Do I have a very weak donor area?

Ronnieman

Hey guys, was on low dose fin for a year but got sides...on topical now.

Am I in a bit of trouble when it comes to getting a transplant in future? Donor area looks very weak.

I guess I'll have to rub topical fin in my donor area regularly.

Would a donor area like this be rejected by an HT surgeon?

20221208_114454.thumb.jpg.ba8feb1a63d9f05a68230a6b53c4b961.jpg20221208_114522.thumb.jpg.d0fa496c43da5d689bc97bddeef3b3f3.jpg20221208_114534.thumb.jpg.6086562aad4a39894c06fd23891b2ab5.jpg20221208_114501.thumb.jpg.617642b44f755cbe2b274425f6425367.jpg

55 minutes ago, ray35 said:

I doubt it... I guess it'll depend on age ans general family pattern... looks like your head of hair is alright. But it doesn't look like a bad donor to me.

Thanks, yeah I think my hair texture is just thin which contributes to the weak look.

I just remembered that I'm also on the acne medication accutane now, which causes hair to thin a bit for the duration you're on it. That may be the cause of it.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It does appear a bit thin. Have you been examined in person? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Need better photos quality 

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

It does appear a but thin. Have you been examined in person? 

Nope, but I actually think it's come from this acne medication Accutane I'm taking. Temporarily thinner hair can be a side effect, and I don't remember it being like this 2 months ago before I was on it. 

I'll see the course out and then see what happens with the donor area.

6 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

Nope, but I actually think it's come from this acne medication Accutane I'm taking. Temporarily thinner hair can be a side effect, and I don't remember it being like this 2 months ago before I was on it. 

I'll see the course out and then see what happens with the donor area.

Yeah, if you're on accutane, I'd definitely wait until you're finished with that before jumping to any conclusions. I took it in high school, and it's notorious for wreaking a bit of havoc on our bodies for a bit while we're taking it. (But once it was over, I never had acne issues again - so you also have that to look forward to!) Hopefully the donor density increases once you're done with the medication. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

20 hours ago, Ronnieman said:

I just remembered that I'm also on the acne medication accutane now

Accutane is a surprisingly hardcore drug. No clue how it interacts with hairloss but you should definitely bring it up when you do consults. My senses tell me you should be off accutane a few weeks/months before surgery. 

How old are you btw? Most people on accutance are teenagers when they take it. I was 16 myself when I was on it lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Accutane is a surprisingly hardcore drug. No clue how it interacts with hairloss but you should definitely bring it up when you do consults. My senses tell me you should be off accutane a few weeks/months before surgery. 

How old are you btw? Most people on accutance are teenagers when they take it. I was 16 myself when I was on it lol

I'm 34 in January. I refused to take it for years, but bit the bullet recently as I was sick of acne on my back.

I'm actually not planning any HT or surgery at this stage, was just raising the issue of donor area if I need an HT in a few years.

Accutane is working well for the acne btw. I'm lucky to have no other sides- will up my dosage in a week.

Edited by Ronnieman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

It does look a bit sparse to me in certain areas, but it's hard to say if it's enough to mean that you're not a good candidate for a HT in the future. However, since you're on accutane, I don't think now is the best time to assess this if I'm being honest - particularly since thinning hair is listed as a potential side effect of taking it. If I were you, I'd wait until a few months after you stop taking the medication before I'd give this too much thought.

Congrats on getting the acne cleared up, btw! That's gotta be a huge relief. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

• Administrators

It looks thin, but I don’t see any hair loss on top. You mentioned being on accutane, have you spoken to your doctor about the medication potentially causing hair loss? It may be a side effect that goes away.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 1/14/2023 at 5:18 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

It looks thin, but I don’t see any hair loss on top. You mentioned being on accutane, have you spoken to your doctor about the medication potentially causing hair loss? It may be a side effect that goes away.

Topical fin is really working for me. Going on topical dut as well (it's in transit to me) so I can use more of the topical fin for my donor area. 

Yes I did speak to the dermatologist about it- they said it goes away after the course. But there's always the reddit case of the person who says it never recovered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 5:04 AM, Ronnieman said:

Topical fin is really working for me. Going on topical dut as well (it's in transit to me) so I can use more of the topical fin for my donor area. 

Yes I did speak to the dermatologist about it- they said it goes away after the course. But there's always the reddit case of the person who says it never recovered.

Never listen to the outlying reddit cases! Lol. ;) If the dermatologist says it will go away after the course, then I would choose to focus on that and not let your brain get taken over by the worst case scenario. I'd stay focused on getting your skin cleared up now, finish the medication, and give your body a few months to bounce back before jumping to any conclusions. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@Ronnieman yeh the donor area looks a bit scarce but i guess your hair on the top seems to be fine and dont see and form of greater baldness in near future ...so i dont see amy such baldness pattern so it may be the side effects of medicine ...still if you dnt recover well than you may consult a better physician..

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023