Am I being greedy 🤦‍♂️ appointment with Dr. Konior next year

Definitely a long time lurker here on these forums. I have a high level of empathy and have provided positive feedback and real feedback starting recently after watching from a distance many people’s stories. 

I have an appointment with Dr. Konior next year and was told by him that he can restore/adjust my hairline which I feel and can see has receded. I’ve always had a V shaped hairline but with relative density that was just fine. I’ve styled my hair this way for quite some time. I felt particularly bad today and came home from work, styled my hair as usual with the typical hair wax and wanted to post part of my story. 

Dr. K said he likes the way my hair looks and he wouldn’t do anything at all, at least for a while. I take .5mg Avodart for 15 years and 2.5mg oral minoxidil EOD for almost 2 months. I do see recession starting over the past year I feel which prompted my consult with Dr. K. He told me that if I was in a room with 100 other patients of his that I had more hair than 99% of them. 

My question is am I being greedy? I feel that some days I look good feel good and other days I hate my progression. Obviously, it’s an emotional up and down. I’m 48 soon to be 49 in 6 months and to be honest holding onto hair into and approaching my 50s I feel fortunate but want to maintain my look and feeling of esteem and confidence. I suppose I’m looking for guidance or really feedback. I’ve posted pictures of my hair styled. Reason being you only feel as good as you can get your hair to look on any given day even with perceived thinning or recession or balding. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

58056306-00E6-4760-B332-FA8EC94105A1.jpeg

8AACF72C-89F0-4846-AC3F-43F851295805.jpeg

4EC70ADA-57B3-4D6B-BB22-FAF98198B7FE.jpeg

2F6667D9-8A55-4A60-B9A6-D69746D2B10C.jpeg

1ABBCD08-C578-410E-BFD8-55C46AFA93BF.jpeg

Edited by Jayson1361

3 hours ago, rob7331 said:

While recognizing any hair loss at all can weigh on us, as an outsider your hair looks absolutely incredible and under no circumstance would I advise you to pursue surgery at this moment.

I certainly appreciate positive feedback. Let it be said I didn’t post looking for affirmations of thinking I’m not a candidate… even though it’s appreciated. Sincerely. 

This leads to another question… should someone look for hair restoration via surgery based on how they can style there hair vs what it looks like wet? If I wash and dry my hair with let’s say, Nioxin or say a thickening shampoo most people would tell me to F off with your hair loss! Even I think that sometimes but my dried hair is curly and wavy and any thinning is easily concealed. But if I want a decent look, a controlled look things start to change. Regardless, thinning is evident at the hairline and even some minor thinning on top. Sometimes I don’t know because it seems similar to when I was 25 at least on top, but not the hairline. 

i know this community reserves responses and feedback for those afflicted perhaps more so than myself, but the feeling, that look in the eyes, the emotion is there regardless of age or extent of loss. It seems like minor loss or whatever gets the response of…dude chill you look fine…vs wow man you’re chemo patient. 

But minor loss progresses does it not? Is it less likely for people approaching 50 vs 60 vs 30 or 40? I seriously don’t know I only know what I see and read. This is all to say I appreciate your response but I’m seriously in question about proceeding. Do I wait for extensive loss if that’s the case? Or do it within a year from now? I do see small miniaturized hairs in my hairline. Resolution on iPhones may not be good enough to show that. 

Edited by Jayson1361

• Valued Contributor

Every time you have surgery (even with the best of the best) you are taking a risk that something can go wrong. Even if nothing goes wrong, you are taking the risk that for some reason, you just may not like the results and wish you had never had surgery in the first place. I don't mean to sound dismissive but surgery can never replace mother nature in terms of naturalness. Surgery is always a last resort and medication a first resort. You have what I believe nearly everyone on the forum would state to be a full head of hair for a 49 year old guy. At 18 I would have been envious to have your hair now. Don't mess with it and stay on the meds. All the best!

• Like 4

I want to say that I will have to take a different viewpoint. Your hair looks great, but you obviously have some problems with its current state and are worried about further progression--worried enough that you post on this Forum. The notion that this is hair greed is ridiculous--all of us suffer from it to some degree. My take is that you should keep your appointment with Dr. K. tell him what you want--what concerns you. He is a hair magician that can solve hair greed. Yes surgery has risks--as Gatsby points out--but Konior is the GOAT. I would trust him to not screw up. We can all be envious of your great hair--but in the end it is you that needs to be happy! Konior is the right Dr. to steer you. Medication is a good first option, but surgery with Konior is worth it IMHO if he thinks he can achieve your goals. You only go around once as they say.

