Precautions- Water and Sun

Hi Everyone- I’m going with the family to Disney in Orlando, Florida for 5 days. Temperatures should be around 75F (24 Celsius), so not too hot.

At that point, I’ll be around 7 weeks post FUE of 5,484 grafts.

My plan is to wear a bucket hat with 50+ UPF protection when outside.

I’ll also avoid swimming. Might be a silly question, but can I go in a chlorinated pool without putting my head in the water?

Any other recommendations for keeping my growing grafts ultra-safe?

Thanks!

You'll be fine, great precautions with the spf and bucket hat. Pretty sure at 7 weeks you'd be fine to swim, but I'd also be inclined to not push it.

I'd grab some spray/mist spf and if you're going to be out with out the hat just mist the the head and avoid sitting out under a a sunny sky for any duration with the hat. But you should be good at this point by and large with these couple precautions.

• Thanks 1

SLA,

it sounds like you’re already taking some great precautions just to be on the safe side. Frankly, at seven months postop you’ll be just fine. There’s no reason you can’t swim and do all the normal activities you would do just like you haven’t even had a hair transplant. That said, it’s always good to protect the scalp from the sun and the UV rays.  Using sunscreen and a protective hat when appropriate will certainly help you and protect your scalp and new soon to be growing hair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

5 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

SLA,

it sounds like you’re already taking some great precautions just to be on the safe side. Frankly, at seven months postop you’ll be just fine. There’s no reason you can’t swim and do all the normal activities you would do just like you haven’t even had a hair transplant. That said, it’s always good to protect the scalp from the sun and the UV rays.  Using sunscreen and a protective hat when appropriate will certainly help you and protect your scalp and new soon to be growing hair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks @Rahal Hair Transplanthowever, I will be 7 weeks post transplant rather than the 7 months indicated in your reply.

Not sure if that would change your advice 😀

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Why don’t you just speak to the doctor or clinic that performed your surgery? 

Yup @Curious25. My clinic, has an aftercare team and they said that I would be fine.

Since there are varying opinions and no set protocols on this matter, I just wanted to collect a wide scope of opinions, anecdotes and precautions.

9 minutes ago, SLA said:

Yup @Curious25. My clinic, has an aftercare team and they said that I would be fine.

Since there are varying opinions and no set protocols on this matter, I just wanted to collect a wide scope of opinions, anecdotes and precautions.

You’re more likely to run into headwinds if you delve into these wild scopes of opinions, anecdotes and precautions, as you have put it. 

Keep it simple and follow your clinics advice with everything - you’ve paid a lot of money at the end of the day, and placed your trust in their hands with providing you a good result, so be demanding of continuous follow up care, and go to them always for answers to these kinds of questions. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SLA said:

Yeah, you're asking for trouble by doing that! ;) I've never seen a wider variety of post-op "dos and don'ts" than I have in the hair transplant industry. There are sooo many discrepancies amongst so many surgeons that it's hard to keep track.

Ultimately, yes - it's best to follow your doctor's guidance - but there are cases where surgeons are so incredibly conservative in regards to their protocol that they'll tell patients something outlandish like "no clippers on your head for 8 weeks". 

So I think both things can be true: It's important to follow your surgeons guidelines, and you're going to run into some questions/gray areas where you may find that your surgeon is an outlier in one of their recommendations and perhaps decide to forgo their input. 

At this point, the main thing you need to be cautious about is sun exposure - which you seem to be well aware of,. So I'd say keep that SPF and bucket hat on and have an amazing vacation!

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56