Am I being greedy 🤦‍♂️ appointment with Dr. Konior next year

OP, a hair transplant is an aesthetic choice when it comes down to it. If you personally think your situation can be improved visually and make you feel better, then absolutely go for it, but with your eyes open that you might very well be going for a 2nd procedure to end up matching your native hair density and then as long as the medication helps you maintain the hair, you'll probably never look back. 

This forum imo does as mentioned above tend to focus on age and having extensive hair loss as the reasons for getting a HT but i personally would say Norwood 3 or lower can happily go for them if they feel it will improve their confidence and visual look. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t say it’s greed but seems like insecurity.

you have PERFECT head of hair to not even think about HT (haha you shouldn’t even be on this forum… ).

I would just say, live life and don’t worry about it.

3 hours ago, Boomerang said:

I wouldn’t say it’s greed but seems like insecurity.

you have PERFECT head of hair to not even think about HT (haha you shouldn’t even be on this forum… ).

I would just say, live life and don’t worry about it.

Seems like? 😂 Well now that you’ve put it like that…

Of course it is. This entire forum is one of insecurity. Sadly but thankfully so it is one of the few places one can anonymously turn to. 

I wouldn’t be here if I had a perfect head of hair. But, honestly thank you. Insecurity it is most definitely. If I’m lucky I can figure out it’s not primarily based on hair loss, but that might be another forum even though the experience on these forums is far reaching. Indeed I’ve come to appreciate all responses and observations here. 

Edited by Jayson1361
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jayson1361 said:

Seems like? 😂 Well now that you’ve put it like that…

Of course it is. This entire forum is one of insecurity. Sadly but thankfully so it is one of the few places one can anonymously turn to. 

I wouldn’t be here if I had a perfect head of hair. But, honestly thank you. Insecurity it is most definitely. If I’m lucky I can figure out it’s not primarily based on hair loss, but that might be another forum even though the experience on these forums is far reaching. Indeed I’ve come to appreciate all responses and observations here. 

I meant everything I said in a positive and constructive way, I hope you saw it that way too. Yes we are insecure about hair (I am) but I meant in your case you have no reason to be, imo.

forum is great, great people and wonderful advice.

Just saying from my own perspective, with hair like yours I would have been pretty happy, but I guess everyone has their own definition of perfection.

I wish you well with whatever you decide!

4 hours ago, Boomerang said:

I meant everything I said in a positive and constructive way, I hope you saw it that way too. Yes we are insecure about hair (I am) but I meant in your case you have no reason to be, imo.

forum is great, great people and wonderful advice.

Just saying from my own perspective, with hair like yours I would have been pretty happy, but I guess everyone has their own definition of perfection.

I wish you well with whatever you decide!

I did. I keep telling myself I’m 50 be happy, well almost 50, but whose counting 😂.  I’ve looked at your case and your hair with your beard looks great. I would love to have that beard btw! It completes your look and aesthetics. Thank you for the read through also and your observation. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 5:37 PM, Gatsby said:

Every time you have surgery (even with the best of the best) you are taking a risk that something can go wrong. Even if nothing goes wrong, you are taking the risk that for some reason, you just may not like the results and wish you had never had surgery in the first place. I don't mean to sound dismissive but surgery can never replace mother nature in terms of naturalness. Surgery is always a last resort and medication a first resort. You have what I believe nearly everyone on the forum would state to be a full head of hair for a 49 year old guy. At 18 I would have been envious to have your hair now. Don't mess with it and stay on the meds. All the best!

100% agreed. I wish i had your hair/hairline at 21 years old.

Dude is 49 and has a better set of hair then majority of people in their late 20's and 30;s.

You were blessed with great hair genes and somehow escaped from the norwood repears grasp. 

Given your age, any additional hair would be making your look more unnatural IMO. You are mogging literally majority of people your age and majority of people younger then you. 

Keep your money and enjoy a nice vacation. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 8:15 AM, Jayson1361 said:

Well I certainly appreciate your upbeat message. However, I don’t think I’m NW1. Maybe with hair styled which is why I present these pictures. If you can style your hair and be happy….ish… let’s say 60-70% is it greedy to want to fix what has been broken? That’s why I chose styled pictures. I have others where my hair is over conditioned or has build up from crap products that honestly looks terrible I feel. 

Can you provide better photos of your hairline? Maybe un-styled and slicked back from the left/ middle/ and right sides? I'm genuinely asking because I barely see any recession and you are maybe a Norwood 1.5 from the photos you posted. 