• Like 1

I agree with @Mountinvan

If it's really bothering you then have an in-person consultation with Dr K and discuss your thoughts and listen to what he has to say. 

Dr K is IMO the best in the business, so he will be able to let you know what is and isn't possible and what can be achieved. 

You can then decide from there. 

3 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

I agree with Dr. K. You’re chasing a problem that doesn’t exist. Even if you lowered your hairline, nobody but yourself would see the difference- probably not even your barber.

He mentioned that. I think in the end that’s essentially what it’s about. 

2 hours ago, rob7331 said:

While recognizing any hair loss at all can weigh on us, as an outsider your hair looks absolutely incredible and under no circumstance would I advise you to pursue surgery at this moment.

I can appreciate that and I thank you for your compliment. Sometimes I think I’m chasing 5 years ago, but then I think that 5 years ago I didn’t look incredibly different, but then I see some thinning about 1 centimeter behind my hairline. Is it age related thinning, FGF5 related, DHT related… I don’t know. Then I think if I have the money why not see the GOAT as they say… but then I think what if progression continues. Then I hesitate,  healthy hair in front of dying hair… do I want a microscopic inspection of my scalp, do I want to put in my mind what science tells me is possible or final or probable? Or should I continue on, with hope, with life with the power of mind not polluted with the finality of science or with the probable/possible finality of science? Does the mind have power enough to move forward with that information steering me towards some Norwood level I don’t want to be,  and yet fight it with habit, and behavior, thought and energy? Am I condemned due to genetics or rather condemned with that and the information I feed my mind? If I see a doctor that examines my hair microscopically and tells me I’m going to be bald, if I examine myself as close as I can every day am I feeding into this self/science diagnosed inevitably? Laughably, but not I think too much which goes hand in hand with hair loss. 

2 hours ago, Pbaird98 said:

I have to also echo the above comments, you have amazing hair for any age! Don’t touch a single hair on that lovely head! 

Mmmm yeah, maybe. I do see progression, MPB or age related.  Wax hair styling does well but even without that…dry hair…. and unkept… there’s a lot there but I still can see some miniaturization over time. 

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Every time you have surgery (even with the best of the best) you are taking a risk that something can go wrong. Even if nothing goes wrong, you are taking the risk that for some reason, you just may not like the results and wish you had never had surgery in the first place. I don't mean to sound dismissive but surgery can never replace mother nature in terms of naturalness. Surgery is always a last resort and medication a first resort. You have what I believe nearly everyone on the forum would state to be a full head of hair for a 49 year old guy. At 18 I would have been envious to have your hair now. Don't mess with it and stay on the meds. All the best!

You…my man.. are an inspiration. No lie. Looking at your story, into your pictures, your humanity… you my friend are the guy, the man on these forums here. A true inspiration. I honestly feel if I had your mindset I’d live a significantly more inspired life. I love reading your posts! 

2 hours ago, BaldV said:

Check yourself for body dysmorphia please 

How does a person do that? I see a therapist for life/age related problems and certainly your statement has not gone unconsidered. How do you check that? What are the baselines for distortion of mind and body and self perception? This statement above all these responses I struggle with. 

14 hours ago, Mountinvan said:

I want to say that I will have to take a different viewpoint. Your hair looks great, but you obviously have some problems with its current state and are worried about further progression--worried enough that you post on this Forum. The notion that this is hair greed is ridiculous--all of us suffer from it to some degree. My take is that you should keep your appointment with Dr. K. tell him what you want--what concerns you. He is a hair magician that can solve hair greed. Yes surgery has risks--as Gatsby points out--but Konior is the GOAT. I would trust him to not screw up. We can all be envious of your great hair--but in the end it is you that needs to be happy! Konior is the right Dr. to steer you. Medication is a good first option, but surgery with Konior is worth it IMHO if he thinks he can achieve your goals. You only go around once as they say.

Such a fair statement. We have only once.  I researched and read, Dr. K is the GOAT. It is about your mindset. What I see is what I see. The camera absent high resolution only captures what it can. I do have some miniature hairs on the hairline indicating that perhaps  this is age related thinning or MPB is taking place. I can’t condemn myself to the exact science of microscopic examination of my scalp for some reason, which sits juxtaposed to taking medications for hairloss. I want to know the extent of any miniaturization, has medication delayed an inevitability… but my mind doesn’t want this final or unpredictable information, as if some how my energy of habit might have some power over the outcome without this informational influence.  Naïve? Probably. Sadly but maybe not…I don’t know. 

