Perming transplanted hair??

Was thinking of getting a perm to add density to the front of my hairline, however, my friend advised me his friend who had a transplant a couple of years back had a perm recently and it damaged his transplanted hair meaning he lost quite a few of those hairs & it hasn’t grown back the same! is it safe to perm transplanted hair can anybody confirm? 

2 hours ago, Big Rome said:

it damaged his transplanted hair meaning he lost quite a few of those hairs & it hasn’t grown back the same! is it safe to perm transplanted hair can anybody confirm? 

I wonder if perming native hair can damage it?

If so, then hair transplants have nothing to do with this issue really. If something can damage native hair, then there is no reason it wouldn't have the same effect on transplant hair. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I would stay away from perming, it can damage your hair. I know the broccoli fringe hair cuts are popular now, but not worth it. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ray35 said:

I had to look up broccoli fringe... what an apt term for a hairstyle 😅

It’s also called the Gen Z perm

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Face Palm 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

What does it do to the hair? Damage wise? Curl it at the root?

The chemicals can damage the hair shafts. I’ve seen some cases where teens look like they’re thinning because the perm damaged their hair. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

View my thread

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to make a post about this, because I started perming my hair last year. I get bored easily and am always trying to switch things up, and my hair has always been super straight, soooo it's been a fun way to play with different looks. I view experimenting with different hairstyles the same way I view experimenting with different clothes. If you wanna try out new looks for yourself, I say go for it if you're a good candidate. ;) 

Of course, putting any chemical on our hair is technically going to "damage/compromise" it, but if done correctly, there's no reason we can't do all the things to transplanted hair that we do to native hair. Since my hair transplant, I've bleached it, had it chemically relaxed, permed it, curled it, etc. (all with Dr. Mohebi's blessing and approval)... And should any hair get damaged due to over-treating it, it just grows out and new, healthy hair will follow to take its place. (And again, if you're going to a professional who knows how to work within the confines of healthy treatment, proper chemicals, timing, etc., then there should be almost no risk of damage... And especially not permanent damage.)

And not to refute what others are saying about it damaging the hair shafts, but from my experience and having close friends who are very successful hair stylists, I really do think it comes down to how knowledgeable the stylist is, and I think it's extremely low risk when done correctly. 

Some may think it looks like broccoli, but I love it and get tons of compliments on it - and literally nobody knows it's not natural and are shocked when I tell them it's a perm (just like they're shocked when they find out I've had a hair transplant), sooo...  to each their own. Lol. :)

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Well Done 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2022 at 8:29 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

The chemicals can damage the hair shafts. I’ve seen some cases where teens look like they’re thinning because the perm damaged their hair. 

But wouldn’t it just be temporary? Even NAIR which literally dissolves hair for hair removal doesn’t cause permanent damage or affect the hair follicle. So even in a case where the grown hair gets damaged and breaks off.. shouldn’t it just grow back normally

Edited by Der3k7