

As far as your actual DHT numbers, they seem like they're rising and falling in tandem with the amount of testosterone you're using (higher on a cycle, lower on the cruise you've been on). 5AR inhibitors do their job very well, so it wouldn't be suprising for 3mg of Fin per week to significantly lower serum DHT levels.

Do you have any baseline DHT blood work, prior to using anything, for verification?

Last, throwing in other compounds that aromatize, like Deca, would also have a direct impact on your hormone numbers. Even non-aromatizing compounds, like oxandralone, for instance, could also have an impact through more convoluted mechanisms like androgen binding affinities and competition at the receptor site.

Basically, everything you're describing sounds like what should be happening under the circumstances.

Interesting that you mention oxandrolone. I was taking anavar as a pre-workout for a while, so that might be skewing my numbers too. Lately I've been experiencing things like libido is low and difficulty ejaculating. I did NOT have these issues when blasting. There could be many things to blame for that, but low DHT can contribute.

No, I don't have DHT numbers when I was natural.  Yes, DHT levels seem to be in tandem with my testosterone levels. I adapt my Arimidex dose on cruise or blast to manage estradiol, which is working. It seems I need to do the same with finasteride. Maybe half dose while cruising.

2 hours ago, Curious25 said:

You sound pretty confused,

You’re seemingly upset you have lower than range DHT, yet you’re taking a medication that is specifically used to reduce levels of DHT, I’m unsure as to what your goals are?

The reason finasteride works for hair loss is by its ability to block the enzyme that converts T -> DHT, so you can’t have your cake and eat it unfortunately, and will have to accept that reducing your DHT levels is a necessary evil to endure, should you wish to pursue the prevention of hair loss via this angle of attack. 

Just figure out what it is you want to prioritise - hair or serum DHT within range. Should it be the latter, the simple fix would be to drop finasteride and let your 1300 ng/l of T get busy converting. 

I'm not trying to protect my transplanted hair, which is already DHT resistant. Of course, I want to preserve my remaining native hair. 

My objective is to have DHT in range. You don't want to crush it. Finasteride blocks something like 70% of 5ar conversion. It's clear that finasteride is working. I can't imagine taking 1mg everyday! 

I hear you, though. It's a balancing act. Next week I'll bump my total test to over 3000! 

1 hour ago, sunsurfhair said:

Finasteride is crushing your DHT - which is what it does. Even on TRT. It’s literally blocking the conversion of T to DHT via 5AR - it’s a 5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitor (Type 2) where Dutasteride blocks Type 1 and 2. So it’s doing the job it’s meant to do. Are you experiencing side effects? If not I wouldn’t be concerned. DHT is notoriously difficult to measure in the blood anyway since you’re seeing serum levels vs what’s active at the tissue / AR. Free Test and Bioavailable Test are better markers for Test alone aside from just Total T. 

What’s your Estradiol Sensitive look like? If you’re not having symptoms of such a low DHT level I wouldn’t worry but having your T so high is going to contribute to your hairloss regardless of DHT. Test / androgens alone can influence hair loss; DHT being the stronger culprit but androgens in general having an impact. 

Yes, good point about in-tissue DHT versus serum levels. I didn't even think about that. 

The only side effects, if I can blame it on low DHT, is low libido and difficulty ejaculating (not as awesome as it sounds). I've started taking hCG, which may help with that. My estradiol is 26.4, which is perfectly in range (7.6-42.6). I can thank Arimidex for that. 

On blast, my free test was >50, not sure the exact number. My SHBG is low (15.9), which is a good sign of test bioavailability. 

Yeah, I'm watching my hair shedding. Nothing out of the ordinary so far. That may change soon as I'm going to try 4 weeks of Anadrol. haha

• Like 1