Edited by Jayson1361

2 hours ago, mrmane85 said:

I agree with @Mountinvan

If it's really bothering you then have an in-person consultation with Dr K and discuss your thoughts and listen to what he has to say. 

Dr K is IMO the best in the business, so he will be able to let you know what is and isn't possible and what can be achieved. 

You can then decide from there. 

I have had an in person consultation. He stated he could lower the hairline and on a minor level fill in other areas to give me time if there is further progression. He also stated he’d bet the bank I’m not going to be bald or lose much more hair, which led me to a post on another forum titled how good are hairloss drugs really. I can’t debate the guy, he’s seen more than I have, but who knows. My mothers dad had hair with some recession at the hairline. My dad was way beyond me at my age. All my brothers have very good hair save my older brother who has some recession at the hair line but looks fine otherwise. Moms brothers have great hair. 

Regardless, seeing Dr. K’s work…man it’s hard not to want to proceed with HT on some level. Even just to fill in where there is miniaturization or recession or whatever. Donor management, finesse of placement, whatever…. His work mostly looks great for natural results. I’m definitely perplexed right now. Maybe over the next year it’ll get way worse maybe it won’t. One thing I can say I will update these forums for others. 

Edited by Jayson1361

2 hours ago, SilentUser said:

I would kill for your hair. For a guy in his late 40's that is insanely good hair.

I do appreciate your comment. I think that getting on Avodart non generic has helped.  Oddly, it seems, explained by a doctor that hormonal aging with hair and possibly other aging, skin and such is slowed down visibly due to this type of drug. Obviously, joint health, cellular regeneration and such, muscular deterioration..etc may not be effected. But, secondary sexual traits…body hair and such are impacted by these drugs. 

2 hours ago, WideOpen said:

You have a full head of hair that most people (including me), would die for. 

This thought, this statement is what heightens my empathy. Strangely enough given the BS level of social media and what is seemingly a heightened awareness of people’s online presence and now physical presence based on instant comparison between real life and online presence I’ve decided to consciously stop judging people…ever! I hate it even. I stop now, in real time, look at someone in their eyes, consider the moments they went through, that I can imagine, before we got to the point where I’m observing them… and then react based on my empathy and their personality, statements and charisma in real time, in the here and now…. Regardless of hair, clothes, money, status…whatever…. etc. I strive very hard to conduct myself this way and could only hope others do to. So much of life has nothing to do with hair or any of the other things mentioned, but sadly here I am🤦‍♂️. However, dealing with this,  despite responses here and pictures posted…despite any of this, it’s where I put my mind. Compassion and understanding has brought me to a state where all moments with people have nothing to do with the way they look or their status,  and I can only hope that others treat me the same. Here I am on my pulpit, but I mean it. Anyone that knows me could say that. So I say, to die for? Yeah I get it, but not, but I do. 

Edited by Jayson1361

4 hours ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Hair looks great :) dutasteride can really work wonders.

Makes me consider hopping off Fin and trying it 

See that’s kinda my question as well… 

Lets say I was supposed to be like my dad. Here he was at my age but also was basically bald on his crown as well. Let’s say I was supposed to be like that approaching 50. Can dutasteride really delay that level of balding? Honestly, I’m doubting it. I know it helps delays, regrows, thickens…etc but can it delay or keep someone from advancing to that level for…I don’t know…20+ years for example? 

This was a topic I posted in another forum basically, titled how good are hairloss drugs really? 

1FFA6CAF-654A-4E96-908A-FD5BC0C0C2D9.jpeg

If your hair looks like that at 48 and without ever having taken meds, congratulations, you are never going to lose your hair. 

If you are seriously considering an operation, the risks extremely outweigh any potential benefits, any ethical surgeon would tell you that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StillAlive said:

If your hair looks like that at 48 and without ever having taken meds, congratulations, you are never going to lose your hair. 

If you are seriously considering an operation, the risks extremely outweigh any potential benefits, any ethical surgeon would tell you that. 

I do take meds. Avodart for 15 years and oral Min now.  Hate it but I do. 

Plus I do have pictures with wet hair depicting thinning in the front. I certainly didn’t just walk into a surgeons office without actual thinning or miniaturization. 

Edited by Jayson1361

Well, that was your choice. Still, they have apparently worked very well for you and you have maintained a NW1 full head of hair that some people pay tens of thousands of dollars to acquire surgically -and never do. I recommend going out there and enjoying life and that hair. It will honestly not get any better :D