Temple Point Restoration - when is it wise to do?

Hello,

I'm 26 years old, and have always had naturally receded temple points (which quite bothers me). Am currently considering bringing them in slightly (about 150 grafts each side) as part of a transplant.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with getting their temple points brought in, and then dealing with further recession? I assume that this would leave an "island" of temple point and would look slightly odd?

If the hair on top recedes after a transplant, you can at least cover it with a combover or with Toppik, but that's simply not possible with temple points. But the counterpoint to that is - assuming you're not going past NW3/4, you could probably spare a small number of grafts to "top up" your temple points if they recede further. 

Just wondering if anyone out there had any advice or knows of any past cases where this has happened? (e.g. someone brought in their temple points and did / did not regret it).

• Like 2

@Calihome1 Have added a picture. To my knowledge this has been my hairline since I was a teenager.

From browsing the forum, I gather that the main risk of doing something like this too young is that any recession behind the transplanted area could look weird. But I assume (1) I could grow out the sides to cover any such recession temporarily, and (2) I could just go back and get a really small procedure to top that off if it happens? 

My thinking is that it's a small amount of grafts overall, and it could really have a big impact if it goes well (in terms of framing my face). (And no one in my family is above a NW4 or so).

Example.thumb.jpg.75dc0c766aeecb5f23c9472eefcff65b.jpg

• Administrators

You would definitely benefit from restoring your temple points. But you need to devise a master plan to ensure you save grafts for future hair loss. 

That said, temples do change your facial frame. FDF73250-4616-4B15-85AE-21219816C18A.jpeg

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You would definitely benefit from restoring your temple points. But you need to devise a master plan to ensure you save grafts for future hair loss. 

That said, temples do change your facial frame. FDF73250-4616-4B15-85AE-21219816C18A.jpeg

Man your donor looks so good! What length did you cut your hair on the side? Did you have a very high density donor to start with?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, JP28 said:

Man your donor looks so good! What length did you cut your hair on the side? Did you have a very high density donor to start with?

I go no guard at the bottom and fade into a #2 at the top. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, Apostrophe1234 said:

@Calihome1 Have added a picture. To my knowledge this has been my hairline since I was a teenager.

From browsing the forum, I gather that the main risk of doing something like this too young is that any recession behind the transplanted area could look weird. But I assume (1) I could grow out the sides to cover any such recession temporarily, and (2) I could just go back and get a really small procedure to top that off if it happens? 

My thinking is that it's a small amount of grafts overall, and it could really have a big impact if it goes well (in terms of framing my face). (And no one in my family is above a NW4 or so).

We need more pictures, frontal and comb backwards.

You need to be at least NW3 and loose at least 3cm of the hairline center, don't do temples only without center.

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

13 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Wow, that result looks really good! Basically indistinguishable from your native hair. Thanks very much for sharing.

You said this is at a 2 guard (faded down). If you go for a 1 guard or shorter, would the difference between transplanted and native hair be perceptible? Since transplanted hair is taken from the back and meant to be slightly thicker. 

• Moderators

I always had naturally receded temple peaks much like yours since I was young. It bothered me slightly, but the rest of my hair falling out was a much bigger concern. Now that it's receded back further I do need to get some put into the sides to bring them forward a bit. I'd say go ahead and do it, but don't try to bring them forward too much or you may feel like you don't look like you. I wouldn't worry too much about further receding because it should only take a small amount of grafts to fill in the space.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 hours ago, Apostrophe1234 said:

Are you actually on medication like Finasteride for example at present to prevent future hair loss? 

Temple points can really help frame the face but i wouldn't say yours look like they would recede drastically much more back. 

Your age is still liable to leave you receding further on top and usually temple points and hairline have to be done in tandem to maintain a good balance to each other even if its just a small refinement. 

I guess my thread can give you a slightly better idea of what i mean with images there.