I should of probably read the entire thread before posting but after reading everything I think the decision ultimately is in your hands. I think half of the people would not recommend surgery (b/c of risks of failure, Norwood 1 hairline wouldn't look age appropriate, not being happy with how the hairline would look, etc) and the other half would agree that you should get a hair transplant because of how great head of hair you have now at age 48/49. 

I guess it ultimately lies on your insecurity and your life goals and it's ultimately your decision. 25k is a lot of money and given your age that money invested during a bear market now could help you retire early by a few years. If you're single and looking for a confidence boost at this age then why not. Women love men with more hair up top. 

Assuming the surgery would cost you 25k, invested into the the stock market it could turn into 64k. You also invest that at the market bottom/correction (if the market crashes in 2023) that 25k could be 250k.

Ultimately people can give you their opinions based on their own experiences and insecurities and stories. But it's up to you. I would factor in your life goals, insecurities, family, wife, single etc. and make a decision from their. 

OP, i genuinely want to help you make a decision but that decision and which is the correct is up to you. I just want to give you some of my thoughts and potential options you could do with your life/money to help you make the best decision. Good luck OP. 

image.png.2e38689806d9e65889bc6eff2ef79a79.png

• Like 1

@Jayson1361 as long as you have the money to burn on surgery, I see no issue with going forward, especially if you are going with an elite doctor like Dr. K. 

In most cases, doing minimial surgery work on NW1's and NW 1.5's is foolish, because the risk of something going wrong (and needing multiple surgeries to correct) outweights the minimal reward. 

But you are only looking at Dr. K and other comparable docs, I think the minimal reward is worth the miniscule risk, as its very very unlikely Dr. K would leave you worse than you walked in. 

This situation is like if a woman with very attractive natural C-sized breasts wanted to get her breasts enlarged to D-sized. 

As long as the woman has the money for it and goes to an elite doctor, who is society to judge?

I would want to give oral minoxidil a full year and add a consistent microneedling routine. That alone could make a huge difference given your great baseline. 

Your proactive treatment and minimal loss gives you the luxury of time which many here don’t have. Over the next few years you could try minoxidil, microneedling, Breezula, etc. and then reevaluate after seeing the full results.

Is this your first time using minoxidil?

21 minutes ago, Judelaw said:

I would want to give oral minoxidil a full year and add a consistent microneedling routine. That alone could make a huge difference given your great baseline. 

Your proactive treatment and minimal loss gives you the luxury of time which many here don’t have. Over the next few years you could try minoxidil, microneedling, Breezula, etc. and then reevaluate after seeing the full results.

Is this your first time using minoxidil?

Yes my first time. Started October 14th and now here we are at Christmas. I suppose ultimately the 5AR Avodart treatment and duration and possible degradation in effectiveness is what concerns me. Truth be told after going through a divorce I decided to try TRT. I believe it escalated what I may have been slowing down or inhibiting when it comes to hair loss. But, I just don’t know. I stopped it, even though the benefits to the body and libido were quite amazing but were probably too over powering for Avodart. The first year on TRT was rather amazing,  but slowly it seemed hair loss returned on some level. However, aging and hair loss is rather insidious and difficult to gauge unless it’s aggressive. Regardless, I stopped due to perceived loss even though the benefit to the body and libido were amazing. My body and libido literally returned to that of early 20s, but was coupled with visual negative psychological reinforcement of what I perceived to be a receding hairline. That’s my opinion anyway. When I went to a few doctors most said get out of here consider yourself lucky.

Dr Konior, who seems to have a rather detailed eye for things, and has a very pleasant persona and matter of fact approach to things…stated what I previous mentioned at the start of my thread. So, I started oral minoxidil within almost a month of my consultation with Dr K. I asked his advice and he stated that oral minoxidil is something that he believes will offer a much better opportunity for positive results in treating hairloss. I’m assuming especially if it’s taken with a 5AR like Avodart given everything I’ve read about Avodart, as he described that as a “holy grail” given current medical science, in treating hairloss. 

So yes, it’s my first time using minoxidil with any consistency. The only solace I take at the moment is being able to style and then dry my hair to something I find intermittently tolerable. I hate hair loss as we all do so I tell myself I’m almost 50, I look appropriate, I look for self acceptance, I strive for heightened empathy and understanding of those, I look for recognizing the importance of moments in real time and not after the fact…I look to live my life in the moment and in the future with the understanding that most people are as empathetic in interpersonal moments and relationships as I try to be in hopes the world gives back to me what I try to put out. But, I find that these philosophies are age related or more realistically related to one’s upbringing. Funny enough though, as I type this, looking back in my comments, if anyone even cared to ask…. I think they might require more explanation to about 60% of the people that read this, but not people suffering from a change in self perception or self acceptance.